Anyone remember the barroboys? Everything looked good at the front but served yer the rubbish at the back

and yer didn't realise till yer oppened the bag when yer got om.

• Upvote 2

Some characters among the 'Barrowboys' back in the 60s,played snooker with some of em thursday afternoons (place nr the old Empire) and one i remember was a one eyed one who used to sell flowers,think he made more money in the snooker hall though playing 'find the lady' anyone remember him or indeed 'find the lady'...........ah misspent youthful hours.

• Upvote 1

One of my friends in Radford was friends with another lad from over the boarder in Hyson Green so occaisionally the 3 of us would knock around together. This other lad was the son of a well know city centre flower and veg barrow/stall holder and his older brother was a barrow boy selling cheap perfume and tights as well as other bits and bobs that came and went in vogue for a period. We were set on every now and then sorting big bags full of tights into in individual packets in his front room. These must have been seconds as there were often 3 legged tights and when I asked what to do with these, yes you got it, packed normally in a individual bag. There was often a family production line running in the front room with small perfume bottles being filled from big drums and putting Chanel no 5 boxes together from flat printed sheets etc. These items were sold out of suit cases and some of my mates used to go and act as lookouts to give him the nod when a police man was in the area.

• Upvote 4

Spot on Benjamin. You could say lovable rogues but I don't mean any offence as they were warm hearted nice people. Just don't buy tights from them. This was way before Del Boy. About 1968.

• Upvote 2

Went to school in the 50/60s with a lad named Raymond (Cocky) Bell who lived on Skipton Circus off Sneinton Dale his lifes ambition was to own his own Barrow which he eventually did having served his apprenticeship with his older brother Lenny. Ray had a prime pitch selling flowers on the street between the council House and (sorry can't remember the name) I used to see him there on my occasional visits back to Nottingham.

• Upvote 2

They certainly were 'catfan' i did some door work late 60s with a few of them,one i remember from Sneinton; Brian Harrison used to spar with Wally Swift.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin1945 - Wally Swift was the uncle of a friend of ours called David Swift.......

I can remember a barrowboy in the 60's/70's who used to stand at the bottom of Hockley opposite the Council House.......a small dark haired lad, looked a bit Italian .......He sold fruit and veg/flowers.....................He was a popular guy at all the local pubs/nightspots around town, I can remember him mainly going into the Cross Keys pub on Weekday Cross - (Larry London was a barman there).......cannot remember his name, but he married a girl called Sandra who I used to work with at the Solicitors......... He did well in business, owning a gift shop in Cornwall and a material shop in Beeston -The last I heard of them, they had bought a big bouse in Woodthorpe in the 1990's.......

I know him ........know his name too. I'm always rather cautious about putting folks names on here, if they're still alive, as they might google themselves and find I'm talking about them, LOL. He and Sandra divorced, he's spent many years with another lady and spends the majority of his time in South Africa dealing in jewellery I believe.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin1945 - Wally Swift was the uncle of a friend of ours called David Swift.......

The 'Swifts' were if i remember right a large family that lived in St'Anns and when i worked for Marsdens early 60s Wallys Mam used to do her shopping in the one on Parliament st,funnily enough opposite the 'Ice Stadium' where Wally went on to have many of his fights.

• Upvote 1

I know him ........know his name too. I'm always rather cautious about putting folks names on here, if they're still alive, as they might google themselves and find I'm talking about them, LOL. He and Sandra divorced, he's spent many years with another lady and spends the majority of his time in South Africa dealing in jewellery I believe.

Thanks for that, I wondered what happened to them...............He did seem a bit gypsyish always wanting to be on the move......

The 'Swifts' were if i remember right a large family that lived in St'Anns and when i worked for Marsdens early 60s Wallys Mam used to do her shopping in the one on Parliament st,funnily enough opposite the 'Ice Stadium' where Wally went on to have many of his fights.

That was Dave's grandma - Dave was born in Basford and then moved to Broxtowe............They were all big blokes.......