One of my bad habits, which annoys wife and family, is searching down the backs of chairs/sofas when we go out for a meal or coffee. You might say I'm a tight so and so. I often keep a sharp look out for money dropped in streets and had to argue with others doing the same thing on what I consider to be my preserve! One has to defend one's rights! I've often found silver and occasionally pound coins doing all this but the best find was a £5 note down the back of a chair. Does anyone else have finds like this to report?

I have nearly fallen off my bike many times, in the rush to pick up a bit of silver. Riding up Sea Lane at Ingoldmells, right opposite Fantasy Island, I had my biggest find. There it was laying in the Gutter a folded up Fiver. I have never moved so quick in me life miduck! :huh: I felt guilty all the way to the Chipshop! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

No but I lost £5 down the back of a chair,so if you would like to return it,I'm tighter than you do there is no finders reward.

Fair enough! Quote the number on the note and state where you lost it by post; get the letter notarised by a reliable person; i.e a doctor or bank manager - no, forget the bank manager; perhaps a doctor you've known for 30 years and was trusted by your grandmother. If you cannot carry out these actions by tomorrow, apply for a tax reduction.

• Upvote 1

When I first started working on the railway as a carriage cleaner, the odd pennies and 5ps soon added up. Amazing the stuff people left behind. Most of it got handed in though.

A repeat of a story I posted in another thread some time ago but its relevant here .

There used to be a little weasly guy that would come in our old shop , armed with a torch and ruler .

If allowed he would crouch down and shine the torch under the fixtures and if he saw any lost coins would flick them out with the ruler ! I would ask him to leave but then watched as he went in every other shop up the street .

Work it out..... 50 shops in a high street and he finds a couple of quid in each .....soon adds up !

#4 Ditto that but on the fields after the Moorgreen Show, my friend and I used to clean up so to speak. On a sad note, last year was the final Moorgreen show after what would have been it's 165th year. I had spent many a summer holiday "helping" to set up for the show by putting up fencing, washing sign boards and eventually driving the wagons for the marquee people round the field and helping them put up the tents.....wonder what elf and safety would have to say about that nowadays, and the child protection people when I think about it! Just imagine nowadays 2 young girls and half a dozen or so men in a tent...yet it was all so innocent and no impropriety at all.

• Upvote 3

Tomlinson it was definitely the chair where you found it and to prove it was mine there should be some numbers on it can't remember what they was ,but to prove who I am ,there are lots of shopkeepers who know me because I used to go in their shops with a torch and a ruler,now do you believe me.

• Upvote 2

the other week in a petrol station dave got out the car and picked up a tenner extra fuel in the tank and a nice ride out thank to whoever droped it

• Upvote 3

it was only yesterday my wife met a friend in skegness who had recently lost her purse with eighty pounds in it, and her bank cards.

near fantasy island. she had a phone call to tell her this woman with a child had found it. My wife's friend offered to meet her to collect it

but the woman said 'no I have the address here that's in the purse i'll bring it over,' which she so kindly did. my wife's friend thanked her so much

and couldn't believe the honesty of the woman. she rewarded the child because the woman wouldn't take anything. What a nice thing to happen

in this day and age. there are some good honest people out there.

• Upvote 8

do yer know I think i've become a member of this N. F. (nottingham forums) I only woke up in the flippin middle of the night

thinking about nottingham forums. has this happened to anybody else? its lovely meeting friends and talking to you people

but waking up in the middle of the night its just not good N.F. :sleeping:

• Upvote 4

It's got me, I'm hooked !!!!!

• Upvote 1

I've twice found a handbag over the years, once in Glasgow and once in Sandiacre, Nottingham. When I found the one in Glasgow I took it to a police station. It had a purse, cards, a couple of small gifts and other stuff. It had an address but I didn't know Glasgow and was just passing through on my way to Oban for a holiday. I signed a form in the police station and carried on to Oban. I never heard anything more regarding the handbag. The second time I went into a phone box in Sandiacre and found a handbag. I was in a real hurry and didn't even look inside it, I just chucked it in my car. When I got home a few hours later my wife and I looked inside the handbag. It had some money, cards, a ladies watch and other stuff. There was the address of the owner in it who lived in Long Eaton. We have friends in Long Eaton so we decided to drop the bag off on our way to visit them. I found the house and a chap came to the door. I asked him if Mrs ??? lived there. He turned and shouted her name, saying it was for her. The lady came to the door and opened it just enough to speak to me. I told her that I'd found her handbag in the telephone box and she took it off me. She then slammed the door in my face. I felt like kicking the door in and taking the handbag back but I just got into my car and drove off. My wife was really angry at the way she'd acted and said she'd never return one again. We'll have to wait and see.

• Upvote 3

While I was unemployed I had to go for work experience(aged 58 left school "15)I was sent to a charity that recycled donated furniture.

When any sofas or chairs came in I would always "check them out"

I often found a few coins I was surprised noone else had thought of doing so.

• Upvote 2

Karlton,dintyer see the warning when yer signed up telling yer that membership of The Forum can cause addiction and loss of sleep?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Years ago, when one of our sons was a lot younger and (maybe) less responsible, he was walking, or actually probably staggering, home along a country lane late at night when he must have fallen into the grass verge and hedge and lost his wallet ........ I was never told about this though or else I would have given him a real hard time.

Two years later when he was working overseas I got a phone call from the local constabulary informing me that my son's wallet had been found by a family out walking. I explained that my son was out of the country and it was agreed that I could go to the Police Station to collect the wallet on his behalf. It was in a disgusting state but the contents were all in there, including a small amount of money, credit cards and several business cards. The family who'd handed the wallet into the police thought that it belonged to a drug dealer as there were some US Dollars and Jamaican Dollars and also business cards from Jamaica. I had to explain to the police that my son worked a lot in the Caribbean. I got the address of the family who'd handed the wallet in and went to visit them to say thank you. I took a big box of chocolates and sweeties for the kids. They were thrilled to bits.

• Upvote 3

several years ago while on holiday with our extended family in stafordshire and realy strugling for money by the end of the week .we went forawalk round a resivor and one of my sons found a wallet containing quite a lot of cash several hundred pounds in fact credit cards ect dave and my son took it to the ranger station to hand it in just as they were doing so the man who had lost came to see if it had been found and handed in when the ranger asked him his name adress ect he was given his wallet back said thanks to dave and walked out and was gone off to his family without a nother thought the ranger was so disgusted he took our sons into the shop and brought them sweets out of his own pocket to thank them for being honest. makes you wonder if its worth being honest somtimes but would we do it again yes we would .

• Upvote 2