Name - The Subject !

Have you noticed how often someone seems to have an appropriate surname for the topic being presented on television for instance?

Recently we had Dan Rivers reporting on the floods is Somerset.

We have Sarah Blizzard presenting Weather on ITV.

I'm pretty sure it was Chris Shipp who reported on the 'Concordia'.

I well recall the secretary at my Vasectomy Clinic was Mrs. Knott.

Could go on.

There is a Butcher in Somercotes. His name is Mr Bacon.

The man who originally set up Long Eaton Glass was a Mr Payne

• Upvote 1

we saw a van the other day with two fellas tree fellason the back that one made me laugh my sister said radio nottingham had a bit on there last week about apt names for busnesses locally aparently they voted a hairdressers salonwith the name curl up and dye the moss popular as the winner

we saw a van the other day with two fellas tree fellason the back that one made me laugh my sister said radio nottingham had a bit on there last week about apt names for busnesses locally aparently they voted a hairdressers salonwith the name curl up and dye the moss popular as the winner

Curl up & dye (hair dressers) was a shop featured in the first Blues Brothers film in 1980

The American burger van that had a sign resembling the one used in the film, on the side advertising 'Jurrasic Pork'.

And the Chinese take-away with the sign 'Wok this Way'.

Both tickled me a bit.

I often go and work in the kitchen of a care home in Dronfield. Two of the residents are Dorothy Salt and Brenda Pepper.

At the old Wm Crane academy a teacher asked this question. He said the name Baker came from bakers; Smith from blacksmith and so on. He asked a lad called John Taylor what he thought his ancestors would have been, and Taylor answered, 'Gorillas'. It caused much laughter but I can't see much wrong with the answer myself.

• Upvote 1

piggy always tels people he is the son of a pig as ot or ott means son of and philpot is the son of phil marriott means son of mary so he must desend from a pig our surname for those who dont already know is piggott hence him having always been known as piggy by most or lester by a few

I have a mate who until he retired recently,was the Prime Minister`s doctor and traveled with him/her. His name ? Dr. Killer !!!

Back from 2 months on Q.M.2 CANNOT recommend it ! Steel coffin comes to mind! It must have been horrendous for the convicts and the 10 pound poms.