Can anyone remember the kinds of vending machines that we would have outside shops,I can recall the chewing gum machines with the beechnut and juicy fruit and a mixed fruit all in the little sweet coated tablet form,i know there were other flavors but i can't remember what they were.My hubby can remember getting Park Drive in 5s and matches,and i remember the cartons of milk,always came in handy,when shops used to close at the end of the day ,not like now when you can get anything you want anytime. I'm sure there were others,any one remember any.

I remember these stuffed with gobstoppers but the shopkeeper would take them in at night they never had to chain them up in those days

Postage Stamp Vending Machines outside the Post Office.

Numerous Chewing Gum machines.

Polo (Mint with the Hole)

I just remembered, When you used the chewing gum machines,every 4th time you got 2 packs, :) you always knew when it was due by the amount of kids (us) hanging round,pennies at the ready.

Cliffton

Thankyou for that picture,i thought i remembered, the ciggy machine along with the chewing gum ones outside Richardsons in the olden days :unsure: when it was on the other side of Main Road Gedling, down towards Hardy's Drive.

PS I see the sign Chancery Place in the image,any idea where that is.

Our local newsagent had chocolate machines in the 60s. Being blessed with thin hands and long fingers, I soon worked out that you could put your hand up the slot and 'flip' the chocolate bars to get them to drop out. :)

Later, I found out that a good old English shilling was exactly the same size as a German Mark coin, and fitted German cigarette machines perfectly, even though they were a quarter of the value. That was one cheap holiday. ;)

Being blessed with thin hands and long fingers, I soon worked out that you could put your hand up the slot and 'flip' the chocolate bars to get them to drop out. :)

And nowadays being blessed with a crowbar and a nicked Toyota they'd swipe the whole sodding machine.

• Upvote 2

There used to be a Cadbury's Dairy Milk one outside "The Corner Shop" (Cavendish Road/Garden City) in Carlton.

Also what about the newsagents leaving the Evening Post in a rack out side the shop and an 'honesty slot' in the door. When did they stop? (Even at our baddest we would never even think of pinching one !)

Apparently, Barton's fitted some chocolate machines inside their buses once but they didn't last long because people found out how to fiddle them and the chocolate was usually melted anyway!

Re condom machines; the one in the Blacks Head Carlton, had 'the kite mark' and "Manufactured to British Standard # 234534." proudly emblazoned on the side. Some wag also inscribed it "So was the Titanic"

• Upvote 1