Early June garden - a few photos....

Thank you Michael. Been up the top end today. The Orchids are just beginning to flower. Photos in a day or two.

• Upvote 1

I won't say: "You're very lucky to have such a lovely garden," as it's beautiful mainly because of your hard work and attention! People used to say that to us and from my own experience I know It's NOT luck!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Margie, it has taken twenty years to get it from an open rubbish tip and former station yard to this. More photos soon.

• Upvote 2

After a lot of hard work over the years the garden is looking quite nice. Four years ago we had an infestation of chafer beetles that ruined the lawn. I dug it all up and to save work instead of relaying a lawn down the side of the bungalow I constructed a feature that required little or no maintenance. Also, the six-foot-high, four-feet-wide leylandii hedge that was dying fast was taken out - removing the 33 established roots is a good way to keep fit - not! This has been replaced with what we hope will turn out to be a lovely escalonia hedge with its apple blossom foliage. At the top of the garden Mrs Chulla has produced a wildflower garden, that now has about a thousand daisies tossing their heads in spritely dance. Won't be long before the budlias are attracting large number of butterflies. The plant in the centre is a spiraea, which has grown like the clappers since planting last summer.

In the back garden - Mrs Chulla's domain, we have apple and pear trees full of young fruit, and guzgogs in abundance. The roses are in full bloom and there will be vegetables to look forward to later. The Japanese Quince on the front wall - I posted a picture of it in full bloom recently, has thrived on the drastic pruning I gave it and is producing a very large number of quince fruit.

The lawn grass is also growing like the clappers and needs cutting too often, but at least it does not appear to be affected by chafer beetles, of which there are still some in the garden.

Keeeeeeep digging and keeeeeeeep mowing.

DSCN1146_zpsi8jr0goh.jpg

DSCN1145_zpsabbuyr8d.jpg

• Upvote 7

#12. They are Lemon Thyme. I have planted them to cover the wood borders. After doing nothing for months they are going like the clappers now, except for a few that never made it - which have been replaced now. They have a multitude of small purple flowers - and have a strong lemon odour. Might do the same for the circular wood borders.

• Upvote 1

Sis, here is a picture of the Lemon Thyme plant with its little florets.

DSCN1148_zpsv6kpsddm.jpg

• Upvote 3

Super garden Chulla! Particularly like the Lemon Thyme.

• Upvote 1

Here's a few photos of the Garden in June. Some hidden corners and other bits.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/Compo-in-Caithness/June%20garden%202015/IMG_3291_zpsgh5dpmxm.jpg

A Sample from the set (Northern Marsh Orchid):

IMG_3265_zpsixgwzhhu.jpg

• Upvote 1