Bang! Bang! You're Dead!

There was an interesting thing on the radio news this morning. The drugs used for executions in some states of the USA are produced in Europe and because the makers do not support capital punishment, they are refusing to supply them for the purpose. This being so, the deprived states are instituting firing squads! Any comment from our Nottstalgia friends in the USA as to the truth of this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colly0410 - I remember that murder and knew the other person jailed and the young boy killed.........It's okay not agreeing with capital punishment, but it does not bring the murdered child back and

#50 catfan I wasn't generalising, I was referring to Melissa's response to your post about Shipman, West et al. There is no doubt they were psychopaths, as most multiple killers are. Murder is murde

#28 - I don't think they kill themselves because of living conditions. Probably commit suicide when they've had time to reflect on the awful things they've done. I'd assume they could no longer live w

Only one state has changed it's execution laws for a firing squad. Texas is thinking of returning to the electric chair, others use cyanide in a gas chamber.

Most of the condemned have long records of violence and multi murders, so personally, I have no sympathy for them, whatever it takes to do the job!

• Upvote 3

There is some question as to the reliability of some of the drugs used. The various authorities refuse to tell the great unwashed where or by whom these drugs are made. The debate over capitol punishment can get very contentious and I don't intend to go there. Only thing I can say is that over the years there have been some vicious murderers. You have also had some in the UK. Seems like things were safer when CP was a regular option. It seems almost a worse punishment to be kept on death row for years while a bunch of overpaid lawyers get richer arguing over the rights and wrongs and the means of execution. Seems like a rope was always pretty reliable.

I respect your position, Catfan but in the interests of not getting contentious and getting the thread locked I will not pursue this topic any further. Lets discuss the qualities of dogs vs cats. LOL

As to the original question. Yes, I think a return to the firing squad has been suggested in Utah.

Dogs are better guards than cats, I mean, who is scared by a meow.

• Upvote 1

Yeah! Dogs really care about yer too. You should hear my Beagle howl when we go out and leave him home. I even leave him the tv remote but it does no good. BTW. We even have a dog channel on tv here, do you have one in the UK? Supposed to keep 'em amused while you are out.

Only one state has changed it's execution laws for a firing squad. Texas is thinking of returning to the electric chair, others use cyanide in a gas chamber.

Most of the condemned have long records of violence and multi murders, so personally, I have no sympathy for them, whatever it takes to do the job!

Actually Utah have just approved the use of firing squads where lethal injection isn't available. With the average length of stay on death row being over a decade, I'm not sure why they needed to rush through legislation for a short term problem.

Yes we have loads of woof channels on the "box" here.

good. BTW. We even have a dog channel on tv here, do you have one in the UK? Supposed to keep 'em amused while you are out.

Please reduce the use of quoting, this has been raised many times by Mick, but seems to be getting out of hand once more.

Thanks for your co operation.

• Like 1

In the late 18th & early 19th century this country hung people for even petty crimes & it wasn't un known to hang children either.

Did capital punishment sop these crimes NO it certainly did not.

Of course the other option was a 7 or 14 year holiday in Australia. ;)

• Upvote 3

Muchas Gracios.

Mines an outdoor cat, can't find him when it's raining.

I may be wrong here but I understand one of the reasons the firing squad may be popular in Utah is because it is Mormon country and they believe you have to shed your own blood for your sin (in this case murder)

After the murder of a 10 year old in Bestwood Village (30 years ago) 2 lads were locked up for his murder: Channel 4 did a documentary on it & one of them (Mark Cleary) was freed on appeal. I helped the channel 4 researchers in the making of this program as I knew the other lad quite well as he lived round the corner from me. If the death penalty was still going Mark Cleary would have been dead. This is the reason I'm against the death penalty, when they mess up they can't free the person..

• Upvote 2

Colly0410 - I remember that murder and knew the other person jailed and the young boy killed.........It's okay not agreeing with capital punishment, but it does not bring the murdered child back and their families never recover the loss............was the same with the Bulger murder........that poor little toddler must have suffered horrifically at the time of his death and those 2 murderers are still alive with new identities and are being treated well................where do we draw the line ?.......

• Upvote 5

Very true, Blondie. This is always a highly contentious debate. Yes, there are statistics to show CP does not form a deterrent, but there are statistics that can be used to support any argument. Yes, there have been incidences of people executed who were innocent. Therefore, the judicial process that leads to capital punishment for an offender must be flawless and the guilty verdict beyond doubt.

A question to ponder, for those against ...If one of your most nearest and dearest was horribly tortured and murdered, and that murderer had previously been convicted for murder, served their time and been released, only to commit the same offence again. The murderer pleads guilty, but shows no remorse and their guilt is beyond doubt. If capital punishment was in force, what justice would you want, how would you and the rest of your family get closure?

• Upvote 1