Fires

Duh!!

Sorry Fog...me too.on a retired NFS site some kind fireman saved the tenders tax discs upto 1968..worth a gleg.

Ian.

• Like 1

Ian, I've had a scan for those tax discs, can't find a thing, any chance of a link or some clues? I have an ex Nottingham City Commer, off the road for decades in a museum store, found in the screen was a "tax disc". Done on a typewriter :

Nottingham City Fire Brigade

999BTV

Road fund licence exempt.

I can't prove it was a genuine original though. To see the ones you spotted would be kinda' good.....

The machines were property of the Crown . I have a vague memory of seeing such discs in the screens. 

• Like 1

These are from GLT 676...think Holland-up in Teeside had it..but i am sure it was in Nottm too.

K2 ATV has some  history too.GLT676-old-tax-discs-1108x800.jpgThis has some charm also.31346946993-bce10f3eab-b.jpg

Ah, I see, these are for vehicles owned outside the fire service. Those Austin ATV's were everywhere, very useful and lasted well. I had one at one time , GLR 829,

not sure where it is now. 

Thanks Ian

• Like 1

Fire Horses late..19th Century..picured here on South Sherwood St.Fire Station..which was built after a greater need to the one formerly on St.Johns Street..building took from 1885-88.fire-horses-2.jpg

Re Ian123's great photo of Blue watch, Central,1938, I mixed up Hull City Police/Fire Brigade with Nottingham, I don't think Nottingham was ever a Police Fire Brigade.

My apologies to those I misled.

It's pre-war AFS uniform, the 'sergeants ' markings would be in red. Same period, 1938 to August 1941.

The I think the guy, dead centre is George Hodson, who was Deputy Chief at the time of the Dakins fire , 1969, and soon after Chief Fire Officer. I remember  him telling me he was in the AFS.

• Like 1

Obviously been "hotted" up, as was the trend in them day's!!

The photo of the presentation looks like the conclusion of a recruit course.  Top of the course got a chrome plated axe. The good old days !

On the left is Bert Caunt, still alive in his 90's I believe.

• Like 1

I can guess which photo it is, Tuesday 21st Jan 1969.Albert Smiths' funeral following the Dakins fire.

For some reason, all I get is a cross in a black square and lots of numbers. This happens a few times, computers winning 3 falls to 1 submission !

• Like 1

Yes Fog..a very sad time, was the Chief Inspectors car a black car..like a Singer Vogue?..he had a black Triumph in the late 1960"s.

• Like 2

The photo has now appeared !      

I can name quite a few people in the line up from the left, yours truly being no3.

The fire was on the early morning of Thursday, coroners enquiry Friday morning and funeral Tuesday the next week.

No other enquiry.

I had made notes ready for an enquiry ( as it was me who found Albert unconscious ) and after years researching bit by bit, finally completed a full dossier on the fire last year.

Not sure why, I just like research and spotting the Nottstalgia site was a real boon.

• Like 1

Brilliant Fog..yourself and the crews present at Dakins..and all other shouts..put yourself in danger everytime. Serving and retired Emergency Services get the thumbs up everytime.RIP to Albert..who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I too feel close to the Central building..hope the photo didn't upset anyone..ian.

• Like 1

Yes, Central was quite a place...….

Re the chiefs car, I sometimes think it was a Singer Vogue, but I've just checked and it was a Humber Sceptre, in a brilliant deep red/crimson. Gauges all over the dashboard, I wanted one !

Probably a series 1a, I'm sure it was a 'C' reg. We seemed to have had a link with Rootes vehicles. A few Commer fire engines over the years, Hillman and Humber cars. I suspect it was a Masonic link, George Hodson was open (rare in those days) about being a senior mason.

Washed and polished it a few times !

• Like 1

Lincolnshire fire and rescue water tanker

Lincoln_fire_service_water_tank.jpg

Rog

A couple more for Fogrider

coventry_transport.jpg

coventry1.jpg

BHoth taken at the Coventry transport museum

Rog

sorry about the quality

• Like 2

Will be visiting that museum this summer, haven't been for a very long time. End of May/early June is the 100th anniversary of Citroen cars, 1000 Citroens going, including my DS. Transport museum a must visit !

Yes, I’d llke to hear more about that. I had the opportunity to drive a new one a few times back in the early 60’s. It was a very revolutionary car in those days. Very fascinating hydraulics!