The old Arnold Baths

We had our school swimming lessons there. The changing cubicles were on each side of the pool and it was blumming cold. Or, more probably, I was blummin mardy. I used to whinge that I was cold and the teacher would let me go and get changed early.

I actually learned to swim thirty years later.

• Upvote 1

I went for swimming lessons at Arnold Baths. It was around 1950/52 ish. We walked two by two from Arno Vale Primary. We had to take our swimming costumes each week but sometimes there were too many children so some couldn't go - that's how I remember it anyway. As I recall, the swimming lessons consisted of us getting in and then having to duck down under the water, which scared me. We must have done some swimming, though, as I got a certificate.

Eileen, I remember the water being cold and the cubicles on the side of the baths, but was there a separate changing room for schools as well? I also remember going to a school swimming gala there, although I wasn't in the team.

I also remember going to Arnold swimming baths with school. The changing room was always cold

and so was the water, we had to rush to get dressed at the end of the lesson and I hated every minuet of it.

I used to go to Arnold Baths with Kingswell Junior School on Gedling Road. I'd never been swimming before but really took to it, despite jumping in on the first occasion with my precious wristwatch on. After only a few weeks of lessons the school entered me into the Arnold and Carlton Gala and I came second in the 25yd Freestyle event! Still got the 'sustificate'. I still remember the name of the girl who beat me too! After that I would go to the Baths several times a week after school, also Saturday mornings when one of the pool attendants would throw pennies and big black rubber bricks into the water for us kids to dive for. One day the little man with the built-up shoe (he had one short leg ...... and a Downs Syndrome son for that matter) called my basket number as my hour in the water was up. I thought I'd just do another couple of lengths and dived in the shallow end, hit the bottom and broke a front tooth. It still upsets me when I think about it now, as I've had to have several crowns on that tooth over the years.

I don't remember there being a proper changing room for a load of kids, just the cubicles along each side, one side male and the other female.

After swimming I used to toddle along to a bakers on Front Street and buy a hot cob to eat on the way home.

Remember it well, I nearly drowned there as a child ! my brother took me and was supposed to watch over me, but he was playing in the deep end with his mates, I was alone in the shallow end but decided to go and jump in at the deep end as it looked more fun, the lifeguard fished me out, as my brother never even noticed me floundering away.

Hated water after that till one day at Butlins in skeggy, I overcame my fear with the help of a mask & snorkel and finally learn't to swim at around 12.

• Upvote 1

I also remember going to Arnold swimming baths with school. The changing room was always cold

and so was the water, we had to rush to get dressed at the end of the lesson and I hated every minuet of it.

Yes! we used to go there too from Chandos School by coach each week.

You are right sue B it is very hard to do a MINUET in water like that. Sorry couldn't resist it!!!!! slywink

• Upvote 1

Oh yes, the Bonington - went to see 'Rock around the Clock' there. Were the baths called the Bonington Baths or am I misremembering that?

Hiya Eileen.They were called the Arnold Baths when I worked there from 1972 to 1978.

I used to go to Arnold Baths with Kingswell Junior School on Gedling Road. I'd never been swimming before but really took to it, despite jumping in on the first occasion with my precious wristwatch on. After only a few weeks of lessons the school entered me into the Arnold and Carlton Gala and I came second in the 25yd Freestyle event! Still got the 'sustificate'. I still remember the name of the girl who beat me too! After that I would go to the Baths several times a week after school, also Saturday mornings when one of the pool attendants would throw pennies and big black rubber bricks into the water for us kids to dive for. One day the little man with the built-up shoe (he had one short leg ...... and a Downs Syndrome son for that matter) called my basket number as my hour in the water was up. I thought I'd just do another couple of lengths and dived in the shallow end, hit the bottom and broke a front tooth. It still upsets me when I think about it now, as I've had to have several crowns on that tooth over the years.

I don't remember there being a proper changing room for a load of kids, just the cubicles along each side, one side male and the other female.

After swimming I used to toddle along to a bakers on Front Street and buy a hot cob to eat on the way home.

The " little man " (Charlie) used to call in occasionally and his son Leslie was a regular swimmer when I worked there.

• Upvote 1

PP, I expect your wife is younger than me (most people are!) but I wondered if she was at Arno Vale at the same time as me...