This from the NEP might be interesting to Nottstalgians. It centres on Gedling but contains a lot of references to many places which have been mentioned here.

In typical stupid Evening Post fashion, it begins by saying "Pat Sinclair (nee Jeffcutt) concludes her memories of growing up in Gedling" which suggests that there has been a previous instalment, but I can't find it.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Brutal-teacher-bearded-lady-Nottinghamshire/story-29193980-detail/story.html

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoyed reading Pat Sinclairs memories very much. I didn't know her, but she was from the area I to grew up in. Nice to see these places from my past mentioned. She talks about Gedling Secondary Mo

I notice a few old land-owning family names in the article which were used as House names at Carlton-le-Willows GS. Stanhope which is the house I was in, Carnarvon and Bardolph. The other House at s

This from the NEP might be interesting to Nottstalgians. It centres on Gedling but contains a lot of references to many places which have been mentioned here. In typical stupid Evening Post fashion,

I enjoyed reading Pat Sinclairs memories very much. I didn't know her, but she was from the area I to grew up in. Nice to see these places from my past mentioned.

She talks about Gedling Secondary Modern School, which I and a few other Nottstalgians attended, and once again Mr Godfrey, the History teacher gets a mention for his throwing skills. I got dragged back into class by my ponytail by him one day, when I thought I was being very smart by slamming the door as I left the Detention Class (I can't remember why I was in detention, I was such a well behaved girl!) :unsure: ........Back to my desk. I Must Not Slam The Door. to be written Neatly 100 times before I go home! Oh Well. I enjoyed writing anyway. :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

I too, enjoyed reading her stories of growing up in Gedling, especially as she also mentioned Woodthorpe Park, and the brickyard where I sometimes used to play. The church where she got married was where we used to have Church Parade when I was a Guide. We used to march (well, march as well as girls can!) from the school on Mapperley Plains and down Westdale Lane.

She was younger than me as she said she left school in 1963 (I was 20 years old, then) but it was interesting reading

• Upvote 1

Escapades Michael, and many of them. Not quite naughty and always very nice. Lots of giggling bordering on hysterical Laughter. Now, that did get us in to a few tight corners. Especially with Maud. Bless Her. (Deputy Headmistress at Gedling School) I have memories that can still make me laugh after all these years.

• Upvote 1

Interesting but though she left Gedling 2 years before me , can't say I recognised any of the names she mentions in the story apart from Mr. Godfrey .

• 3 months later...

Don’t hear much about the history of colwick. After all its mentioned in the dooms day book. Any body shed any light on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture that I have just found on PTP. I don't think we have seen it before, it is of a corner in Gedling that most of us Gedlingites know. The image is of the building prior to the Memorial Hall, it is dated about 1900, long before any of us were born. The front of the building was used as Kennels and the back was used for boys club meetings. Replaced by the "Memorial Hall" very dear to some of us.

memorial%20hall.png

• Upvote 5

Blimey, It's all fields and trees. It didn't take long to change that. Just think, after that date some places were built and have since been knocked down. Thank goodness for PTP. I remember along with SueB48, when there was no Estate, School, Grey Goose. I can see the Smithy was established, that was part of our childhood as well. That's gone as well. The Chesterfield has survived though. Had a fairly decent meal in there a couple of months ago, who would ever have thought in the 1950s that one day we would be able to get a cooked meal there. There was a time when we would have had to be satisfied with either...Plain Crisps, Cheese Crisps (with a little twisted bag of salt), or Nibbits.

• Upvote 3

Great pictures. Thanks Carni. To us, it was like the Memorial hall was always there. Special to me, for one. Had my wedding reception there in 65.

Thanks for the map Cliff. It refers to the church as "All Saints Church." Is that a mistake or was there a name change in the past. I had always thought it was All Hallows church.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the map Cliff. It refers to the church as "All Saints Church." Is that a mistake or was there a name change in the past. I had always thought it was All Hallows church.

On all old maps it's referred to as All Saints until the mid-20th century, then it's always All Hallows.

And it seems that maybe it's interchangeable http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/gedling1908/church1.htm

• Upvote 2

See my post about Colwick locomotive depot(s) post #12

There is some social history in the book too

thanks Bubblewrap.....found this site....never new how little i new about a place i`ve lived in or lived around http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/colwick/contents.htm

#29 CliffTon, Thank you for answering something that has puzzled me about the name of the church for along while. I had noticed The All Saint and All Hallows title crop up quite often when I have been reading up about Gedling and the Church, and your right it could be that both titles are used sometimes.

As far as I know, all my life, since attending All Hallows Primary school, the Church and School were known as All Hallows, I have only become aware of the All Saints title through the Internet. Thank you for the link.

• Upvote 1

Funnily enough, FWIW. All Hallows Eve. (What we know as Halloween) is followed by All Saints day in the C of E church calendar, I think. Maybe thats where some of the confusion exists.

After all there has been a church there for a very long time. Not sure how old the present building is or how long it has stood. Probably well before Robin Hood's time.

Edited to add: Sorry, I should have read Cliff's link before I posted. A lot of questions are answered there. Thanks Cliff.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, nippergrant said:

Don’t hear much about the history of colwick. After all its mentioned in the dooms day book. Any body shed any light on this.

Wasn't there once a pleasure gardens there, arrived at bu boat from, I believe, Trent Bridge?

The last time I was in the Memorial Hall was a family celebration in 1989 for my Grandmas 90th birthday. That was also the first time I had seen some relations on my paternal side for quite a few years and the last time I will ever see some of them.

The memorial hall was used for quite a few things from the All Hallows School, so I have quite a lot of memories connected to it, also it was the base for the village youth club, until the new one was built on Shearings Hill. I particularly remember the school christmas parties held there every year

I also went to many Jumble Sales held at the hall, some of them to raise funds for the youth club.

8 hours ago, Conway V said:

Wasn't there once a pleasure gardens there, arrived at bu boat from, I believe, Trent Bridge?

If you haven't already discovered them, there are several threads mentioning the subject.

colwick pleasure park - The Nottingham Forums

Colwick park ferry C.1907 - Page 3 - St Anns, Sneinton ...

Colwick Pleasure Park

pleasure park - St Anns, Sneinton & Colwick - Nottstalgia ...

pleasure park sneinton 1955 - St Anns, Sneinton ...

• Upvote 2

welcome conway V... thats right at the end of trent lane its the boat club now. i lived on colwick vale thats near the sluice gates farther down river

10 hours ago, Conway V said:

Does anyone else have fond memories of the Memorial Hall in the 1950s?

here is a history of gedling... http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/gedling1908/titlepage.htm

• Upvote 2