When he was a child in Beeston, my father was out with his dad one day when they witnessed a very unpleasant episode. An ex serviceman who had fought in WW1 and who had lost an arm, was begging outside the Star Inn. The local policeman told him to move on and ,when he didn't, handled him very roughly and became abusive.

My grandfather intervened, telling the policeman to leave the man alone, adding that whilst the ex serviceman (and my grandfather) had been fighting for their country, it was well known that the copper had been enjoying himself in safety, drinking after hours in the pub.

This was the reality of the Land fit for Heroes!

Grandfather imparted another nugget of advice to his young son. "Never put on a uniform for this country, lad. All you'll get is a kick in the teeth...and there's the proof!"

Sad but true.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottingham's World War 1 hero & flying ace Albert Ball died on this day 7th May 1917, for you Sir, I doff my hat.

Who do other countries consider to be Nottingham's heroes? During WW2 my dad escaped from an Italian prisoner of war camp and over a period of 3 months made his way from north of Rome to a small moun

# 31. I really have a lot of affection for our Albert, silly as it may sound. My Grandmother and her 2 sisters knew him really well, growing up together in Lenton and The Park. I have letters t

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

Well said.

Question: was there a Bulwell Pals who fought in WW1?

Apparently not, it seems quite a few served in various battalions of the Sherwood Foresters, as did my Grandfather who was from Bulwell. Interesting reading the following link, the St Marys Memorial to those who lost their lives. Scrolling on the individual names often gives their battalion/regiment. 

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/WarMemorials/Details/338

• Upvote 1

There's a good saying about towns, cities and villages during WW1, with so many names from the same family.

"All gave some, but some gave all ". Very prophetic !

• Upvote 1

Having recently finished my book on the SAS, it amazed me just how many men of the SAS have no known grave.

During their heroic raids, they all knew that there would be no medical support at their makeshift base, and if badly injured, they would be left where they fell. Many died in captivity too, but obviously they were just disposed of. 

So sad for the relatives back home knowing nothing for maybe months on end. 

On Remembrance Sunday, I'll think of them in far flung parts of the world. 

• Upvote 1

While doing research on my family history I discovered that nottingham city council/country council have their own memorial section to ALL the nottingham lads that were lost in the first world war and a very comprehensive site it is as it gives their family details as well.

• Upvote 1

After reading this topic again, it's very heartening to see that many members respect what our forefathers did for us, and that we still remember and revere their brave deeds. I just hope it continues indefinitely. I salute you. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you TBI, and other posts are quite true.

Last week I recorded a programme about both German and English perspectives on the Somme..very sad - and such a waste of life..it revealed so many errors on our behalf.

Come November i truly do remember these brave fellows.

Also in the aforementioned book, there was mention of a high ranking German, amazingly enough having dinner with a captured SAS member. (This was obviously prior to Hitlers order to kill all parachutists as spies)

During the meal, the German officer asked 'Why are two great nations such as us, fighting each other, when the real enemy will be from Asia?'.... Well amazing, to say that this was over 74years ago. How the hell did he foresee this? 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

There's a good saying about towns, cities and villages during WW1, with so many names from the same family.

"All gave some, but some gave all ". Very prophetic !

Very true, Fly. Sadly, many of the Pals Battalions were virtually wiped out on The Somme, leaving whole communities decimated.

I can understand Jill's grandad's sentiments earlier, troops were regarded as nothing more than canon fodder as far as the General Staff were concerned. Fight or be shot for cowardice, volunteers didn't know what they were heading for. Heroes they certainly were, they deserved much better.

A hundred years on and it seems the Army and the Government still can't look after it's brave soldiers.

Having a pint in the Company Inn on Canal Street  today & looking at a framed picture on the wall it said "Nottingham Heroes" ! First one was Albert Ball VC, a true hero in my book, followed by William Booth, the well known Sally Army man but taking the biscuit was a bloke whom I had never ever heard of.

Thomas Arthur Browne 1870 - 1910. A well known cartoonist, illustrator who found fame in London having been born in Nottingham.

TOM_zpsc6qy7mvv.jpg

All credit to him for having a successful career but in no way was a hero, why are people like him & many others portrayed as heroes ? Makes me laugh.

Anyway I had not heard of this bloke, but being a Nottingham lad I thought a mention wouldn't hurt.

He didn't do too bad for a lad who LEFT school at 11 years of age ! But NOT a hero !

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/tribute-to-tom-browne.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Browne_(illustrator)

Well done to him, but a good cartoonist doesn't make him a hero. 

• Upvote 1

What about Henry Ireton, the Attenborough lad? You don't see many pictures of him. Depends on your view of the Civil War or, as some call it nowadays, the English Revolution, I suppose but he stood up for his principles and put his money where his mouth was. He paid the price for it too!

• Upvote 2

In the book I've recently read about the SAS in WW2 . They were told 'If you're cornered, and there's no way out, then go down fighting, and take out as many as possible'.

They are true heroes.

• Upvote 1

To go alongside your post Ian re: Zulu war,Gonville Bromhead (played by Michael Cain in the film) family church and ancestral home in the next village to me,Thurlby,He was educated in Newark on Trent

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mick,I put a couple of pictures in the hobbies section under "my trike rides" on page 2 there's one of a headstone and the other is in front of part of the ancestral home,my wife is friends with the lady who occupies the house now,obviously a member of the Bromhead family

Rog

• Upvote 1