Commo

Poverty Capital

May I remind members that this site was set up by someone at his OWN EXPENSE and in his own time, is maintained at his own expense in his own time to explore and take pleasure from the history of the city and it's people, the heritage, the memories .It is not a juke box on free play.

Bickering , unpleasantries and frivolous nonsense that should be on facebook or twitter should not be on here mis-using this wonderful resource.

Please respect our generous host !

Here goes, I'm pressing the reply button and heading for the fall-out shelter …………...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

No need for the shelter FG you are entitled to your opinion the same as everyone else.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Brew said:

This is worth a read. I make no claim of authorship and not having permission to reprint it I offer only the link. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, you must judge for your self the relevance of the article.

https://www.learning-mind.com/attention-seeking-behavior/

wow 

Correct FG, but we're finally refusing to be bullied and treated like fools.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brew said:

This is worth a read. I make no claim of authorship and not having permission to reprint it I offer only the link. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, you must judge for your self the relevance of the article.

https://www.learning-mind.com/attention-seeking-behavior/

A very interesting read and even a little bit worrying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Blimey, that's putting into words everything I've been thinking for a good few years. How appropriate.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, IAN123. said:

Here's another photo of the ladies working in the city during WW1.60445-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgThose in the know...will recognise the Cathedral wall on the left...i do enjoy documenting these pieces of old Nottingham.

Fantastic picture! Being not "In the know ' any ideas on the Cathedral on the left? What would be the purpose of the "Box' between to the two fine ladies? Newspaper Seller?

• Like 1

My guess is that it's on North Circus street opposite Albert Hall and facing Derby road (going left to right across the picture where the horse is). The east end of Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral on the left behind the wall. Those buildings across Derby Rd were all demolished when Tollhouse Hill was developed. The buildings far in the distance were demolished when Wollaton st was developed. The kiosk; there is a modern phone kiosk there now. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looked at the box with a glass, it looks to be an early phone box

• Upvote 1

Yes, certainly looks like one but it appears very basic. As said, there has always been a box at that location. Phone boxes had started to appear around the town centre before the war but were usually bigger and had a telephone sign above. I wonder if that particular one might have been for police use at that time. 

• Like 1

Yes Willow, that's a later version than the North Circus St one and a great close-up. That particular one in front of the public bogs would soon be joined by a second one next to it.

I'm a bit intrigued by the window signs which show a bell, looks like the South Western Bell logo but I think must be a coincidence.

Edit.. yes realised it would be the National Telephone Company logo.

17 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

My guess is that it's on North Circus street opposite Albert Hall and facing Derby road (going left to right across the picture where the horse is). The east end of Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral on the left behind the wall. Those buildings across Derby Rd were all demolished when Tollhouse Hill was developed. The buildings far in the distance were demolished when Wollaton st was developed. The kiosk; there is a modern phone kiosk there now. 

More than a guess..I think you've nailed it there! The incline of the road duped me..first I thought Pelham St..then somewhere off Mansfield Road..both obviously no no's! The incline between Derby Rd & Wollaton St is spot on.. I have no recall of Wollaton St this high up..other than a mismatch of buildings circa 1980's..and a few long forgotten shops..would this road have been similar to Derby Rd at one time? 

14 hours ago, TBI said:

Yes, certainly looks like one but it appears very basic. As said, there has always been a box at that location. Phone boxes had started to appear around the town centre before the war but were usually bigger and had a telephone sign above. I wonder if that particular one might have been for police use at that time. 

Used that box to phone for a Taxi..Steve Hackett at the cathedral early nineties!