Christmas Is Coming!!

Not long now!! So got the missus to order something off of Amazon I haven't had in years, tin of Roses choccies, tin of Quality Street Choccies and a small Christmas pudding for me, as the missus don't like those sort of things.

Also something not available around here, that we used to get in Sacramento, Jacobs Cream Crackers, and a few packets of beef suet for making dumplings with...Stew days are nearly here!!

I was trying to find some Bovril, but nobody imports it these days, been banned since the mad cow problem.

A lot dearer than that, with the looks of the orders, they are coming from the UK, free shipping, so must be in the total cost. Roses 850g tin, $34-99

Q/S 900g tin, $39-77.

There was another seller on Amazon, they had a 1.5Kg tin of Q/S, looked a good price until you saw their shipping costs, over 40 bucks....

Ayupmeducks,

You will have a surprise when you see the size of the tins ( or plastic tubs) that they come in now. Not only are they altogether smaller, but this year the containers taper in at the bottom. Still the same price. Unless they have a special offer on! These are the ones that are sold in the shops.

I still can't resist buying one of each though.

ayupmeducks

Beef suet doesnt come in a packet! Get it from a butcher. Even in California there must be someone who will do beef suet, as I know that its a staple ingredient in many German and Italian dishes.

Jacobs Cream Crackers are sooooo middle class. it was TUC biscuits for us!

I will start the mince pie mix off in a couple of weeks, if I can stay off the brandy long enough to make the mince! The cake will be made at the same time too.

I don't live in California, left there 15 years ago.

You don't find butchers around here, meat goes to the supermarket in pre packaged lots and is sliced or cut up by one of the deli staff.

When we lived in Australia, we bought meat in bulk from a butchers shop and always had suet added for our home made pork sausages. Nowhere around here to get suet from.

I've Atora beef suet on order, same stuff we used to buy in California, it's blended suet with self raising flour, just add extra self raising flour to make dumplings.

That's the problem with making home made mincemeat for mince pies, can never find rum and brandy in small bottles and I hate wasting half a bottle.....LOL

I've still got a couple of pounds of mincemeat in the freezer I had left over from last years mince pie baking.

Both the missus and I love Jacobs cream crackers, might do some experimenting and try to make my own after Christmas, can't be made of much more than plain flour, lard, water salt and some yeast.

Catfan, I noticed there were many different sizes of both Roses and Q/S choccies, used to be when there was a small tin and the large one, not counting the cardboard packages usually bought year round.

I'll make a note of that, but will have to shop on line for it, no call for Jewish products around here, no Jews live in this area that I'm aware of..I did a check of Synagogues a while back, not one in our telephone book, which covers a huge area.

I'm on my way to Morrisons. I always buy 2/3 tins for emergency presents at Christmas. Yesterday while shopping in Asda, I was put off when I saw the Smaller Tubs of the usual selections. So it looks like we have a choice of tin or tub. I always put one aside for us, just in case no one sends us one. :biggrin:

John, do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you, they are all over. A 900gram tin of Quality Street is $19.99. This shop carries quite a few British foods.

No we don't Kath, very limited shopping around here, if you look at a map of south central Missouri, you'll see our "largest" town is over 60 miles away, and it's only a rural small town.

We love it down here, quality of life is great, but shopping is very poor. Nearest large city is Springfield, or Jonesborough in Arkansas, both about the same distance from us, around four hour or more drive.

That's why we do a lot of shopping on the internet.

When we lived in Sacramento, we used Trader Joe's for some of our imported foods like Jacobs Cream Crackers, Albertsons for UK cheeses, Oxo's and some Brit bickies, the "Touch of Britain" for Bovril when we went for a fish and chip meal.

I'll check to see if Cost Plus World Market trades on line.

Most of the large cities have "Brit shops" and many have "Brit bars" to get a pint of English wallop on tap...LOL

The biggest Brit population by far has to be Florida, there are dozens of "Brit shops down there.

• Upvote 1

I wished I'd known about that store a while back Kath!!!! I used Google and Yahoo for what I was looking for and they never showed up in the searches!!

I'll be using their on line store from now on!!

Melissa, check out "members blogs" look for "fyngers blog" and go to page 14 post number 273, might answer your question about good old sweet tins cool2

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...