Calling all romantics! Wednesday afternoon at 1.55pm, BBC2 is showing The Bette Davis, Paul Henried film Now Voyager. Undoubtedly one of the best romantic films ever made - terrific music score also.

carni, put the bike away, sit on the settee with a plate of cream buns and a box of Kleenex. Do what her lover does; put two Park Drives between your lips, light them both and pass one to Chris. Gaze into his eyes and say the Bette Davis line 'Don't ask for the moon when we have the stars', and watch him go all gooey.

• Upvote 4

Oooooh! An old chick flick. :-) watched Hayley Mills in Tiger Bay on YT the other night. Some good old Ealing studios stuff on there in fact quite a few good old films from the 40s and 50s.

These old films stand out against most of those produced today which, when you look at them, seem to have been made purely for the sake of making a film.

• Upvote 2

Got my mother staying with us at the moment, she's broken her arm. Yesterday rainy afternoon she said she wanted to see Fred and Ginger in 'Shall We Dance' so we sat down in front of the telly. At the end she said ' ah, they don't make 'em like that anymore '.

And thank heavens too, a bit of decent dancing but what a load of old tosh!

#1 Chulla, Thanks for the tip about the film. I have booked my seat on my usual end of the sofa. The buns are ordered. Can't beat a good old romantic film. We have done the Park Drive scene many times over the years, but if I uttered those words in his ear now, he would probably, very quietly and romantically whisper back. "Wot yo on wi naagh miduck" in his best Nottingham accent!

Talk about old films, this afternoon Chris was watching a 1971 Italian version of Robin Hood called "Archer of Fire" on Freeview48 15.05pm-17.10pm. Dubbed of course. You see, even the Italians know enough about Robin Hood, to make their own film about him. Nottingham Council really should promote the story more.They could bring in extra money for the city.

• Upvote 1

I have a box of Kleenex by my side watching a film Chulla, but it aint Now Voyager!!!!....ooh er matron......

Haven't been to a cinema in years, much prefer to watch movies at home, got a 50 inch flatscreen, feet up, no kids screaming, plenty of cold drinks in the fridge, doesn't cost a fortune either and can put the movie on pause anytime to take a trip to the bog.

• Upvote 2

Living a very short distance from the Moulin Rouge cinema, I began to love film from an early age. Our house was full of books so to escape my childhood hell- I read: Henry Williamson, Steinbeck, Greene, Lindop, Cassandra,Dick Francis,I used to adore his stuff! So if a film came out and I'd read the book..off I'd go.Tarka,Ring of bright,fear is the key,angry mountain,Kes..etc,Dirk Bogarde still is my favourite, as is Leno Ventura, Warren Oates,Harry dean Stanton, Harry Andrews. I started Kino film club at college and sourced some great movies. Z,The train, The Swimmer, Frenzy, Seance on a wet afternoon, The Whisperes, Army of Spies,king and Country,The servant..to name but a few..escapism a sort of Walter Mitty I suppose.It takes a lot for me to venture to the cinema these days.Warhorse I found disappointing, I would like to see a film dramatisation of Audrey Erskine Lindops,"The way to the Lantern".If you have'nt read it...do so it is an undiscovered gem!!

Bought a video projector a few years ago, John. Very cinema like experience. Turner classics ran "This is Cinerama" a year or two ago. Still enjoy the roller coaster ride, and as you say you can get to the bog any time without stepping on ten pairs of feet and at our age that is becoming more necessary. Always used to like a window seat on airplanes. Tend to ask for an aisle seat these days.

• Upvote 1

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of "Train of Events" starring Dixon of Dock Green Jack Warner, that they could let me borrow?

SWMBO has Netflix. Loads of great stuff on it she says. After 6 months I still haven't found a single thing to watch. Maybe I should stop searching for old films and change to modern maximum violence and minimum dialogue films?!

Bought a copy of 'Shall We Dance' yesterday'. I think Fred Astaire And Ginger Rogers were the ulltimate in making escapism films in their day and it's strange how black and white films seem to enhance the mood.

Compo. Have checked YouTube, but it does not have a copy of the film. But it does have quite a number of clips from it.

Well, did any of you watch Now Voyager? I didn't because I have the DVD, but did watch the preceding documentary showing the Bette Davis TV interviews with Parkinson and Wogan.

There was an interview with Ginger Rogers screened the other day in which it was said that at the time of her first film with Fred Astaire, Ginger was the bigger star of the two but he was billed first; an example of sexism. She also said that she did what he did during a dance routine but did it backwards and wearing high heels.

• Upvote 2

I saw that programme too. The interviewers were really trying to get both Ginger and Fred to say their working relationship was strained. Neither was having any of it though.