I see that Greece is not the only country in dire straights, the Chinese stock market has collapsed!! I wonder if we are on the brink of an international bank collapse?

Hope you've got some of your paper money changed to silver or gold coins!!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news DJB, but the Chinese stock market has all but crashed!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/chinese-chaos-worse-than-greece/story-fnu2pycd-1227430761673

Take a look at this graph and you'll see why it isn't really as bad as some commentators are saying. As many experts think the Chinese government are over-reacting as think it will cause real problems. 'All but crashed'? It's more than doubled in value in the last 12 months and is now readjusting. At 'crashed' levels it's still 75% up on a year ago. No need to sell your bamboo shoot futures just yet.

From the Economist

The trigger in China’s case is perplexing. Yes, the stockmarket is down a third over the past month, but that has simply taken it back to March levels; it is still up 80% over the last year. Growth, though slowing, has stabilised recently. Other asset markets are performing well. Property, long in the doldrums, is turning up. Money-market rates are low and steady, suggesting calm in the banking sector. The anticipated correction of over-valued stocks hardly seems cause for much anguish.

Some years ago there was a TV play about Britain being in dire straits, similar to those of Greece today, and the government was waiting on America to bail us out. The help was not forthcoming from that quarter but did in fact come from Russia. It wouldn't surprise me to see Russia step in now. After all, Greece is desperate for money and I'm sure Russia wouldn't mind a military toe hold such as this in the Med.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news DJB, but the Chinese stock market has all but crashed!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/chinese-chaos-worse-than-greece/story-fnu2pycd-1227430761673

Once every 3 or 4 years I get to weigh in a load of scrap metal. I had planned to do so about now, so last week I rang up Wards to find out what they were paying for mixed metal. It is currently £80 per tonne - which is VERY low. It is partly because the Chinese no longer want it!

The thing is that the China's underlying economy is fine. I bought shares in the Shanghai International Ports company in November at 5.75 and it's grown 50% even with this 'crash'. There's even been a bounce back today against the low point.

I also read a prediction Russia would bail Greece out too.

Depends on how far the yard want to take it, they really should ask for proof of where you obtained the metal. The whole act is bloody shambolic and of course the wise boys find a way round it. But its worth checking before you trundle off down there, only to have to return to get correct documentation.

Russia doesn't have the money.

Even if they did have the cash they are severely restricted by waht they can trade in Euros and Dollars because of the sanctions.

Unless Greece decides to ditch the Euro for the Rouble.

Once every 3 or 4 years I get to weigh in a load of scrap metal. I had planned to do so about now, so last week I rang up Wards to find out what they were paying for mixed metal. It is currently £80 per tonne - which is VERY low. It is partly because the Chinese no longer want it!

Whoa, hang on there, the Chinese money market is in dire problems cos the Pianoman hasn't weighed his scrap in ! :jumping:

• Upvote 1

I knew no good would come for selling these Xiaomi cameras for forty six quid!

As long as I don't have to start paying any shipping on 99p ebay items from Shenzhen!

When weighing in at the scrappie they need your driving licence and you are paid by cheque. Its a farce!

The Banksters are talking of a cashless society, that will benefit the lower paid poorer parts of society, they can trade and barter, we will have a "black underground" economy where governments lose on taxes and not be able to trace all transactions.

It will screw the rich as every purchase will produce an electronic paper trail, I also wonder how the drug "lords" will handle a cashless society, they will lose billions.

Hell, this maybe a way to get rid of the drug problems...LOL

• Upvote 1

What happens when cheques get phased out ! Payment in "groats" possibly !

You can have it paid straight into your bank if you wish. I like to pay the cheque into the Building Society

My ex sister in law(first wife's sister) lives in Crete in a small village & a lot of life is carried on by barter & for village life it works quite well.