Too Much Information?

I once read a SF story where two major events affecting the world occurred on the same day.

1. A space ship was sent at light speed to explore space and would arrive back not long after it left because of time travel.

2. By a radio signal, everyone on earth was rendered telepathic, so everyone knew what everyone else was thinking. When the space ship arrived back on earth, it was to find that most of the poulation had committed suicide because every little thought of all was revealed and understood. With today's social medias etc. we seem to be heading that way. Do we have too much information and communication?

Also, as a matter of interest, a firm in Sweden is proposing to micro chip employees ostensibly for the convenience of easy security etc. Is this a good thing?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least we can have a bit of fun with the Bible without having our heads amputated.

How much do you charge for a passport michael

Re posts #2 and 3...... Just thought I'd just throw this into the mix .....Revelation chapter 13 verses 16, 17 & 18 written 2000 years ago.

Are we easier to programme with our codes and passwords,how long is it

before our children are given numbers and codes at birth,people dont ask for your name now ,they ask for your code to identify you.

I've rarely had to quote my National Insurance number and in fact I have to look it up whenever it's asked for. However in the United States one has to quote a Social Security number for all sorts of reasons, from buying a property, a car, insuring anything, opening and running a bank account and even subscribing to cable television. We owned a property in the US for several years and came across this hurdle many times, WE DIDN'T HAVE A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. We usually got around the problem with a bit of bluff but it wasn't easy.

Actually thats true bubblewrap,when I went into a job centre recently

despite having a whole host of identifing info it was my NI number that mattered.still dont stop people defrauding them though does it.

Re posts #2 and 3...... Just thought I'd just throw this into the mix .....Revelation chapter 13 verses 16, 17 & 18 written 2000 years ago.

• Upvote 2

The 'Mark' which was put on people's hands or heads showed that they had rejected God. It wasn't a microchip though - in the Living Bible it says it was a tattoo. I have a tattoo, but mine is a picture of my faith i.e. an empty wooden cross which has new shoots and leaves, and a dove flying near it. I like the Moses joke, Bubblewrap!

Nothing to do with "Stigmata" though ?

Stigmata (singular stigma) is a term used by members of the Christian faith to describe body marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus Christ, such as the hands, wrists, and feet.

No, it's nothing to do with stigmata. I believe such phenomena would probably be seen on people who HADN'T rejected God, though I have no personal experience of this, only read about it.

a firm in Sweden is proposing to micro chip employees ostensibly for the convenience of easy security etc. Is this a good thing?

It's a chilling sign of the way the world's going - the next thing will be governments proposing this for the whole population. It's the next step up from everyone having to carry an identity card, which the country did well to resist a few years ago.

We hear of this anti-terrorist legislation which will give the state (i.e. police and security services) powers of accessing records of emails, text messages and phone calls and it's easy to extrapolate from this a situation where everyone has a chip implanted broadcasting who knows what information to some central state organisation.

Oh, we'd get the usual arguments from government, police and security services that it would make the fight against crime and terrorism so much more effective, and if you do nothing wrong why should you fear it? No doubt - but I don't like it!

People are already much more regimented and controlled than a century ago. Where will it end?

Well that was a conversation stopper wasn't it! Was I maybe following the title of the thread too closely by 'nailing my colours to the mast?'

You can always go back to just discussing the original thoughts at the beginning of the topic - I won't be offended, honestly.

Lizzie #5, it's not widely known, but a Social Security number is not required by anyone. In fact there is NO law requiring anyone to obtain a S/S account. Even the S/S administration have admitted this!

BUT, as they say, without a S/S account and number, a person will not be able to file for income tax collection.....Is that such a bad thing??? LOL

Granted one cannot open a Bank Account without one, as for buying car, it's not needed just a drivers license.

There are many people in the US who haven't got a S/S account/number on religious grounds, the Amish are one such group. One young feller in Nevada a few years back, son of a Lawyer, was refused a drivers license on the grounds he didn't have a S/S number. His Father sued the department of transportation for Nevada over that one, I must do a search to see how he went on.

There is even a law that forbids the use of S/S number's as a form of identification.

Most Real Estate Agents require a buyer to enter their S/S number on the purchase forms, my wife doesn't, and nobody has ever come back on her over it.