School rivalry.

When I was at Trent Bridge school in the 60's the rival/enemy school was Mundella. We used to shout "red & yella monkey-della," then run like hell. What other schools were rivals with each other?.. P.S. I went out with a girl from Mundella but dared not tell my TB schoolmates. :)

Rushcliffe and West Bridgford Comp in the 70's..........though it was pretty tame stuff to be honest from what I can remember!! I moved to the Comp catchment area from Rushcliffe's when I was in the 3rd year and had the choice to go there. Naturally I declined and continued to go to Rushcliffe. I remember walking to and from school through the Comp mob wearing my black and white stripped tie, feeling a little uneasy. I soon made good friendships with them eventually!

There was always friendly rivalry between Carlton-le-Willows Grammar and Carlton-le-Willows Tech. Can't remember witnessing any real battles, other than snowball fights over the fence (as we were right next door to each other). I would say that Arnold High were the biggest rivals in my day but Carlton-le-Willows GS always beat Arnold HS on the sports field ....... Well we were the better school after all !!

When I was at Trent Bridge school in the 60's the rival/enemy school was Mundella. We used to shout "red & yella monkey-della," then run like hell. What other schools were rivals with each other?.. P.S. I went out with a girl from Mundella but dared not tell my TB schoolmates. :)

Well, my dad went to Trent Bridge boys, leaving in 1931 I think, and my mum went to Mundella, leaving in 1935 or 36. Her mum was also at Mundella from when it first opened - I guess she must have left about 1912. The "monkey-della, red and yella - can't afford an umber-ella" thing was already on the go then.

It was Frank Wheldon vs Gedling Comp in my day, although they did have a real big 'kick off' against Carlton Le Willows down on the Cricket field on Burton Road in around '76. I wasn't there (Honest) but I did hear of a certain PE teacher from Le Willows (The name Bruce Petford rings a bell) getting a good kicking, from our lot and some of the Le Willows kids too.

I'd been left there 10 years by then Beefsteak and I don't recognise the name of the PE teacher but I do know that the Master in Charge of Sport when I was at C-le-W would never have been tackled ......... a certain Dai Roberts. All the boys feared him!! (And he was the reason we had an all-conquering rugby team)

Bilborough Grammar and William Crane (now the Samworth Academy). Sometimes there was rivalry with Glaisdale School (now Haddon Park High). I used to just keep out of the way like a true coward.

Bruce Petford was a maths teacher. I first knew him when he was a student teacher then we had him for two years as a form master. I heard unofficially that he's died (heavy smoker) but not sure. We didn't learn much with him as we were always playing cricket in the nets.

When I moved to Bestwood Village I went to Beardall st in Hucknall, the other local school was National, I can't remember any rivalry between them, my best mate & then girlfriend went to national. My Wife went to Hollygirt, she said they didn't have any rivals, hmm..

I did say I wasn't there! Probably a name that was bandied around at the time! (Although he may have gone out to put a stop to it and got caught in the cross fire!!)

I must say that in the 50s and 60s, sport provided the biggest rivalry. Each school had its own teams playing one another on Saturday morning. We had a good football team at Glenbrook Juniors but were no match for Player and William Crane who both had A and B teams.

Later, at Bilborough Grammar I chose running and ran most Saturday mornings through the winter. We were a strong team and I remember running at Manver, Fairham Comp, Margot Glen Bott and many others.

Mundella in the mid/late fifties, we used to do cross country runs on sports days. From the changing rooms, down past the Memo gardens, over Spenii and turn right along the river. Passing William Becket, where we would throw any rubbish, stones, bricks, anything we coud lay our hands on over their fence, and then on down a narrow pathway between the backs of houses and a fenced off area where boats were moored. Heading towards what was to become John Deering? school. I think it was Deering then. Turning around when we got there.

By time we got back to William Becket they would have prepared their retaliation, and buckets of water and grass sods would be thrown over as we passed, heading back to Spenii, the Memo Gardens and our changing rooms. Whilst Mundella has long since gone, our changing rooms are still there:

changing.jpg

Not that far from the Memo Gardens:

memo.jpg

Excuse the quality of the photos. It's hard to get high resolution piccies, even with a special camera lense, from Melbourne Oz.

When I was at Trent Bridge school in the 60's the rival/enemy school was Mundella.

Trent Bridge wasn't a school. It was just a semi-prison instituted to keep yobs off the streets. It was approved, as in an approved school. :laugh:

As Lizzie said, the rivalry between the two Carlton le Willows schools was fierce, on and off the rugby and hockey pitches. We had some great snowball fights, considering we were only separated by a grass bank. But it was mostly all good-natured until the teachers stepped-in.

Although I may have caused some problems as, soon after leaving the Grammar, I started dating the daughter of the Tech's headmaster. :)

A year later, they were merged into one huge Comprehensive and all the rivalry gradually faded into obscurity.

There was also a lot of rivalry between Gedling and Cavvo, and as I had one brother who went to Gedling, while another had been to Cavvo, it was fun for a while in our house!

Annie Holgate Tech Grammar and Annie Holgate Secondary, in Hucknall, with only a playing field to separate them. Rivalry was strong with a "class" thing going on between the two schools. Snow ball fights were fierce and eventually banned with the H & S brigade stepping in and both schools being kept in if there was snow on the ground in the 70's. (Didn't cause problems for me though, my brother went to the secondary and I went to the grammar)

We always had the edge over visiting Cross Country teams. Our course went through a small but extremely muddy derelict open cast mine roughly where the M1 passes through Catstone Hill near Strelley. Everyone came back with about 10 tons of mud sticking to their legs (slight exaggeration).

Can anyone remember when Alderman Derbyshire School was called Blenheim? My cousin went there at that time.

Trent Bridge wasn't a school. It was just a semi-prison instituted to keep yobs off the streets. It was approved, as in an approved school. :laugh:

I think you're probably right, I was one of the yobs. :) When I moved to Beardall st school in Hucknall it was genteel in comparison, I was the new kid there & didn't get beat-up, all new kids (unless they were very tough) got beat-up or got the rack at TB..

• 1 year later...

On BESTWOOD EST, It was Padstow v High Pavement,which were opposite each other on Gainsford crescent,never any real bother as most lads of same age knew each other,the Teachers organised Cricket and football matches between us,we (Padstow) always beat em,but Rugby was different they hammered us,mainly because we did'nt understand the rules and thought it was ok to kick and thump em,........yes they beat us........but really enjoyed beating em up. :biggrin:

When I worked at Gedling School in the 70s - early eighties there was fierce rivalry with Frank Wheldon School.

I remember one end of term the word went out, 'The Frankies are coming down.' but it rained so they didn`t.

Phew!

The battles usually seemed to run in the estate but they sometimes hung about on Wollaton Avenue at home time.