for those of you who have not read my f/b status i have not been around for a couple of days because i been in city hospital was rushed in on thursday afternoon after rutine blood test that morning apparently according to the dr who phoned me my kidneys were in danger of failing of i go to hospital that begins 36 hour of investigations 4 blood test chest xray , kidney scan god knows how many blader scans injections in stomach only to be told friday evening it was posible a mistake had been made hence another blood test needed to tell them one way or the other what if anything was wrong with meif results came back ok i could go home that night just after seven test taken and sent to lab marked urgent 10.30 still had not got them back after being told 1 to 2 hours they rang the labto see what had happend as not even showing on the recived list 11 pm eventualy got the all clear to come home dr would be on the ward to sighn letter of discharge dave got there 10 mins before dr eventually got home just after12 oclock pm.

yes the good news was yes i was ok but big worry to me has someonne got my results by mistake and at home really ill and thinking there kidneys ok. i made official complaint as dont whant it to hapen to any body else and an enquire has been launched after sleeping very little friday night slept for nearly 12 hours last night.

forgot to say senior dr told me if only they had repeated the orriginal bloodtest on my return to the hostpital insted of starting all the tests iv drips ect they could have seen some thing was wrong and all that would have been needed was a 3rd blootest to comfirm witch test was wron and i cold have gone home a lot sooner.

i should also say i had none of the expected symptoms of liver desease and felt well . no yellow skin or eyes whites no sickness .

thanks every body just want to make sure it dose not happen again surley 3 blood test is cheaper and less invasive than all the other tests they did and takes less time if its done as urgent could be going home in 3 or four hours.

they were looking into doing a kidney biopsy mudgie but it did not get as far as that thank goodness. and i was not showing any of the symptoms of kidney desease it should have rang bells straight away and they should have given me another bloodtest just to be on the safe side .

Glad you're OK. I'm sure a lot of them are too overworked or too much is happening. I remember 40 years ago I was rushed to hospital in Glasgow with chest pains. After X rays they told me nothing was wrong, gave me a letter for my doctor and off I went. Five minutes later the doctor was chasing after me down the road to tell me my X Ray had been mixed up with someone elses. I had a collapsed lung and was in there for a month.

However please be thinking of me in March. I have got to have a colonoscopy. The actual operation doesn't bother me as they sedate me. Its the 2 litres of evil tasting liquid I have to drink before hand . YUKYUKYUKYUK.

Babs, glad you are OK and did not have anything wrong despite the worry that was caused.

Bilbraborn, after your drink, put your running shoes on and don't stray far from the facilities!

Have to take my Daughter to the MacMillan unit tomorrow for scans then SWMBO for progress checks a couple of weeks after, you do get fed up with seemingly never ending worries, we try to copy TGC`s outlook!

• Upvote 1

bilbraborn good luck we will think of you know that feeling i have had it done myself twice,the test its self was nott too bad as you say it was the drinking all that stuff beforehand as you say i was fine for the first two glasses then it was backwards and forwards to the loo some time a very fast pace for me anyway if you got an ensuite say in your bedroom and read a book we only have one loo and its upstairs. so i stayed in my bedroom and tryed to watch telly.

Commo, # 13

I hope the outcome is good on your family's upcoming hospital visits.

Bilbraborn, # 12

Thinking about the medication you have to take before a colonoscopy and the effects it has on your system is worse than actually taking it, I found. I've had two in recent years and for me the worst part of the preparation was the awful bland food that I had to have alongside the liquid stuff ....... grilled white fish and mashed potato with no butter or seasoning was all I could face, but it was so unappetising and tasteless. Good luck, it's only a couple of days of unpleasantness!!

• Upvote 2

I came to the conclusion that there is always someone worse than me.

In 2004 I had my left kidney removed(renal cancer),no after treatment everything OK.2009,five tiny nodules detected on exterior of right lower lung and diaphragm,to small for a biopsy.2010 nodules positive renal cancer,2010/11 six months of chemotherapy,negative result.Removal of lower portion of right lung and portion of diaphragm.

Since then the cancer has been in remission.But to top it off, November of last year,I had surgery for a double hernia,(no laughing matter gentlemen).

Throughout my ordeals I kept a positive attitude,and a sense of humour,but what really got to me, were the kids that had terminal cancer.I would visit their floor during my stay in the hospital,and help by drawing,colouring,or reading to them.

I have never complained or whinged about my lot,I am alive,and living a normal life without any problems.

The point of this post is,whatever we experience in a negative way,we always meet some poor soul who is far worse off than ourselves.

• Upvote 4

Thanks everyone. I've had it before. It's amazing how fast an oldish bloke can run when he needs to. Well you've just got to laugh. My wife thinks it's funny when I get leg cramp in the night. She wakes up and sees me dancing around like a mad thing.

bilbraborn

i too suffer from night leg cramps or irritable leg syndrome and my dr gave me quinine and it has certainly helped and they are now less often and less pain ful worth asking your dr if you havent tried them.

clifton i certainly would have pesterd then to let me out for that looking forward to it, one night was enough for me i wouldhave ended up going mad if i had to stay in for 2 weeks or more on the bay i was on the other patients were a lot older and a lot sicker than me 2 of them were regular dialisis patients and the other one had had 2 resent strokes pluss alzimers i think so no real conversations with any of them,

lizie i had my last colonoscopy about 5 months ago and was told i could eat pritty much a normal but not spicey foods as it tends to inflame the colon andthey had changed the medication to clear your system it was faster acting so you only had to take it in the early evening.couldnot eat after 7am but could have diluted juices or ox tea or coffee as long as it did not contain milk or sugar so this time it was a lot easier than the last time i had it done 2 years ago took my medication as instuckted told by the dr who did the test it had worked realy well

thanks dave the main thing is im ok so cart moan to much and i got to say in the main was really good servis for all my tests and once they had realized there might be a mistake drs could not be more apoligetic but a bit late the only thing i was really anoyed about was some one along the line had put down that i refused to have a cathiter fitted which was compleatly oppisit to what i said in fact i told them if it needs to be done get on and do it, so i would like to know who put it in my notes but they would not tell me who it was who sighned it so that went in my official complaint.now its wait and see how long it takes them to investigate and write to me with an answer

Thanks for your help on that one Piggy. Trouble is, my lovely wife would miss the free entertainment. At least my life style means I keep on the move and I don't do a sitting down job.