Back to the 50's

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo of me and my Grandma circa 1950

Liver and onions? I hated it when I was a child but can't get enough now. Meals in the fifties? Stew, egg and chips, sausage and mash, anything my mum could get cheap. And sweets were still ration

Banjo, my thoughts almost exactly. But I have been left there even longer - we stopped coming up to Nottingham regularly when my elderly parents finally moved to live with us in East Anglia in 1981.

Margie,your face is familiar,how long have you lived Ely way? I worked the area alot late 70s and 80s,used to stay at the 'Lamb'

Thanks Carni - the eyes are supposed to be the 'window to the soul' aren't they. That must mean I'm a big softie (True, actually)

• Upvote 2

Benjamin, we moved to Cottenham, a village near Ely in 1976 but we didn't go to Ely that often, as Cambridge was nearer. For the last 4 years we've lived in a village nearer to Ely so we go there more often than Cambridge now. Ely is nicer anyway, as Cambridge is too crowded and parking is very expensive. Ely's parking is free! So it's unlikely our paths ever crossed but who knows....

Lovely part of the country Margie,i used to canvass independant grocery stores ,Mace,Spar,Wavy line amongst others for the VG organisation,plus Security for Budgens,as well as staying in Ely another favourite place to stay was Downham Market.

• Upvote 2

Benjamin, East Anglia is OK I suppose, but I still yearn for hills and woods/forests. I always said I'd like to move back to Nottingham when we retired but I think what I'm probably wanting is just to go back in time! Anyway, we're needed here with the grandchildren for the next few years and we have lots of good friends where we live. I think I'll just have to be contented with holidays in the Midlands and North of England....

IVE also lived in Norfolk and Cambs,............but theres no place like home is there Margie.

• Upvote 1

I agree Margie- move back to Nottm in a pre 80's time warp!! That type of thought underpins what i 've been thinking a lot lately- i tend to live in the past because i'm not making new memories. I have had some great jobs and earnt really good money- giving most of it to Armitage Shanks!! But hey ho! begs the question-- is it a young persons world?

Ian, I certainly wouldn't like to be a young person in today's world! I think there's too much pressure on them in many cases....

Now a time-warp.... that sounds nice,although I'd want to take people I know back with me! And that wouldn't really work would it...

I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up....

• Upvote 2

MargieH re #98,

My wife is exactly the same, she hates her photo being taken as she says it shows all her wrinkles ! I tell her she's still beautiful to me, wrinkles or not, but it doesn't make any difference.

As for being stuck in a time warp, I feel like that over Nottm,

I've been left just over 26 years so in my main memory I think of Nottm as it was prior and up till then, but when I return I'm hit with this partly alien place, crowded with people I don't know, humming with traffic and one way streets, I get lost on, and the city seems to have lost that special something, but maybe it's just me.

Don't get me wrong I love Nottm and always will, it is my birthplace and we have considered coming back to finish our days, but just don't think i could fit in anymore, like my memories still feel of it all.

Bit hard to explain.

• Upvote 4

Banjo, my thoughts almost exactly. But I have been left there even longer - we stopped coming up to Nottingham regularly when my elderly parents finally moved to live with us in East Anglia in 1981. We have visited Nottingham a few times since, to visit friends or just drop in as we were passing through but it certainly did feel different (of course).

But to all the others who read this, I still want to come over to meet some of you sometime this year!

• Upvote 5

Not been up long. Had a busy day so far, washed & dried the breakfast pots. Just put a small coat hook rail on the bedroom wall.

Thats me for today ! Had a warning to pack up & rest, so I am !

Mrs Catfan is balancing precariously on a ladder chopping the Ivy back whats grown all up the side of the garage.

Well she planted the bleddy stuff !

• Upvote 4

I think you summarized it pretty well, Banjo. I'm pretty sure most of us old ex-pats are living in a time warp re, Nottingham. We have some great memories, but they are of a place that no longer exists as we knew it in the fifties or sixties. Some folks say, "you can never go back." I think there is a lot of truth in that

• Upvote 3

Same for me. I still think of Nottingham as I left it in 1966. I only went 70miles away, but due to having no transport and children on the scene quickly, we didn't visit home very much in the early years. In the meantime, whole areas from my family past were flattened from Mansfield Road To St Anneswell Rd.

When we finally had a car and started to visit again more often,in the mid 70s It was like visiting an unknown City in places. Some buildings that were demolished actually disappeared in my memory as well. That is until I found Nottstalgia and started seeing the photo's and reading about them in peoples posts, bringing it all back to me. I couldn't get over the area of the Victoria Station and Hotel. All gone. But I am grateful for what is still there to bring back my Nottingham memories.

• Upvote 5