Just catching up on the Justice thread and it lead me to thinking about how we cope with life's pressures.

Do you have a special way of dealing with stuff when it all gets too much?

I must admit in my younger day I used to throw stuff, but never at anyone and it was always a cup or something that was chipped anyway. It always had the desired effect. The person who was winding me up was shocked into stopping whatever it was, no one was hurt and I felt great, it was very therapeutic smashing something unimportant on the floor...must be why the Greeks do it!

Later when I had horses the stables used to get a real good going over while I chuntered to myself.

Now I just go somewhere quiet and meditate, yoga or whatever, even a relaxing bath, because life is too short to spend it stressing out, or arguing the toss.

• Upvote 4

I just sit in the garden and unwind.

That is after I've had a good shout though.

• Upvote 1

Catfan Mi Duck,

When you have had a few scares, like you and I, and quite a few more Nottstalgians. It doesn't do to well to get all uptight about things. I have certainly learnt to cool it on things I consider not worth worrying about. Though I am by nature a born worryer! When I worked at the Hospice there was a Serenity Prayer hanging on the wall. I was fascinated by it and the words taught me how to look at things differently, and you don't have to be religious to see it is better for your health to practice it's advice. For non religious people, the first 4 lines are good advice.

• Upvote 4

Dunno, been under pressure most of my working life, production, I was a maintanance electrician, never even thought about it at that time, until one of our district electricians cracked up on the job..Just part and parcel of the job I suppose, either it bothers you or somehow it doesn't get you down..

I was a leading hand in charge of a shift and a staff of electricians, again, just did the job to the best of my ability, always seemed to keep on top of everything.

I once had the shift Mechanical Engineer jumping up and down calling me every name under the sun, I was short handed that night, and he needed an electrician so as his fitters could get on with a job..Just no way I could help him for an hour or two... I was OK, he was red in the face and losing it.....No point in my having high BP...LOL

I seemed to thrive under pressure.

• Upvote 1

Ayup Carni, Yes you are quite right what you say. These days I'm always accompanied by Sue or one of the kids if they are taking me somewhere in their car. I am constantly telling my daughter to "mind the cyclist dear" & other hazards like Mrs Bucket on the telly years ago used to say to her husband ! Sue swears blind I'm getting just like Victor Meldrew.

Today I had a go at the bus driver & asked him if he had been to the Evil Knievel school of motoring ? Tosser ! This was after I had a go at a couple of teenagers for parking their feet on the seats.

I will have to "chill" a bit more I think.

Nice prayer by the way, I think you may be referring to this one.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen. - See more at: http://www.allaboutprayer.org/serenity-prayer.htm#sthash.rSomraWm.dpuf

• Upvote 5

I like the bit in "Cabaret" where they go under a railway bridge and as the train passes over scream and scream as loud as they can. Now that's what I might like to do but alas no engines that manufacture that volume of sound!

When I did my PSV driver training many years ago I went on an assessment first. The instructor said at the end 'to be a good bus driver you should adopt a very laid back attitude'. Well I thought about that and I just applied it to everything. It works a treat for me!

• Upvote 1

I must be catfan, but then I was in maintenance for years, if I was unlucky enough to have several breakdowns at once, I'd tackle the ones regarding safety first, then the priority production ones next and then ask the senior mining supervisor which is his next priority..Didn't get paid enough to get ulcers of high BP.

I had shifts where I was on the go from start to finish, but that made time fly..

• Upvote 2

I just say 'Oh flipping Heck and Bless my Soul'......... I don't think so. I just let things go these days. Most people who cause me stress usually end up coming off worse.

• Upvote 4

Being a roofer entailed stripping off old roofs and renewing, and keeping a watch on some dirty black clouds coming over, boy was that pressure

especially when underneath is somebody's living quarters. me and my mate never had time to speak to one another until we got it watertight.

forty odd years, wouldn' t have swopped it fer the worlld. meeting some nice people made up for the pressure.

• Upvote 1

Like Carni I'm a worrier, and stress out very easily.

While working I was really bad, but I ran my own one man business and had to deal with some "very" demanding customers.

I ended up having to reassess my life as it was at that time, I lived to work, whereas you should work to live.

A pretty serious health problem brought me down to earth about 12 years ago, so I retired and gave the really bad stress away.

Now I've retired I feel so much better in myself, I'm still a worrier but find a long walk along a deserted beach with my dog or sit for a while looking over the ocean and I calm back down.

I just try and live every day as though it's my last, as one day it will be.

• Upvote 6

Almost identical to you Bazza,but i miss the 'BUZZ' i know i'm wrong and i'm slowly coming down.

• Upvote 1

Working at a job teaching (sometimes) difficult adults and apprentices for weeks at a stretch and doing much preparation at nights and week-ends, I sank into depression. I found I didn't want to discuss things with others, including family, who had problems of their own, which they seemed to want to discuss with me. My release came in a good book. Having been retired for some years now, I do not miss work as do some, only the people I worked with, I'm enjoying myself very much being able to do what I like when I like.

• Upvote 3