Mushroom season is here again.

Ayup foodies everywhere.

Here in the northern hemisphere it is wild mushroom season. I am having "Shaggy Parasol" mushrooms for breakfast today, freshly picked from the pine wood across the road.

Local groups usually go mushrooming at this time of year and welcome newcomers. They advertise in local newspapers and community notice boards. The council may also have ranger groups active. In Notts there will be groups operating in all of the forested arreas. So, if you have any desire to try wild muchrooms for yourself, simply join in with a local "Mushroom foray" and enjoy the fruits of your own picking. Alternatively, get a book and teach yourself but be careful.....there are a couple of nasty ones out there :)

• Upvote 5

I recall going out with my brother, early mornings in September, looking for 'Blueys' or Bluebuttons. These were lovely fleshy textured fungi................

• Upvote 1

I went mushrooming wi mi dad used to catch the early bartons bus to fields around Keyworth. plenty of bluies and mushrooms in them days

fields have probably all gone now. i used to run and kick the puff balls filled wi pollen dust.

• Upvote 1

One of my intentions when I get over is to revisit a couple of my secret Bluey spots, also have a couple of mushroom places my father in law showed me before he passed, I took him out for a Sunday morning just before he died, and he disclosed a couple of prime spots.

That's if they haven't got houses built on them now. :-)

• Upvote 1

#5 banjo 48 yer probably right banj most good places built on now most places were kept very secretive in them days.

did here years ago a chap picked 60lb of bluies out of one ring peterborough way. but tall stories were rife in them days

to throw yer off the scent.

In France I normally eat field mushrooms every day at this time of year. There are so many different types of edible fungi on our smallholding but I don't take any risks. Foraging is a big deal here in rural Brittany. All the pharmacies are qualified to identify fungi and you can take your gathering in for a free identification. I've got a book but some good and bad varieties look so similar in photo's. I took about 10 different fungi up to the bar for identification last year but the opinions were quite varied. "yes you can eat this one but you have to treat it in a special way" or "this one is good but it will make you ill if it is picked too late" etc. etc. So I gave up.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the UK at the mo., trying to sort out this bleddy kitchen. Back there in a weeks time though and there should be plenty of mushrooms waiting for me.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to read that you're 'unfortunately stuck in the UK at the mo', PeverilPeril. I hope you soon recover from your trauma. :biggrin:

The truth is that i am, in a way, trying to get stuck in the UK. My 'stuck in' comment was only related to the mushrooms and to the fact that I am not able to make the early cider pressing in time. I have a lot of things planned for full time life in the UK, which is brilliant. Living in France has been a great experience but the UK is home, and so much better in many ways. I have had the best of both worlds for a while but living in the UK wins hands down.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Loads of em around this year....yummy

As a general outsider from Notts, I have a question. I've seen posts on here about blueies and blue buttons. I remember my mother cooking them with gravy and with bacon. They were flat and delicious. Are they called by another name that anyone knows? I can't identify them here in Norfolk, nor have I seen anything resembling them.