Are ya reedin' owt good?

Can't get through a day without dipping into a book or three! My grandma (here she is again!) used to say, "Ye'rd read the bleddy rent book if yer ent gorrowt else"

What do you like? I like a good novel where the characters are well defined so that you care about what happens to them. If I get the slightest feeling of, "he wouldn't say that!" it puts me right off. Doesn't really matter what the story is. You wouldn't call Stephen King's novels believable, but his characters generally are.

Have enjoyed the crime novels of Michael Connelly, R. J. Ellory (no, not Ellroy) and Dennis Lehane to a lesser degree. Can't get on with Patterson or those Jack Reacher books (I think it put me off when his girlfriend "skipped" across the car park - gerraht!!!)

Also like non-fiction - currently reading The Battle of Towton, Aircraft Incidents in Nottinghamshire 1930-1945 and Yoga for Life (!) and have just picked up Richard of England (was Perkin Warbeqc really Edward IV's younger son?).

Can't get on with Kindles - not the same somehow. There's a quote by Gilbert Highet on the wall as you go into Arnold library ..."These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves ..." (Google the full quote - it's brill) I don't get that feeling with a Kindle.

Ennyway, I'm gunna gerroff nah an eya reed!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At a recent funeral I saw a lot of my family I don't see a lot of (sad that happens at funerals). I started taking the mick out of my brothers 2 grand kids about spending all their time on phones &amp

Not so much of the science & more of the fiction.

Yup, everyone's posts on Nottstalgia

I often have 3-4 books on the go at the same time, all fiction. I can just pick whichever one I fancy up and carry on where I left off, my friends can't believe I don't get the stories mixed up. I love Peter James' Roy Grace series, just read his latest Dead Man's Time. Started out with Dead Simple and was hooked! I like Sue Grafton's alphabet series, they have got better with each one, the last one I read V is for Vengeance was her best. I like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, warning, don't read in a public place, you'll get strange looks when you burst out laughing! The other fave authors are Carl Hiaasen, David Baldacci, Stephen Booth, John Harvey, Martha Grimes, Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, you might guess, I like a murder mystery. For light entertainment I like Jojo Moyes and Maeve Binchy. Used to read John Grisham and Patricia Cornwell, but got tired of them.

I am trying to collect books by as many Nottingham authors as I can. I have picked them up at library sales and car boots. I still need a few Sillitoe numbers but have most of Lawrences but struggling to read them. I am at present reading Leen Times by A R Dance, having read Narrow Marsh by the same author.

Loved Stuart MacBride at first but his last offering anoyed me, Michael Rowbotham has done some great stories, enjoyed his last one "Say Your sorry".

Love Ian Rankin and his Rebus series.

Love my ebook reader too ! got a Sony but just upgraded to the latest Kindle Paperwhite, best thing since sliced bread !

Tried going back to a paperback my SIL gave me, but it annoyed the hell out of me reading in bed (thats where I read the most).

Thanks folks. Always on the lookout for new authors. I've tried to read Lawrence, but couldn't get on with him. Having lived for years in Eastwood I thought it was obligatory! It was funny hearing folk who's parents knew Lawrence what they actually though of him. He upset quite a lot of the locals, particularly the wealthy Barber family, by including them in his books - not very well disguised either! They thought, "Ay wer a mucky bugger. Ay used t' gi the gels a 'apeney t' stand on ther' 'eds so 'e cud see ther nickers"

Having been a keen hill walker I also like the Stephen Booth books set in Derbyshire, and I'll definitely try Peter James, katyjay. I Forgot my favourite author on the original post - Patrick O'Brian, the best historical novelist EVER (the British Navy in the Napoleonic Wars). Have read James Herbert's "Secret of Critchley Hall" - perhaps I'll revisit the ones you mentioned, fch.

So many books, so little time...!!

Ayup! Nowt wrong with the Beano or Dandy. Throw in the Topper & Beezer as well! A lot of kids learnt to read by reading comics.

Add Joan Wallace to the above. I also have a huge collection of books about Nottingham and local railway stuff if we are going to stray into non-fiction.

Recently finished another Patricia Cornwell book. Great forensic detail and good story lines.

If anybody does think of reading her books, read them in the order of publication. I'm afraid I didn't and had difficulty remembering where it slotted in with the others. However, great books.

Re # 8.

First James Herbert book I read was 'the Fog', scared me witless, :) I've also read The Rats', 'The Rats have found their Lair &,' Fluke'. I don't usually read fiction but made an exception with JH, I mostly like true stories..

Re # 9 &10.

I got shouted at by English teacher for reading the Dandy & Beezer ect, wasn't classed as proper reading, why I don't know..

Affergorrit, definitely read Peter James in order, the main characters have their own stories and it helps if you know what went before. His stories are real page turners and he does very short chapters, great if you only read a bit at a time. Like I said, first book is Dead Simple, and all have Dead in the title.

I used to read the comics too, as you can see!. Dandy on Tuesday and Beano Thursday if I remember right. My Mum used to get me the Classic Comic series which I suppose were the forerunner of today's graphic novels. These were brilliant adaptations of classic books such as War of the Worlds and plays like Cyrano de Bergerac, both of which are still firm favourites of mine. I see that you can still get them and they are recommended reading in some schools.

I read all the "Charlie Resnick" novels that are based in Nottingham - pretty good. The "Roy Grace" novels are in a similar vein, based in Brighton. If you like those authors Kath, try stuff by Ann Cleves - they are very good too.

I couldn't stick with Grafton's Alphabet series - I read about four of them and got bored - found them a little lacking in character depth.

On the subject of reading I was once asked by the man in the back, What five books made an impression on me." I think he just wanted to pass some time away from business but it got both of us thinking. My eventual answer was " I cant find the five most important in such a quick fashion but I do know that top of the list is Enid Blyton because without her getting me to acknowledge that my brain can create better pictures than comics can I would never have had the interest that I still have , so many years afterward, in reading.

yeh im am catching up on all the treads on here always find something interesting on here

• Upvote 1

Re #20 - good answer. I know everybody gets sniffy about Enid Blyton, but for kids in various age ranges from about 3 to 13 she produced books with actual storylines, that kids wanted to read (or initially have read to them). I know it was all a bit far from the likes of us (thank goodness) - boarding schools, and kids whose parents employed cooks and gardeners and what not. Fortunately, we weren't sufficiently politicised then to turn our noses up at their middle-class toff lifestyle. But it's hard to write stuff that's interesting if its just more of what we are already familiar with. At any age we are naturally interested in something that is just outside our experience - whether "how it used to be" (the great attraction of this site), "how the other half live", or "how it is in other places/countries/cultures."

At least Enid Blyton's stories had a beginning, a middle and an end (always happy!) - none of which seems to be essential these days. In addition, while her stories may have been a bit moralistic, she didn't try to weave the latest politically correct twaddle into her stories. They were for entertainment, not thinly veiled brainwashing.

• Upvote 1