With the weather so warm in Nottingham today ...

I'm hankering after a Tonibell icecream. I want the van to come down the road with its chimes playing; I want to pester my mum for the money for a cornet (fingers crossed even a 99 with toppings) and I want to dash out the house before the Tonibell van drives away.

On the other hand I could just scoop something out of the freezer ... but it's not the same as icecream van icecream.

There must be loads of ice cream memories amongst we Nottstalgians.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There goes society as we know it...they'll be legislating how long you can jump up and down on a hooker next.

The dog show we were at this weekend was in the combat zone They ripped off the catylitic converter off our friends Toyota ($1700) in broad daylight in the hotel parking in a 2 hr time frame . The

When I lived on Minver Crescent, Aspleh for them that know nowt, we had an ice cream van every evening outside Crane school gates at the top of Hilcot Drive.....................he was called Federici's, the family Federici resided in old Basford apparently.

He had a big handlebar moustache, made him look like Mario Fabrizi, remember him from the Army Game?

Then Mr Whippee & Mr Softee came along & Federici's was history!!

Funny you should start this topic today , as it's just been made legal for an ice cream seller to be able to play his chimes for 12 seconds instead of the normal maximum of 4.

There was a Scottish ice cream man on the radio giving the reasoning behind it this very afternoon. "It's because everybody has double or even triple glazing, meaning they can't hear us if we only play for 4 seconds "
Surely if they can't hear you, they can't hear you, full stop.

I guess it means that the chimes can only be heard at all when the van is directly passing the house - not like when I were a lad, and you could hear it in the next street, and start whingeing and wheedling for pennies in good time...

Funny you should start this topic today , as it's just been made legal for an ice cream seller to be able to play his chimes for 12 seconds instead of the normal maximum of 4.

There goes society as we know it...they'll be legislating how long you can jump up and down on a hooker next.

• Upvote 1

bamber, you can rent a van!

http://www.tonibell99.co.uk/

I honestly can't ever remember these vans, well not around our road anyway. I think I'd have remembered the bright pink livery.

Hi Katyjay,

Reminds meof the time I was in Page and had the most humungous banana split. Three scoops of icecream and lovely whipped cream.

My son has just texted as they are waiting to board the 4.05 pm cross channel ferry from Calais to Dover . Says a Mr WHIPPY ice cream van has just disembarked on the French side . Sounds enterprising as they can probably charge double the price over there .

Of course he could have been going to France to get his supplies ? Maybe its cheaper there ? Or maybe he sells under the counter baccy ?

No it wasn't a DQ. From memory it was a solo trader. I think the lady behind the counter took a shine to my English accent and gave me an extra large helping.

We're having home made knickerbocker glories with our BBQ this evening.

Jelly, sliced strawbs, ice cream, flaked almonds, hundreds and thousands, chocolate topping, cherries, whipped cream and a fantail wafer. I cannot wait!!!

we still have ice cream van come round in the summer i like his chocolate sunday best .

by the way forgot to say out in derbyshire today teps reached 30.5 degrees in the car good job we got air con in the car.

I used to like a 99 Mister whippy

Now I have a Very berry sundae from Costco $1.50 even have one when its cold weather 65- 70 Deg.

It seemed that when you hit 16yrs old it wasn't cool to be seen with a ice cream.

You could only get away with it on ollyday.

should be a good night again at mfn about 2/3 thousand bikes on wednessday.