Two Lancasters over Lincoln Today

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you might like to see these pictures:- And the most spectacular:- The BBMF News website hasn't been updated yet but this is what seems to be happening on Thursday:- Waddington:- 1

So pleased for you to have been able to witness this incredible event, I'm so envious, unfortunately I booked my holiday a year ago when the prospects of the Canadians flying their Lancaster over to t

Probably because the majority of those 90% aren't British !!!!!! Rog

Posted Images

Tomorrow, 21st Aug, 2 Lancs plus Vulcan will leave Waddington, head for Newark and form up just after 13:00pm approx then head for Retford before turning towards Lincoln then heading for Conningsby. Rog, the formation of 2 Lancs plus Vulcan will flypast Conningsby just around 13:30-45pm, these times are approx. The Vulcan is supposed to head of for Clacton on it's own from RAF Marham, perhaps I'll go there instead of the overcrowded noisy Clacton.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 3.45pm. One of the Lancaster's just went very low over my house, heading back to Coningsby I presume?

Too late to get the camera.....

Smiffy

Temple Bruer area, very low pass, approx. 300 feet I estimate, we could see the pilot etc.

Not the lowest we have seen an aeroplane around here though!

Smiffy

Yes it did! We were waiting at the traffic lights at the top of Westdale Lane, to go down there to see it, and it came right over us. Still, at least we saw it, even if we were sitting in the car!

You're so lucky, the only thing we get in Basford is the bloody police helicopter and ambulance and cop car sirens day and night.

#44 Lovely pictures.... What's that "thingy" on the top of the fuselage in pic 4, is it a camera?

Smiffy

Canadian Lanc has engine problems and is grounded, sorry you didn't see the two. Just heard an approaching aircraft and the Catalina flew low, quietly and so gracefully right over the house into the sunset,what a sight the sun was really glinting off the fuselage.

They arrived over Carlton twenty minutes earlier than the announced time.

I heard something roar over my house in Mapperley, and rushed out in to see it turn and come back. It made off towards Carlton. A great sight!

#44 Lovely pictures.... What's that "thingy" on the top of the fuselage in pic 4, is it a camera?

Smiffy

Think that you are right, Smiffy.

Also noticed that the upper gun turrets of the Lancasters are positioned differently, one being located further back towards the tail of the aircraft.

Have to say that the Lanc's Merlins did not have the same "hair on the back of your neck" effect as the Spitfire and Hurricane :-(

You must have had your deaf aid turned off, one Lanc is loud, the sound of two Lancs together is quite ear splitting.

For some reason Merlins sound quite different in various types of aircraft, the Hurricane and early marks of Spitfire are very quiet, the P-51 Mustang, with it's Packard Merlin is very noisy, even more so than the later Griffon engined Spifires. I was lucky enough to witness the filming of 'Memphis Belle' at Duxford back in the late 80's. On one memorable day there was a streamed take off of 5 B-17 Flying Fortresses, 3 Merlin powered Buchon 'Bf 109's', and 7 P-51 Mustangs, they all formed up and came hurling back over the airfield at low level, the Mustangs drowned out everything else put together.

As for the Canadian Lanc, it's up at Teesside airport under going a frantic engine change thanks to a blown supercharger which grounded it last Friday. Initially an engine was offered from the 'Just Jane' spares at East Kirby, but I think a BBMF team have gone up to Teeside with a spare from Conningsby, being a Rolls Royce Merlin and not a Packard, a few changes have to be made. They are working around the clock to get it airworthy for tomorrow's 3 Lancs under power event at East Kirby, a 10,000 crowd sell out.

Seen and heard them many times now over Tattershall/Coningsby and the Canadian Lancs sounds different to ours, a bit deeper sound with none of that rattle,those that have heard the BBMF Lanc will know what I'm on about, still great to see them both though and as you say the sound is awesome, Imagine the night times 70 plus years ago over enemy territory when the 1000 bomber raids took place,the sound of the bombers alone must have terrified the Germans

Rog

Andrew Panton of Lincolnshire Aviation Trust has just posted on their Facebook Group a message saying that the Canadian Lancaster is still grounded due to its engine failure. So if you were thinking of going tomorrow or doing same as me and planting yourself somewhere on route, three Lancasters won't be happening.

• Upvote 1

Lancaster now having problems with No 4 engine, BBMF Lanc has only got 24 hours and 5 mins flying time before it's scheduled annual maintenance at the beginning of October, the East Kirby event, however has now been rescheduled for the coming Sunday, all being well!

The 2 Lancs are due to appear at Duxford Airshow on Sunday the 14th September, despite living just down the road, I can't go as I will be on holiday. The IWM, being a pathetic Government Civil Service run organisation, have not planned for this properly of course, they've had since February to get their arses into gear, get their museum Lanc out on the tarmac and arrange an unforgettable sight of 3 Lancs parked together, this is apparently not going to happen, nor have any plans been made for the 2 Lancs to fly in formation with B-17 'Sally B', Oh, and if you are thinking of going, Government 'Cut Backs' mean that there are now no longer admission concessions for Senior Citizens, so any Veterans thinking of going will have to pay full price, pathetic, ignorant barstewards.

Just to make sure you pay up as well, after 40 years of operating airshows, IWM in conjunction with the police and local landowners have now taken measures to shut off the fields and roads around the airfield so you can't watch it for free, however the local primary school in Duxford are offering car parking, a BBQ, toilets, seats, views from their field at the end of the runway for a small fee, all contributions going to the school funds, good for them, this is what I did for the last rip off airshow when it would have cost myself and two other seniors more money to get in than the cost of our Uncle George's return flight from Budapest.

Thought I'd put this on here. In yesterdays Nottingham Post, a big article about Aviation Memorials in Nottinghamshire. It also advertises a booklet of the same name from Newark Air Museum. If anyone wants a free copy in print or on-line send your request to admin@newarkairmuseum.or phone them on 01636707170. Don't forget to provide postal address if you want the printed version.

Put on theatre mode, turn up the sound and watch this, it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuqUROBzUY#action=share

Let's hope the BBC put together all the filming being done by the BBMF and Canadian Warplane Heritage and deliver a decent programme about the event, presented by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Incidentally, anyone watch the play on BBC about Watson-Watt, the inventor of radar, last night. The programme had it's flaws, but I thought that Eddie Izzard was superb in the part of Watson-Watt, he really held the whole thing together and acted the rest of them off the screen. Incidentally, for those that watched it, the worlds only Mk1 Avro Anson as shown testing the radar, is based and flown in New Zealand, another shot of approaching aircraft featured two Spitfires, two Hurricanes and a Mosquito, the latter not developed at that stage in the infancy of radar and the whole sequence filmed in Canada as part of the Canadian Warplane Heritage, aka Lancaster. The other flying sequences were out takes from the 1960's 'Battle of Britain' film. Sorry to be such a nerd.

Having put on that Youtube video, it doesn't want to play, if you can't get hold of it, Google 'Flypast Historic Forum', click on that, click on the first 'Sticky' relating to Canadian Warplane Heritage, go to the last page 39 and you'll find it there.

• Upvote 1