This article in the Nottingham Post raises the question about who you can trust nowadays. It's certainly not the Police.

The only real problem I've experienced with the police was in the sixties. My girlfriend and I had been for a night out in the centre of Nottingham. It was a nice evening so we decided that I'd walk her home instead of catching the paddy bus. Just before the cemetery on Mansfield Road, there was a Police Box. As we passed it, we heard someone shout something but as I turned there was nobody there, so carried on walking. Then there was a torrent of abuse from a policeman who'd come out of the Police Box. He told me to get in the Box and it was obvious that he was trying to provoke me. Despite having had a drink I remained calm and just let him get on with it. There's only one winner in a situation like that. A rule that I've always had is that I'd never have too much drink and be unable to protect my girlfriends if trouble broke out. My girlfriend, who was stood outside by the open door, then started shouting to someone. Another policeman, who was of a higher rank, then asked the policeman what was going off. He lied by saying that I'd been drinking and had threatened him. The senior policeman then spoke to my girlfriend and I on our own and then told us to carry on our way home. Another person may have found himself doing time. I somehow think that things haven't changed much since those days.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/18-police-sacked-misconduct-2012/story-21660724-detail/story.html

Never liked them, I've had many a run in with them especially regarding motoring "offences".Certainly in the 60's and 70's, most hadn't a clue regarding traffic laws. Over the years I've got away with lots, but they contrived to stitch me up regarding DIU. They couldn't prove a thing but then came up with "unfit to drive due to drink or drugs" .(never did drugs) I couldn't prove my innocence as I'd had a drink AFTER an accident (honestly). Anyway large fine, 18 month ban. Mid 80's breathalyser the in thing. I suppose things even out don't they.

Normal coppers, no time for them, but detectives I admire greatly.

I couldn't possibly comment on this as my hubby was a "normal copper" and from what I know was always fair. If he stopped someone while he was on traffic he treated them accordingly. If they were leery and cocky he would book for something, if they were "Fair enough you got me, sorry, won't do it again" pleasant they usually got off with a warning. His byword was treat as you find!

I have met one or two good ones, but they probably get fed up with arresting someone for a crime just to see them get away with it. So saying, I don't really trust them.

They can't win. Complaints when they do something, and complaints when they don't.

Look at the examples of people who think that the law should be observed by everyone but themselves......... "Yes, but when I did it, that was different."

• Upvote 1

Early 60's I had long hair and an MG which appeared to be a magnet for police in those days.

One Saturday night about 10.30 and in those days you could park on the concourse of the Council House, one comes up to me and asked if I thought I was special. I replied that I wasn't, but why only ask me although others were parked similarly. That was it , in the book. Another similar experience outside the Flying Horse one minute before my half hour was up and he asked me if I could read. I replied that I could as I'd had a good education and I was just leaving. He said I was cheeky so in the book again for overstaying my time.

Pair of w***ers.

Many more anecdotes of boyish fun to come later.

I worked with a feller who hated police completely, he'd had several DUI charges over the years too. I was at work one night and the mine clerk rang me when I was in the workshop, asked me if a knew a Llewellan *********, No I answered why??? Well it's the police on the phone. want to verify if he worked here.

Turns out that was his first name, we all knew him as Roger. Anyway, he'd been driving his car after just getting his license back and was many over the limit, he'd abandoned his car after a chase by a couple of cops, ran off bu was apprehended.

Next day when I arrived at work he was at the elec PPM window and I had a chat with him over the previous nights problems. The tops of his arms were jet black with bruises, I asked him if he'd got a brief, yes and he photographed the heavy bruising and had him see a Doctor for a medical report.

It was then he said the two coppers came off worst, one had a broken arm the other heavily bruised where he'd tossed them down stairs at Guisborough police station..

Oh dear, you're going to be doing time Roger, No he said his brief had filed charges of police brutality and he was legally within his rights to defend himself.

Anyways, day at the Magistrates court, one Roger XXXXXXXXX, his brief, one large police sargeant, with one young constable with broken arm and another bruised constable.

Plead time....Not Guilty was the plea, Sargeant stood up, cases dropped Sir.... Young copper with broken arm, "BUT WHAT ABOUT.." SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN SON!!!!! Sargeat shouted...Case dismissed from Magistrates...

Turns out the two young coppers got reprimanded by a senior officer over their handling of Roger...

Oh, and as a back up to my story, Roger decided to behave himself after that, he walked and used the bus when he went drinking..

In the main, you can trust police officers but clearly not all of them. Same goes for any group, e.g. teachers, doctors, judges, tradesmen, scout leaders, priests, politicians, celebrities, etc. Any group will have a few dodgy members and a personal bad experience with an individual can obviously create a subjective prejudice against the whole group.

• Upvote 6

I have had a lot of dealings with the police in quite a lot of countries, when I was arrested at demonstrations when at Greenpeace, and in general the police of all countries are trustworthy if you are honest with them, it is when you are bolshie, they will react against you, and at times with violence.

In my few run-ins with the police I came to the conclusion,'you were guilty untill proven innocent'.

I am sure there are some good police officers,I just wish I had met them in the past.

• Upvote 1

The police cannot win. Generally I admire them, but they don't help themselves. I saw a group of policemen this morning and they were dressed like a bunch of paramilitary thugs.

They love it...Like a bunch of squaddies or footie fans having a rumble...get a group of like minded men together and they immediately become belligerent and part of 'The Gang' Especially when they think they are untouchable...eg. the miners strike.

That's why they nearly all have bald heads,their version of a gang tattoo.

• 1 month later...

SWMBO worked with the police in her career. She is of the opinion that the good guys leave whilst the bullies stay.

To cut a long story short: I had arrived at the town in Essex to see my girlfriend but I had successfully hitched a lift with a London cab all the way across the city and out to the town, so I was very early. I sat on a bench (06:00) and was arrested for loitering. My 6d Terry's wafer was confiscated as possible stolen property and my local map (Obtained from an old guy at his doorstep when I asked for directions: "I don't need it any more lad, you take it") was also confiscated. Not satisfied with my story, two of the bastards began to push me around the cell, being careful to hurt but not bruise. Eventually, One of the desk officers checked out my story and my girlfriend's father vouched for me so they had to release me, but with a warning: "We don't like you and your type around here; cllear off and don't come back".

The reason for my treatment? I was young and had long hair.

Yes, it's funny how long hair seems to infuriate some people. I had long hair from the early 60's till mid 80's.

I was often picked on in pubs and on busses.

I was once stopped in my MG after a minor skirmish with an island. There were three of us in a two seater and beer bottles over the floor at 4am. The officer questioned me and looked over the car and sneeringly said I couldn't be charged as I was on private property and he could only arrest me if someone made a formal complaint. He then said I'd better watch it as he and his mates would be out to get me. I sold The MG a couple of months later.

Twenty odd years later, early 80's I'd skidded on a lot of gravel at some roadworks and mounted an island and hit a road sign. I hid the damaged car behind some buildings and sat in the nearest pub to await collection by my wife. I had a couple of drinks and walked out to meet her when I was confronted by several coppers in two cars. They breathalysed me and took me to headquarters in town. I was still over the limit and kept in a cell. They first charged me with DUI, then several weeks later changed it to unfit to drive through drink or drugs. I contested it but after a year finally appeared in court.

I was found guilty and received 18 months ban, £450 fine and annoyingly fined for damaging the road surface, the island and the bl00dy road sign. This amounted to another £100 .

The Magistrate wasn't amused when I told him I'd pay £5a month. He asked if I'd any savings. I said I had as I was saving for another car. He was even more irked when I paid up on the spot. Ba5tards, exactly!!!!!!