A bit of food history

Read an interesting article in a UK woman's magazine sent over to me. When things first appeared in the UK.

1951, the UK's first supermarket opens - Premier, in Streatham, London.

1953, the first frozen foods appear, but only 15% of households have a fridge, let alone a freezer.

4th July, 1954, wartime rationing comes to an end.

1954, the first Wimpy Bar opens.

1955, Bird's Eye Fish Fingers arrive.

1960, the advent of air freight means tomatoes all year round, as well as avocados in M&S for the first time.

1961, Sliced bread appears, thanks to the Chorleywood industrial process, makes the white sliced loaf possible.

1963, Mr Kuo, chef to the Chinese Ambassador, defects from communism and sets up his own restaurant in London.

1970, about 2/3 of British housewives go out to work, food is about to get more convenient.

October 1974, McDonald's arrives from the US.

1974, the Magimix crosses the channel from France. Stylish hostesses now serve mousses at every course, including salmon and chocolate.

1974, the first domestic microwave is sold.

1979, the UK is home to 37 Iceland stores, started by 2 former Woolworth employees. 2-5 households now have a freezer.

1980, M & S starts selling packaged sandwiches for the first time, By 1987 there are 25 varieties with prawn mayo the favourite.

1981, Artificial sweetener aspartame is approved for use in the US, sparking controversy about its safety that is still going on today.

1982, and the following year aspartame sweetened Diet Coke launches.

1992, the mini chain supermarket is born with Tesco Metro in Covent Garden.

1998, the first UK's Starbucks opens.

And a few more to throw in,

1961 Bird's Eye introduces the Arctic Roll, selling a 25-mile length of it a month,

1967, Angel Delight arrives,

1960's & 1970's we feast on Fray Bentos tinned pies, and after 1974 accompanied by Smash instant potatoes.

1980's Pot Noodles and Findus Crispy Pancakes transform student life.

• Upvote 3

Sliced bread 1961???? Co-op and Price's bakery were selling sliced bread well before that one, Dad worked for Co-op as a bread delivery roundsman in the 1950's and used to bring sliced bread home. From what I recall him saying, sliced bread was sliced from one day old bread, as the new baked bread used to squash in the slicing machines.

Yeah I had to read it again, I was brought up on sliced bread, my Gran always had unsliced.

I only found out recently why "Birds Eye" foods were named. Turns out, the company was the first to use a rapid freezing process developed by (wait for it)... Clarence Birdseye! No, I am not kidding!

I'm amazed that McDonalds arrived here in 1974!!!! :ohmy:

I only first came across it in Holland in 1980! :faint:

Like Darkazana I'm really surprised about McDonalds being in the UK that early on. The first time we ate in one was in 1980 in Victoria, British Columbia. We'd gone over there with 2 little ones, a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. Whilst in England we wouldn't have dreamt of taking them into a restaurant at that age but McDonalds provided high chairs!!! Marvellous ...... why did it take so long for other companies to think of that idea?

We first ate in one in 1983 in California. We'd never been in the one in London, and I think I'm right in saying, in 1983, London was still the only one in the UK?

My kids used to enjoy going in McDonalds when they were young but now I only have a McDonalds about once a year, when I have a sudden urge!

In 1988 I took my Granny out shopping and as we walked past a McDonalds she asked me what a burger was like. I suggested we went in so she could see for herself, she really enjoyed her lunch ........ she was 90 at the time, bless her.

Katyjay, that womans mag also missed out

Nov 1964 UKs first out-of-town superstore opened at Loughborough Rd West Bridgford . 50 years this year !

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I have visited many Maccy D joints as they were the place of choice to stop for my youth club on the way back from a trip out in the minibus...not that I often partook of the menu...though I did like their Mcflurries :P

i no long eat mcdonalds after getting food poisening from one of thier outlets i do sometimes go in to get a cold drink or use the loo.

skeggy terrable for pulic toilets at the moment most of them being repaired inclouding disabled ones neare the beach compleatly fenced off ones near the station had to go round all the back rds to get to the ones near the market.

McDonalds must be the suppliers of the most litter in catering history. The one near Toton is appalling. Attenborough Nature Reserve car park is disgusting in a morning and local car parks and recs are a magnet for their filth. What amazes me is the fact that some chavs put the litter in the little paper carrier bag, but then proceed to lob it out of their car window. I have only ever had two burgers (chicken), one in Algeciras on a Bank Holiday when nowhere else was open, and one in London during the Queens anniversary celebrations. I will cease now before I upset folk with further comments.

KFC chicken is nice though.

#21 I've always thought that "drive throughs" should charge more to pay for the litter which is thrown out of car windows and that they (the drive through) should be taxed more highly for the same reason....I also think that those caught and charged for littering should be the ones sent out to clean it up as part of their penalty!

• Upvote 4

We stopped using fast food places years ago after seeing videos of the disgusting things staff do in those places and finding out just what goes into their meats etc....

I won't even buy frozen chicken nuggets anymore after seeing how they are made and from what...The thought of those is making me nauseous right now.......

Buy el cheapo, and expect el cheapo service/hygene and el cheapo "food" that I wouldn't even feed my dog.

• Upvote 1