Clowers funeral service

Hi, I just wondered if anyone on here had any old photographs of Clower's funeral service which used to be at Canning Circus up until 1976 when it closed, before it was Clowers it was called Wentworths funeral service in the early 1900's. After it closed it change to Mr. Haddocks, then Something Special, a Beer Kellar and now more lately The Ropewalk. Thank you!

Welcome to Nottstalgia

Yes I remember working there as an apprentice electrician for the Co-op late 60s.

So it may even have been one of those places that were owned by The Nottingham Coop at that time.

No pictures though

I take it pic 1 comes after pics 2 and 3....the co-op seem to have cleaned the place up...also added a window to the side of the taller building....but then the window has gone again in the newer pics.

Thank you so much for this, it's part of my family history and I've been looking for a picture for years. It was owned by Richard Clower as an Independant family run business and then taken over by GNCS the Greater Nottingham Co-operative Society which also sadly doesn't exist anymore.

Remember the building well as my dad was taken there in 1973 when he died, think it was the Co-op by then. It is one of those things that become etched into your memory, like where you were when president Kennedy got assasinated.

• 3 months later...

Hi Michele

My father worked for R Clower & Son, then the Co-op until he retired about 1973. I was wondering what is your connection with the company. Did a relative work for them? I would be interested to know if they knew my father, Ernest Crabtree.

Mary

• Upvote 1

Benjamin 1945.....was it Clowers where, from the footpath outside, you could see through a large window into a room and watch the stonemasons working on the gravestones etc ????

It would have been back in the early 60s from memory.

• Upvote 1

WrightFamily001_zps21c508d2.png

Hello Michelle & Mary, this is a family photo from late 1953, the bloke at the back smoking a pipe is Walter Wright with Eva his wife beside him. He worked for Clowers until emigrating to Australia a year or two later where on going into a similar job he was greeted with open arms & numerous 'perks', obviously not a popular job.

Their wedding present to us 3 years before was the use of 2 of Clowers 7 seater Humbers for the afternoon!

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...

Hi Mary,

I'm so sorry i haven't replied to you, i haven't been on this page for ages. Mary, I knew your dad Ernest Crabtree, he used to look after me and chat to me most days at Clowers, me and my mum and dad still talk of your dad with great fondest.

My dad worked there from being a young man and we lived in the flat above clowers, hence the reason why i knew your dad, i used to sit and talk to him for hours.

My dad retired abround 14 years ago and i worked for the co-op for 18 years before myself and my husband purchased our own funeral business in Nottingham.

Mary it would be lovely to be in touch with you.

Michele

Michele

Mary hasn't logged on to this site since March this year, so may not see your message here. If you send her a PM (Personal Message) you will have a better chance of contacting her.

Hover your mouse over Mary's name on her post above, and you will see the option to "PM this member".

• Upvote 1

I went to Clarendon College with a lad who worked there when it was The Co-op it would have been around 1969/1970 his name was Steve ????? his surname I can't remember.

He then went to work for Players and he and his wife were stewards at Players Sports and Social Club on Asley Lane.

I went to Clarendon College with a lad who worked there when it was The Co-op it would have been around 1969/1970 his name was Steve ????? his surname I can't remember.

He then went to work for Players and he and his wife were stewards at Players Sports and Social Club on Asley Lane.

Just remembered his surname.....it was Bullard