Sign of Four Joke Shop - Goldsmith St

Sounds crazy but had a dream last night of when I was a kid and got thrown off a city transport 31 bus, for letting off a stink bomb on the top deck !

Me and my mates had been into town to the joke shop as my heading above, sure it was called The Sign of Four, but cannot remember exactly where it was.

Someone will obviously know it anyway as it was very popular at the time with pre pubescent school boys !

Pack of 3 stink bombs in little glass files in cotton wool in a small box for 1 and 6 pence.

Then the banger things that were inserted into dad's fags so when he lit up it exploded and nearly gave him the heart attack he eventually had.

Oh and the artificial pile of doggy do, that mad gramma scream when placed on her just scrubbed front step.

I must be going nuts reliving this stuff.

• Upvote 1

It was up near the Theatre Royal, Goldsmith Street?

Used to also sell theatrical stuff and I used to get my ballet shoes from there too, in the days that I aspired to being Alicia Markova.

I'm sure that during the 50s and 60s it was on Derby Road near the Cathedral before they built that whacking great island at the junction of Chapel bar and Parliament Street. We used to have day trips from the Skills coach terminal thereabouts and I am sure I used to see it while waiting on the coach.

When my 5 year old grand son came over from the USA i took him into Derby and brought him some stink bombs .the joy he got from them and even now he says to take some over. Its nice to see little boys dont change .Can you remember the pack of cards that gave you a shock and the chocolate that gave you the runs oh what nice boys we were.

The shop moved there when the old site was demolished.

Ayup! don't forget the sugar lump with a fake spider inside it. The fake blood and the soap that made you dirty. (No! not that kind of dirty)

I'm sure that during the 50s and 60s it was on Derby Road near the Cathedral before they built that whacking great island at the junction of Chapel bar and Parliament Street. We used to have day trips from the Skills coach terminal thereabouts and I am sure I used to see it while waiting on the coach.

I remember it being on Derby Road. i'm sure I bought a 'Jew's Harp' there once and being told it was a 'Jaws Harp'.

I remember the minute crackers that went off when you lit a cigarette, but I went one better when I was at Forest Fields Grammar School. I bored a hole down the centre of a piece of chalk and inserted two match heads and filled the hole with chalk powder. When the maths teacher had been rattling on about algebra or geometry for a couple of minutes he began writing and suddenly the chalk burst into flames and one of the match heads stuck to his finger whilst still alight. It must have hurt him, but we all laughed uncontrollably. I don't know how I was implicated, but it got me another caning.

• Upvote 1

My brother and I bought a large plastic turd, called a Bog Blocker and put it in our grandparents toilet, then told my grandmother the toilet was blocked, but when she found out it was a joke turd, she did not see the funny side, and our ears rang for a week..

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 06/12/2013 at 8:18 AM, darkazana said:

It was up near the Theatre Royal, Goldsmith Street?

On 06/12/2013 at 8:56 AM, Bilboro-lad said:

The one I remember was near the Theatre Royal, just up the road on the left hand side.

Until now we hadn't had a photo of the place on Goldsmith Street, so with a two year bump............

pZiZhhd.jpg

• Upvote 2

I remember going in there in the 70's for some imitation fly's, you know the buzzing type not the trouser type,anyway the guy took a plastic box down from the shelf and opened it,box was empty,I said looked like the boggers have escaped to which he replied no,we've sold out,was it me with no sense of humour or him,I'll never know

Rog

#17 It sold dance clothes in the 70's and probably earlier than that. That's where I used to get all my ballet stuff from, shoes leotards and tutus. Also sold theatrical stage make up then.

post16 (Someone nicked me hash!)

I am sure that shop was Stocks School of Motoring around 1971 when I passed my test with them.

I recall a large model car in the window with cut away engine showing moving parts? A mini I think?

I am sure there is another sign of four thread here. and early to mid 60s. it was on the island by Albert Hall Institute, opposite Co-Op house?

On 02/11/2015 at 9:24 AM, mick2me said:

post16 (Someone nicked me hash!) I am sure that shop was Stocks School of Motoring around 1971 when I passed my test with them.

This is 1976 (according to PTP) and Stocks were on the opposite side of the road, i.e. Theatre Royal side.

2EW76lc.jpg

And if anybody asks, the restaurant in the photo is the New Taj Mahal.

I am certain that Stocks was in the double fronted shop next to the Mogal e Azam building in 1971 (Mogal opened 1977)

I think they moved across the road, and then I believe to Bulwell. Looks like they are now in Hucnall

Also on #23 pic,on the tarmac past the Bedford beagle van it reads Bus Stop? Did buses go down Goldsmith st?..I only remember at Goose Fair time the buses at the side of the Gaumont.

I believe there was a route that went along Goldsmith St, up by the Arboretum and round the Forest along Gregory Boulevard. Then back into town via Mansfield Road. Or t'other way round. Not sure if it was just at Goose Fair time. The bus lads will obviousy know.

Re: buses on Goldsmith Street.

In one of my early posts there's a map of bus routes in the late 1940s and it shows the No. 2 following a strange route from Sherwood, down Hucknall Road, Gregory Blvd, and along Waverley Street and Goldsmith Street. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7151

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to love the Sign of Four.I would have to wait in Trinity Square for my bus home from school so to pass the time I would go and browse the jokes. Next stop was always the musical instrument shop next to the Theatre Royal, where I would dream of owning one of the electric guitars or a shining drum kit. It's a wonder I never missed my bus!

• Upvote 1