I enjoy reading Oz’s match reports and the fact that most of his reporting is posted from the other side of the World and about our LOCAL teams ………proof that he enjoys his football and cricket and still has a great interest in Notts and the UK.  Most of us with an interest were watching the game anyway.    Keep it up Oz!  

• Like 1
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per w

Thanks for that info Barclaycon. Paulus and others (including me) have already commented on the pathetic commentary coming out of Neville's mouth (on another 'World Cup' thread) but I don't think we'

Lizzie don't talk to me about tv remotes , once we went to our grand son's house to babysit , and there were about 7 remote controls for various things , so I said to my grandson,   Zack how do you tu

In some cases "Banter" could offend the wokies and snowflakes of which I'm sure neither are members on this site slywink

Rog

• Upvote 1

I didn’t know Grimsby Town FC were nicknamed ‘The Mariners’.  Quite a nice name for the club considering it’s a God-awful place!   
My great-grandad had a timber importing business there in the 1890’s and then moved back to Nottingham. 

Lizzie, Great Grimsby (to give it it's full title) is a nice place with some great people living there, a lot of maritime history especially in the fishing industry not forgetting Cleethorpes just up the road has just been accepted as a major rail terminal with link to London via the new Azuma service trains

Rog

Back in about 1973 i stayed in Grimsby/Cleethopes every Tues or wed night at the 'Dolphin' hotel....for most of the year..............

Had some great nights there especially ''Grab a Granny nights'' cant recall the name of the place ...on the Sea front......did business with some lovely people in the VG Stores.......used to have me Haircut and a shave in Grimsby the Barber told me he used to cut Duncan Mckenzie's hair when he was a 'Nipper''

Also used to watch Grimsby Town when they had Mid=week matches....was introduced to Laurie Mcnemamy at one game.....

Yes in its day Grimsby/Cleethorpes was a nice place with nice people....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby.  Gilbert would motor over to the east coast at least two days per week in his car (at one point, a Singer 9) and was often naughty enough to ask dad whether he would like a day out. Dad didn't need any encouragement. A fluent reader at 4 years old when he started school, dad felt he wasn't being challenged in the classroom (I can sympathise there because I found exactly the same situation) and was only too glad of a day off.

Dad enjoyed his meanderings round the east coast with uncle Gilbert. Fish and chips for lunch, lots to see and he always said he gathered more knowledge there than in the classroom at Church Street School in Beeston.  However, it caused resentment with the other boys who complained to their teacher that Sparrow was always going out for the day while they had to attend school. The teacher's rather wearied response was, "You can all go, as far as I am concerned!"

• Like 5

When I worked at SPD back in the 70s, I used to do deliveries to Grimsby as part of my stomping ground. I loved it up there.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Dad's favourite uncle, Gilbert Hudson, was a rep for Hotpoint in the 1920s and 30s. His patch was the east coast, including Grimsby....

Jill..did Uncle Gilbert go to any ''Grab an 'Aunty' nights......:)

• Like 1

Ben, the worrying thing is, I'm now old enough to be a contender to be a recipient of 'grab a granny'. But then again, who wants to be a wallflower.

• Like 1

Nowt up with ''Grab a Granny'' /or even Aunty Jill...........only wanted a Dance  :) Your Dad and Uncle Gilbert sound like me and my Uncle John

And Barrie......you don't have to be old enough to 'Grab one''.....:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

True Ben, but nowadays I'd be more likely looking for someone to grab me. There must be somebody prepared to take pity on this owd reprobate.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No where do they do a ''Grab a Granddad''..Barrie...even the Grannies love being chased.......and if your a Gent'' you will oblige....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
On 8/12/2023 at 12:15 PM, Oztalgian said:

I am Aussie through and through seeing as how they paid my way here. Yes I am a 10 pound pom, the best ten quid they ever spent but when it comes to Australia versus England it is England for me every time.

Not going well for the Lionesses, Columbia scored in the 44th minute and lead 1-0

Admirable sentiments Oz, which in my book show great strength of character.  You are making your contribution to the country which accepted you, whilst still maintaining a solid, but harmless loyalty to the country of your birth.

I had a neighbour who moved to Oz.  Even before he did so, I watched him quietly switch allegiance from St Helens RLFC, to Wigan RLFC, when Wigan were in their 'pomp'. When I took him to task over that , in 'jocular' fashion.. he got very defensive and claimed to have 'always supported Wigan'.. yeah right...

He was back over here a few weeks back as part of a big tour of Europe. He and his wife dropped in to see us for a couple of hours.. which was nice. Still, he was almost provocatively supporting Oz in the Ashes, and later, when England drew in the 4th? test, due to rotten weather, I messaged him to ask if he thought 'Winning, by not having the chance to lose', was a good look?

He answered 'yes'.  I find that rather sad.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:55 AM, DJ360 said:

I had a neighbour who moved to Oz.  Even before he did so, I watched him quietly switch allegiance from St Helens RLFC, to Wigan RLFC, when Wigan were in their 'pomp'.

DJ360 I think the sport that is prevalent in the area that you were brought up in plays a major part in what you follow when you grow up. There was very little rugby league played in Notts and we only saw Eddie Waring on TV on a Saturday. Never got into the game even when we emigrated to NSW a fanatical rugby league state. Football when we came to OZ had the politically incorrect name of "wogball" as it was most often played by teams of ethnic origin. AFL Aussie Rules has absolutely no interest for me and is a waste of good land that we could be growing grapes on.

• Like 1

Spain have beaten Sweden 2-1, all goals being scored in the last 10 minutes.

Spain looked much better than Sweden in all aspects of the game.

I must admit by being totally baffled by the application of the offside rule in the modern game. The first Spanish goal for me was definately offside, a player was stood inside the six yard box in an offside position when the goal was scored but VAR deemed them not interfering with play or obstructing the view of the goalkeeper. As Cloughie would say " If you are not seeking to interfere with play what are you on the fu**ing field for"

Interestingly the Spanish team has never been to Australia before and now their first trip will include a world cup final.

Now for tomorrow night.

43 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

DJ360 I think the sport that is prevalent in the area that you were brought up in plays a major part in what you follow when you grow up. There was very little rugby league played in Notts and we only saw Eddie Waring on TV on a Saturday. Never got into the game even when we emigrated to NSW a fanatical rugby league state. Football when we came to OZ had the politically incorrect name of "wogball" as it was most often played by teams of ethnic origin. AFL Aussie Rules has absolutely no interest for me and is a waste of good land that we could be growing grapes on.

Yes, that's generally true, but the bloke I'm talking about is a Scouser and if I'm not mistaken also 'flipped' between Liver pool and Everton FC's.

Although I live yards from possibly the most 'contentious' border in Rugby League.. that between St Helens and Wigan Boroughs.. there are many 'Scousers' here.  there's one in my house!!! :ohmy:

Yes Beekay, I'm here.

In the end a relatively easy win for England. They played better than Australia who made a couple of defensive lapses which cost them the game.

If England are to win the final, which I hope they do, they need to remember that if the ref had spotted some of the dirty tackles, shirt pulling and blatant time-wasting things could have been different. They may have a more observant ref in the final and that may be the difference.

Well, after a week which started with so much promise has ended with Australia losing the third place game to Sweden

2-0, they were comprehensively outplayed and unfortunately finish the tournament without a medal. Watching both this game and the semi-final I think the coach erred in playing Sam Kerr from the start as I think the others were relying on her far too much and seemed reluctant to go it alone or in plays that did not include Sam as they did in the early games. They also suffered from "lastpassitis" where the final pass was often misdirected or targeted the wrong player.

Having said that the girls have done very well in getting to the semis and have reawakened interest in women's football. Good on the Matildas.

I'll be watching the Lionesses tomorrow night. Come on England