I was thinking back when we was at school when we went into long trousers with turn ups and gels wore gymn slips thats for the gels to sort out. then flairs and oxford bags. out of all that I don't think yer could beat the teds for smart dressing, any teds out there? and the cromby always wanted a cromby jacket.

• Upvote 2

A Nice 'Crombie'.................the finishing touch,for any man of taste,

• Upvote 4

#2 Totally agree with you Benjamin. I have still got my Crombie, hand stitched edge, mixture of cashmere and wool. Still wear it, a classic design that will never age.

Posted Image

• Upvote 4

Looks like mine Robbie,bought it in a sale in Manchester 20 years ago £30,still looks the biz.

PS, Nice wardrobe.

• Upvote 1

Being one of your 'Old Farts' Michael all i can say is, 'Crombie' on ya back,Gucci's on yer feet and a girl on yer arm,who could ask for anything more, :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I Remember so clearly,i had a meeting for a new security contract with the Coop group in Manchester,and i was early so walked down Piccadilly at 9am just as Primark were opening,saw em dragging racks of the coats onto shop floor,went in tried one on,ponced up and down in it,asked the lady assistant if it was me,needless to say she agreed lol................Wore it for the meeting..........got the contract..........and as they say the rest is History. :)

I still have mine bought 27 years ago from Burtons on Friar Lane.

Always fancied one so that was that, & the cost was £185 !

Pity after all these years it shrunk a bit cos it's a bit tight under the armpits nowadays !

• Upvote 1

Later on, I did get a Crombie that I also had for many years. Mine was the tan colour, considered a bit racier. Then of course Arthur Daley and Del Boy appeared :biggrin:

I loved that coat, unfortunately a family of moths loved it more.

• Upvote 2

Still have my Crombie, cost £200 about 20 years ago but its still as good as new. Good job too I seem to attend a lot of winter funerals these days and its indispensable.

I heard it was fashioned on the navy's watch keepers coat but don't know if that is true.

• Upvote 1

I remember when Burtons of hockley started the buy a suit for half a crown a week you'd never paid for the damn thing by the time you'd paid yer half a crown off the bill the interest on the remainder swallowed it up. I think it was Burtons if my memory serves me right.

when me and me mate left school charcoal grey suits were all the rage, everybody went mad for a charcoal grey suit.

• Upvote 1

PINK SOCKS???? These days??? Sounds a bit "camp" to me....LOL

And brothel creepers?

A few years back I went in the Sutton on sea carnival as a ted I got some ordinary black shoes and sprayed the soles with some expanding foam, cut round the edges and painted the foam black the looked btilliant just like brothel creepers as we went along in the parade about half a mile down the road the bleddy heel started to wear down fast and I began hobbling along like a berk trying to blow these bazookers we all had, It was

a bleddy nightmare. had a good laugh about it though.

• Upvote 2

Had a Crombie coat many years ago, cannot remember where from or how much but it was very similar to the photo.

Also remember driving my mum nuts for a Harris tweed jacket, I'd be around 15-16 maybe.

On my recent trip back to Nottm last September I went to the big store near the A1 at Grantham, and nearly bought another Harris tweed but in reality would probably never have worn it here in oz.

Was around 350 pounds I think. Lovely jacket though.

I did buy a Barbour motorbike jacket though.

• Upvote 1