Importance of getting your spelling correct

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ultimately it's the content which is more important than the means of getting there. I'd sooner read something interesting which may not be grammatically perfect, rather than something perfect which

Eye have a spelling chequer, It came with my Pea Sea. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss Steaks I can knot sea. Eye strike the quays and type a whirred And weight four it two say Weather eye am wr

Don't you think all this talk about spelling and punctuation might put some people of posting. Life is to short.

Ultimately it's the content which is more important than the means of getting there.

I'd sooner read something interesting which may not be grammatically perfect, rather than something perfect which is boring.

• Upvote 11

Don't worry Sue, we know what you meant.

Whilst I agree effective communication is very important, when was the last time anyone came to a wrong conclusion or made a bad decision, because of a misplaced apostrophe on a piece of text?

• Upvote 3

Stop Bonging the Bill,hes left by the back Pissage,................i love Allo Allo' :biggrin:

I know it sounds like excuses, but this rotten Ipad has a nasty habit of deciding it knows better about what I mean than I do and I don't notice until after I posted that it changed a word to something ridiculous in the context. Also seems to have a bad tendency to leave the last letter off a word.

• Upvote 1

I have the same problem with my iPad Dave, almost every time I want to put an upper case letter I end up with a Z then the rest of the word. It also decides to swap other letters which then doesn't make any sense of a sentence. Having said that though, it's far more convenient to use than sitting at a desk on the PC.

• Upvote 2

For those of you who cannot grasp where and when to put an apostrophe, read this book and learn, and have a laugh at the same time. The example on the cover shows how important they are.

a0404737-975d-4e4c-bdbf-00866a0a2d45_zps

aka. Jock Strap :)

I have the same problem with my iPad, especially when typing quickly. I also damaged my reading glasses recently, and they are now a little bent, so I'm always looking at an angle. However, it only takes a second or two to check ones post.

I was going to suggest that everyone checks what they've written prior to posting, but if you are convinced that you are right, and there is no need to do it, then what's the point.

I suppose at the end of the day as long as we can all understand it, then that's ok.

• 11 months later...

Used to be good at spelling when at school..........but last few years ive got worse......anyway ive noticed ive spelt Gandhi 3 wrong ways in last couple of days on here,.......Gandy......Gandie.......Ghandi..............should'nt have because i remembered just now got a book about him,..so apologies to

Mohandas k. Gandhi or is it Mahatmacoat ?

Yes Ian,............and Tescos and Hospitall and the Londoners call us Nottnum,then theres them that call Scots Scotch and Southwell Southall...........Awhight mite.

Wrong spelling isn't the only problem, wrong words are just as bad.

Predictive text is designed to make people look stupid by sneaking in a word which looks like the one you wanted, but isn't quite the correct one. But you don't notice it.

So people think you're writing meaningless gibberish, but in fact you meant something else and haven't noticed that the technology has beaten you.