Website Building Software

I am shortly going to be building myself a new website. The website I have at the moment I did using Microsoft Front Page, which is now defunct or at least has no support from Microsoft.

Can anyone recommend software to use? I am really not familiar with HTML and so far as I can see I don't need to be. I have looked at Dreamweaver years back and found it hard work - same as all other Adobe software in IMHO.

Any suggestions anyone?

Dreamweaver is very expensive software, and like you say, it is pretty involved.

Best free one that has several grades of hardness, from simple to expert is Evrsoft firstpage, I found it great, you can work "split screen" with the top being in html and the bottom being in what you see.

The free version has just about all the bells and whistles that the registered paid for version has, the free version has no support!! But that's no problem, it does come with a comprehensive help manual, and if you do decide to upgrade and purchase the "full supported version" it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I've used a few over the years, starting many years back with Symantecs First Page, pity they dropped out of the market, it was a very expensive text editor when it was around, pretty basic by todays standards, but easy to use and taught me how to debug pages, as it was loaded with errors...LOL.

You can also build pages with your browser!! Well at least you could, haven't checked for a long time as I found First Page was better, far better.

Heres's a link to the download site.

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage3.shtml

I use SiteSpinner for my business website. Relatively simple to use, and does everything I need!

I should add - I use the "Pro" version!

I built my website through moonfruit.com You buy a package from them and just build your site, they have loads of gadgets and widgets and things, links to social media sites, and they upgrade every so often, but it doesn't affect my website. Have to pay an annual fee, but I also can build 5 websites through them for the price of one, which is handy because my daughter wanted to build a website, so I let her have one of my extras. I bought my own domain name and linked it to the site so that I don't include moonfruit in my web address.

I'm a cheapskate, prefer things that are free...LOL

That's why I chose eversoft firstpage, I found a few free ones around the same time I located firstpage, some hadn't the capabilities that I wanted, firstpage had everything I needed from easy level to pro level, the ability to size images, dozens of different fonts, very user friendly.

I still intend to get a "full" registered version, they even pay commission on the registered version if you place their logo at the bottom of your page, ie built with Evrsoft Frontpage" which is a link to their site, each sale via that link will yield a check to you.. Can't go wrong.

I noticed quite a good site using wix as a site builder but then saw this review that seems to discourage it but it depends on what type of site you want .

If you read the comments below the review there are a number of recommendations for other free site builders including Weebly and Squarespaces.

http://www.sitebuilderreport.com/reviews/wix/our-review

I used to have my site on 110mb.com, but I don't recommend them any more as most servers had problems after the owner sold out to someone who hadn't a clue.

The server my site was on, went down over two years back.

I had 5megs of free disk space and it was half full, so I will probably use another free hosting site I have bookmarked, that allows up to 10 gigs of free disk space.

I was rebuilding my site when the hosts servers went down, no problem as I built my site on my computer and always have a back up on an external hard drive and on CD's. I've seen what happens to people who didn't back their sites up and used the hosts free site building software. They lost everything when a server crashed.

Thats another good reason to use off site text editors instead of the hosts site building software.

These look good, no ads 10gig's of disk space etc..

http://www.serversfree.com/

• 2 months later...

Free Google hosted sites are a PITA, popup ads every few seconds or when you select links in the built website, they drive guests crazy!! I stopped using Google free hosting years ago.

I think you will find things have changed. Because of the huge influence that Google is having on education, a LOT of schools are using Google Sites to build websites for classes, classrooms, projects, etc. and Google has eliminated the ads. This is a very different product than the Google site hosting that was available a few years ago (and may still be available).

They used to be the most annoying website hosts on the market Eric, if they have changed, it's for the better.

A friend of mine uses Serif

I have considered Serif. I find their software generally very user friendly

Ha ha ha - Microsoft Frontpage. Should have aborted before birth!

Nothing wrong with FrontPage. It certainly works for me. Copy and paste the blue bit below. This was my first attempt

Used to use Front Page a lot at work as it was the only web publishing programme that the company allowed, once Netscape had bit the dust.

It was OK, but I found it best to lay out the page in FP, add the content, then go into Windows Notepad to clean-up and fix the HTML. In particular, taking out the excessive lines which FP always added, aligning frames, tabs, and images properly, adding header info, sorting out fonts, and so on.

It was good for what it was, but not that good.