Wev'e had some good friends in the past but moving to a different ara we leave them behind, although we do keep in touch. Do the younger generation have real friends I wonder, friends that would go that extra mile for each other? when at work years ago it was once said that a working mans worst enemy is his working mate. any comments about that?

• Upvote 3

Quite true. A lad worked with me for few years, and we went out regularly as a foursome. Me, my ex, him and his girlfriend.

I managed to get his wages doubled, made excuses when he was late, we let him sleep at our house if he was drunk, we looked after him as he was 18 me and my ex were 23 and more worldly.

When he got married, were we invited, were we hell !!!

When people were being made redundant in the 90's, we had lots of farewell pi55 ups. On mine I spent over £200. He attended every one and didn't pay a thing. When he left in 99, no do... He just slinked off. W****r.

• Upvote 1

Hang on to them Melissa, I'm 69 and have ended up with no friends or mates !

• Upvote 3

People are people with all their weaknesses. A good bit of philosophy turned up in 'Peanuts' when Charlie Brown was described as 'a good occasional friend'. It depends on which way the wind is blowing and I find family relationships no better at times.

• Upvote 2

My husband is my very best friend followed closely by one of our sons and his wife, our daughter, our other son and then 4 particular people in Church. I know they would all help me with anything straightaway, and are always there for me if I want to talk or need support in any way. I think I am very fortunate and thank God for all of them...

• Upvote 6

Some dream of riches untold
Of diamonds, rubies, silver and gold
But something no money cannot buy
No matter how anyone may try
Your treasure is a Special Friend
An asset I can recommend
Each other’s’ troubles you will share
As Special Friends truly care
Through the good times and the bad
Whether they’re happy or sad
They will support you no matter what
The quality a Special Friend has got
Your secrets will be safely locked away
As the soul of discretion they’ll display
They will show concern when you are ill
Lend you money to pay a bill
Give you help and advice
For you anything they’ll sacrifice
Standing by you through thick and thin
Never being false – only genuine
Someone who’s always there for you
With support loyal and true
All these things and more you’ll find
In a friend of the Special Kind!

• Upvote 4

Mitigating circumstances do play a part though !

#5 You will always have lots of friends on here!

• Upvote 2

My family and one or two others. Even though I have never met most of you I think of you as friends.

• Upvote 5

I agree, you lot are my friends. Thanks.

• Upvote 2

Makes yer feel good don't it? just a minute i'll goo an fetch me anky.

• Upvote 1

I have lots of friends who would do pretty much anything for me. I, on the other hand, wouldn't lift a finger to help any of them.

Or

I have the most considerate friends of anyone I know. Not one of them ever bothers me by calling when I'm busy watching TV or reading.

• Upvote 1

You don't have to be in touch all the time to be true friends. I have only kept in touch with some friends by Christmas card exchange, but realised that they are the true friends when they travelled from Scotland for my ex husbands funeral. It's not being there all the time that counts, it's being there when they are needed.

• Upvote 5