Memories of the long school holiday

Hi All,

I have been reminiscing again and wondered if any of you have noticed much difference in the way the children today spend the six weeks holiday compared to ours in the 50s and 60s,

Our main pass times,would have been spent up the woods,making dens,and,generally climbing trees ,going home dirty and exhausted,to a lovely tea and Tin bath (you know the ones) first in got the clean water.

Down the Cricket field or Pleasure Park On Trent Lane,Jam or potted meat sandwiches,crisps with little bag of salt and a sucker on well of days,

Walking up Greenies fields with mam and picnic to our rolypoly bank,and some where on the Trent towards Lowdham way we would go when dad got a little black car,all the kids used to have to look out the back window for bits dropping off,Mam and dad called it our private beach (we believed him) because there was never anyone else there,and occasionally the back of the chesterfield,with many other local families.Not a lot off money was ever spent,simply because there was none.Seaside never happened until i was a teenager,but it wasn't missed.I wish i could magic one day back in time.

Can you all remember your summer school holiday and care to share.Ok Relax every one I'v finished now LOL

• Upvote 1

Mostly spend playing street games, not many cars to get out of the way of. Even in the evenings, playing hide and seek or marbles etc. Playing in Broxtowe Woods, making dens, cowbugs and injuns with the lads, playing on the meadow past the woods, picking wildflowers, roly-poly down the hill. Going for long walks, Kimberley, Nuthall, Strelley. Going fishing on Fowler's Pond, with a net and a jam jar, or catching butterflies with same net on Little and Big parks, or just playing on the park with all the kids around there Whatever we did, it was outdoors, not playing the house, or up in the bedroom, that was for sleeping only. If it was a wet day [and can't remember many, ha ha, always sunny in the summer holidays!] I'd colour, or read a book. NO TELLY!

• Upvote 1

Katyjay

You have added many things that i had forgotten,reading your post makes me realize we all did similar things,no matter what area we came from,we all had our woods and meadows,to build our dens.Lovely memories,Thank you for yours. Yes Katyjay No Telly.

Katyjay #2

Getting back to all the different activities and games you have mentioned,and i have remembered another one,We used to find a long two pronged stick or make a

circle with a thin twig and go along the hedgerows collecting cobwebs, the winner was the one who had the most webs, in the innocence of childhood we never considered the implications of what we were doing to the poor spiders.But you live and learn and its one that i wouldn't pass on :No1:

• Upvote 1

We spent many times there LizzieM,It was usually all day or at least as long as we were allowed,i can picture the layout now,i had a swimming costume,that when i got out of the water it would blow up as if it was inflated,some reaction to the air i imagine,i must have been getting to the age when things can embarrass you,because i can still remember after all these years.Got many a sun burn there going in and out the water,no real sun creams then. Grandma lived on Vicarage St,off Alfred St,so we would go visiting after.

All of the above , long walks mainly in Aspley, Broxtowe, Strelley, Bilborough, Wollaton & beyond, once got as far as Clifton!!...............also massive games of cricket on Melbourne Park, seemed to last for days, or football in the street usually with a 'Frido' (remember them?) plastic football that burst or deflated on the first day, only meant for beach use

Paddling and swimming in the river Smite, long walks around the fields, building dens, camping in local woods, collecting bugs, fishing, cricket, football, one year I made a coracle and used it on the Grantham Canal.

Great times,

Forgot about paddling Bulwell Bogs, we'd walk there from Amesbury Circus, also Bulwell Lido on hot days. We'd walk to Billy Bacon's field too, to paddle. Nobody worried where we were, or worried about being nabbed!

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the garden today pottering about ( I'm at that age now where every thing is done at pottering speed) and i saw the little holes on my some of my flower leaves, and it took me straight back once more to my childhood,and another pastime, when we used to lift the leaves on cabbages and Nastyertions and collect the little caterpillars, and put them in our jam jars, probably kept them on the kitchen top and thrilled mam when they escaped. :unsure:

We lived in Strelley as kids near Moores Farm, we walked over the fields to what we called Bluebell Woods, which had a pond and we collected tadpoles and kept them until they grew into frogs. Yes summer holidays seemed to last forever.

Much time spent on the area behind Godfrey street, Netherfield. At that time there were many allotments there. Now it is the site of the colwick loop road. Always enjoyed flying a kite there, shooting at water rats in the ditch with a galley. Wore ourselves out and dragged ourselves in at dark. TV was in its infancy but we didn't have much interest in it.

Six weeks seemed to last forever, six weeks away from hell they call school. that feeling of freedom walking home from school, no more fighting and bulling, that was the teachers, no more boring maths lessons I didn't understand.

''school's out for summer''. Alice Cooper on the radio our anthem. ripped blazer.

Waking up every morning to watch Robinson Crusio, Bell and Sebastian or Why don't you, hated that, all these posh kids from Surrey telling us what to make and do. being able to stop in bed longer, but darn dreaming of school. Going on long country walks with ye mates. today kids get on the bus, and get off the next stop.

Sherbet dips, them love hear sweets, lavender sweets, and triangle blocks of ice that last six weeks in a paper carton, you'd wait to until it melted a bit then sup it and get it all darn yer togs. Those ice pop long ice things. Mr whippy ice cream. Shandy and Riley's crisps on a youth club trip to Skeggy.

Going to the flicks, kick a can in the street, apple scrumping with ye mates. those long summer days and nights hangin around the shops. Girls from another youth club coming to ours lookin for boys in packs, armed with hair brushes and makeup smelling nice, Boys in gangs ith combs in their pockets looking for girls.

Silver Blade ice skating saturday morning. skating around the rink hand in hand with a girl, wishing you had the girl your mate was skating with, then off to the match down the road Sheffield United, Bramal lane.

The sunday night before going back to hell, school., the nerves the butterflies in ye tummy, not being able to sleep. thinking of the school bully and being his punch bag. falling aslep 5 minutes before it;s time to get up, mam shouting get up! yer late, yer completely shattered. Readybreck for breakfast. school book ready to put darn ye pants just in case you got the cane, ride to hell on school bus, hoping you'll survive the journey without being scalped, and covered in flour bombs, smellin like a lass in perfume, mugged fer dinner money. misery ahead. arriving at the gates of hell. Load of tiny kids their first day looking uncomfortable in their new togs. clutching timetables and directions to classes, brand new satchels the smell of leather, nervous wrecks, so naive of the doom and torture ahead.

• Upvote 4

Wow Mick. that'e one thing I like about this site, people go to a lot of trouble, for other members. like this, thank you Mick, I'll enjoy these.

I have all The Robinson one's on DVD the quality is poor though. What was the Hungarian tv prog on in a morning also, a sqwahbuckler?. De Da.

De Da, that takes me back a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wauuYrVQ4y8

Boy that song is beautiful. nearly had to grab the tissues. If you listen carefully, it's almost the tune of Kung fu theme tune, David Carradine, it kept going through my head as I was listening. very similar. thanx mate. De Da.

Loved the theme tune on this one. A desert island would suit me, as long as there was a chippie near by, would expect one though. Thanks De Da..

This, I cant remember?

OOh Mick mi hearings gone. I make make full scale nuclear submarines out of old washing up bottles sticky back plastic and a jar of plutonium, but I always ask mi mum to use the scissors for me, wouldn't want to hurt ourselves would we.

There we go,Middle class Surrey children. ''Why don't I turn off the TV and do something interesting instead?. What a cheek!.

ha ha.thanx Mick, think I'll try some of this. guess my old tank top won't fit now. . De Da.