Importance of getting your spelling correct

People writing mindless gibberish. Surely not Cliff. Unheard of on here.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ultimately it's the content which is more important than the means of getting there. I'd sooner read something interesting which may not be grammatically perfect, rather than something perfect which

Eye have a spelling chequer, It came with my Pea Sea. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss Steaks I can knot sea. Eye strike the quays and type a whirred And weight four it two say Weather eye am wr

Don't you think all this talk about spelling and punctuation might put some people of posting. Life is to short.

Its funny, no matter how many times I read a post before I hit send something always manages to sneak by me. I find a word with a letter missing etc. i'm not sure if I can switch this predictive text thing off on my Ipad, but I don't find it much help.

Malapropism is the act of using an incorrect word in place of one that is similar in pronunciation.

The word comes from a character named Mrs. Malaprop in the play "The Rivals" by Richard Brinsley Sheridan.

But they can be fun too

Incontinent instead of incompetent

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-malapropism.html

Its not only spelling and apostrophies (?) that are problematic. Its also pronouciation. Here in Italy when a woman marries she retains her maiden name not that of her husband. After many years of being Mrs C I have had to revert to my maiden name which is Boyle.

Can they pronounce it correctly? Every letter is pronounced in italian so I become Signora Boyle eh, no its Boyle ....until the next time.

Its a bit off topic but it came into mind reading back along this topic.

• Upvote 1

It just goes to show that there's nothing like the English language to flummox the foreigners.

• Upvote 1

#80. Very interesting, nonnaB, about what you say about your married-name. I did not know about the Italian rule/law concerning wives. It prompts me to ask some questions:

Why have you had to revert to your maiden-name; has the law been changed?

If we take a fictional English woman (let's call her Jane Smith) who marries an Italian and then lives in Italy, then:

If her children were born in Italy, what is the mother's name on the birth certificate - Signora Smith or Signora (Italian name)?

If she was not married, does the birth certificate say Signora or Signorina?

If the marriage comes to an end, either by divorce or death of the husband, and she returns to England to live there, what would be her 'official' name; Smith or Italian? I ask this because any official documents she brings with her might have her maiden-name as official.

Sorry if you do not know the answers, but it is an interesting subject, now that you have mentioned it.

Chulla, you are being petty............

• Upvote 1

Why do you say that, Blondie? I asked the questions because the subject struck me as interesting. The question about the unmarried woman I now realise was not necessary - not relevant.

Wow Chulla.....Ok lets take it one step at a time.......now I'm sitting comfortably I'll begin,

1). will have to look back.

All woman retain their maiden names, from birth to death. Its always been like that. When I first met A's family I thought his mother had had 7 illegitimate children !

2) In my case both my children were born in uk. But as you say if a woman marries an italian and goes to live in italy and has children ,her children take the surname of their father. The mothers name is "Jane Smith" not Signora or Signorina.

3) If Jane divorces and returns to uk its up to her whether she retains her married name or reverts to her maiden name. She will have documents in both names in uk or italy. ( I presume)

Complications crop up when it comes to travelling. I always travel with my ID which is in my maiden name, I have let my passport expire which I could still use ,if updated, in my married name. Same if I had documents or anything official in my married name and they were needed here. So far no problem. I tried to get them to put my married name on as well to my ID and they couldn't do it because of the privacy laws. Its a nuisance but you get used to it.

Marrying an Italian gives you automatic dual nationality which both my children have.

Hope this answers your questions.

Stephenford, I keep telling them the "e" is silent but it makes no difference. We have a delivery man who delivers almost every week and I have to sign for the parcel and every time he asks for my name and every time he looks at the signature he answers with the "e". So what do you do. Its only my oncologist that gets it right maybe because he also speaks english.

• Upvote 1

Blondie don't worry he wasn't being petty. Italy has a lot of things I don't know much about AND I don't like but I live here and Im still learning after many years . It does make life difficult sometimes but the weather is beautiful ( more often than not) lol

I shouldn't think it's a problem here in England. I don't think many people get married anyway.

I can remember what school children used to say if you got your grammar wrong.

YO FICK YO ARE!!!

• Upvote 1

#86. With Italian women never changing their name on marriage, makes tracing their family history so much easier. Bet Annswabey gives that a big tick!