House Selling, one of lifes little traumas!

Well that's interesting cos when we put our house on the market earlier this year we were told it's no longer necessary to get an EPC. We had to get one when we moved over here in 2006, but it has been stopped because they weren't worth the paper they were written on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just sold our house in Devon (and haven't yet completed on the one we are buying in Shropshire - therefore camping with our daughter in Sandiacre). It took just 8 weeks to sell, and the agent's commis

Sold the house today, nightmare with solicitors and land registry. Now living in Wollaton.

Estate Agents. Nottingham Property Services (Nottingham Building Society) have dealt with my last two sales. They have been excellent. Frank Innes Nottingham... NEVER touch with a bargepole! We too

Estate Agents.

Nottingham Property Services (Nottingham Building Society) have dealt with my last two sales. They have been excellent.

Frank Innes Nottingham... NEVER touch with a bargepole!

We took our first house off sale with them after it being on sale for months, gave it to the Nottingham, who not only sold it for us within a few weeks but had several buyers outbidding each other to buy it.

Glad to hear we got a clean report!! Im a whole of market mortgage broker that works for them - so if anyone needs a bit of free advice throw it at me :)

Frank Innes wouldn't let me have a flat in 69 for £5 per week, even though I was on £14 pw and my dad had given me £300.

Beardsley Theobalds, not operating under that name anymore, but were totally useless, incompetent and moreover corrupt.

Bought a house in Bassingfield, agreed the asking price, sold my house in Wollaton, signed the paperwork , then without informing me, was gazumped. I only found out when I enquired after several weeks of waiting.I'd already agreed a leaving date with the buyer of my Wollaton house so I had to move my family out and rent a property in Kirkby for six months until I found a property in Saxondale. More travelling time to work and great inconvenience and extra expense all round . If I ever encounter anyone who worked for Beardsley Theobalds in the mid 80's, I will hurt them !

We have an estate agents down here in Devon whose family name is Force. So when they sell a house, the flag goes on the board "Sold by Force" - You imagine the knuckle-dusters and thumb-screws in their little back room : "Ve haf vays and means of MAKING you buy zis house !"

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOVE DEN.NEED TO FIND SOME WERE AND MOVE BUT AT THE SAME TIME DREAD THE THOUGHT OF PACKING EVERY THING UP AND ACTUALLY MOVING STILL BOXES IN THE CELLAR FROM OUR LAST MOVE 10 YEARS AGO . BOXES IN THE BACK ROOM FROM WHEN I HAD NEW CARPETS PUT DOWN 5 YEARS AGO AND I PACKED THINGS SO WE COULD MOVE ALL THE FURITURE ABOUT NEVER GOT ROUND TO SORTING IT OUT SO ITS STILL BOXED UP THAT MY JOB FOR THIS WINTER SORT IT ALL OUT THROW AWAY WHAT NEEDS THROWING CHARITY SHOPS FOR THING THAT GOOD BUT I NO LONGER WANTAND PACK THE BITS I WANT TO KEEP INTO BOXES ALONG WITH OTHER STUFF I AM NOT USING AT THE MOMENT BUT DONT WANT TO GET RID OF THEN IF I DO FIND SOMEWERE IN THE NEW YEAR SOME OF IT WILL ALREADY BE DONE.

It is typically 6% anywhere in the US - but you can negotiate it lower if it is a big $$$ house, or not selling well. However, the 6% is split between the selling and the buying realtor, and they have to share it with their agency - so you don't finish up with all that much!

Yes I know that Eric. Selling a property in the States isn't as simple as in the UK where you instruct an agent and pay them 1.5 or 2%. We're just putting a property on the market in Florida and have been quoted 6% which is a big chunk of money out of anyone's wallet. On the agreement it states that the realtor splits the wad 50/50 with the buyer's agent. We'll see how it goes, none of us want to sell but the long-haul flights get longer as we get older and we don't get here as often as we'd like.

• 2 months later...

My wife's a Broker/Realtor, her commission can be as high as 10%, but remember, the seller pays out nothing until the property sale is closed. So if it's on the market for a year or more, not unknown!!, she has to swallow all advertising, time showing the property etc etc...

She could have a couple of thousand invested in a listed property by the time it sells, so it's not all icing on the cake.

At one time, she handled all the local VA foreclosures, ie, trash out the house, clean and repaint the property and also take care of the grounds and property until it sold. We made quite a living out of that, hard work, and we collected some great things trashing out properties.

Just sold our house in Devon (and haven't yet completed on the one we are buying in Shropshire - therefore camping with our daughter in Sandiacre). It took just 8 weeks to sell, and the agent's commission was 1%. We even found a reasonable (and efficient) removal firm who took charge of storing our stuff until we can move in up Shropshire. We are not complaining !

• Upvote 2