Award Ceremonies

It's all about Baftas in the news at the moment. What cringe-worthy events these things are. I see the leading film for nominations is the Grand Budapest Hotel. Saw this last year with my missus on Orange Wednesday ( soon to be discontinued ). What an absolute pile of crap, we'd have left if we could have got up without disturbing everyone.

The arch-luvvy Stephen Fry will be hosting the event next month, I'll be using the off button.

I'll be using the F Off button.

• Upvote 1

I read Stephen Fry has just got engaged to a much younger man than himself.

His preferences are not my cup of tea both I do wish them both well....... I just hope the age difference isn't too much for Stephen and he can keep it up and they are happy together for a long time to come!!!

• Upvote 2

Moi aussi! I like to kid myself that I have a modicum of wit and sophistication when required, but The Grand Budapest Hotel!!... what the bleddy hell was that all about? Tried to enjoy it for the first twenty minutes then realised it was going to be a somewhat arty farty waste of time despite the accolade in the Radio Times that it was a "wonderful comedy". Glad I didn't pay for a ticket!!

And as for all that gushing over these award ceremonies... unbelievable!

• Upvote 2

all these award programmes are all the same weather it be baffters or the Oscars , they are full of self important clowns that are in love with them selves. they attend these indulgent piss ups to convince them selves that they are some body. 95% of them are talentless and miles overpaid. As for steven fly less said about it the better.

• Upvote 4

and another thing whats happened to the good belly laugh humor we used to get on telly,, these soft headed so called comedians are not funny at all, is it me , or are they on another planet. Bring back Charlie Williams chalkie white, jim davison, and the holly of hollies dave allen.Alternative comedians you can shuve em!!!

• Upvote 1

absolutely TBI can you imagine these straight laced politically correct moron comedians taking the micheal out of the pope and religion and gays today, its getting that you can,t say any thing .I what ever happened to free speech!!!! its a case of the minority telling the majority what to say and do ,,, the tail wagging the dog

• Upvote 2

I think these award ceremonies are just mutual admiration societies for celebs, many of whom are constantly looking over their shoulders to see who has knives out, or who is doing better than they are.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Having been bombarded with over the top coverage of the Oscars ceremony debacle last week, I noticed that all the actors looked the same. Underfed, scrawny, wispy bearded and like descendants of Catweazle on a bad day. 

Where are the superstar PROPER actors such as Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Burt Lancaster, William Holden etc. Or the genuine hard men such as Robert Duvall, Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Ben Johnson, Clint Eastwood, Jeff Bridges, Jon Voight, or Richard Boone? 

As for the actresses, they all look similar as though they were detainees from Belsen ! 

Where are the REAL lookers such as Capuchine, Catherine Deneauve, Julie Christie, Gina Lollobrigida, Sharon Stone, Faye Dunaway, Jodie Foster ? 

.... Julia Roberts and Jason Statham ? Don't make me laugh ! 

• Upvote 2

I'd better pay him a visit then. He'll be circulating around the women I'll be bound !

Re #21..... How remiss of me to omit the ultimate hard man actor..... Lee Marvin ! 

If this man played a character who was a leader, you could bet your life that his underlings would follow him to the ends of the earth. The Dirty Dozen for example.

Check him out in 'The Killers' and 'The Professionals'. His portrayal of Western characters were priceless !

• Upvote 1

True, FLY. Point Blank too. Actually quite versatile, don't forget his comic roles, Paint Your Wagon and Cat Ballou. That scene where he's getting all dolled up in his 'Kid' gunfighter stuff was brilliant.

• Upvote 2