You Don't See This Much Nowadays !

SCUSE ME!! Only Bulwellians should have the right to knock Chinatown. I seldom do...but some light 'knocking' between Benjamin Catfan and myself is permitted. Bulwell taught me to stand up for myself..lost count of the scraps I've had in and outside work gates. Everyone asks about me knuckles.. even a Vietnamese quack in Cork Hospital.."horse and Jockey"that derailed him!! seriously though my no nonsense approach to life is courtesy of Bulwell.. I miss it!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always shook hands with people I meet. When I meet male members of my family we shake hands and kiss on the cheek. It's a sign of love and respect. The ladies get a hug and a kiss. It's how we've

Walking through a country park with Mrs Catfan yesterday an elderly gent walked towards us, as he drew near he said good morning & then "doffed" his hat to Mrs Catfan ! How nice was that I though

Not so much don't see it much anymore as never seen it. After finding a car park in Ely yesterday we looked for somewhere to pay and found this notice. ' Parking here is free. Enjoy your day and tell

I think that real ladies love being kissed on the hand. Trouble is, I only know one true lady. LOL

• Upvote 1

What do you mean 'ladies ' there aren't any young ladies, or very few.

#113&114

Interesting, the use of 'what'. At Trent Bridge Juniors, we were always made to say pardon instead of what. I recall some years later, during an English lesson at Mundella, I was asked a question by the teacher and I queried it with a pardon? The girl who sat next to me did a mock sigh and said 'it's what, not pardon'. The teacher heard and asked the class, ' should you say what or pardon?' The majority agreed it should be pardon. The teacher said no, the correct form is what.

Just did a quick google and apparently it's a bit of a class thing, those of the higher social echelons regard it as extremely common to say pardon instead of what. I remember the class-mate who put me right was quite a 'posh bird' ( very, very nice though, not snobby at all :) ).

• Upvote 1

Mrs Catfan tells me she was outside this morning at 7am cleaning the downstairs windows & scrubbing the front door steps !

Thats why I had to wait for my morning tea. !

• Like 1

My sister tried to buy moth balls a few months ago and was told they are now illegal!!??

TBI when were you at Mundella - was the English teacher Mr Jacobs?

I was at Mundella from '65-72, OrphanAnnie. No, it was Mr Garofall, I can remember Mr Jacobs but never had him as a teacher.

My sister tried to buy moth balls a few months ago and was told they are now illegal!!??

It the P.C. brigade again they were none too happy with the castration of all those moths.......

It put a lot of people out of work. :jumping:

• Upvote 1

I was at Mundella from '65-72, OrphanAnnie. No, it was Mr Garofall, I can remember Mr Jacobs but never had him as a teacher.

You must have been the year below me then, I started 1966 but in the third form when we moved from Burton. I remember Mr Garofall. Mr Jacobs was a pipe smoker. I looked after the axolotyl in the biology lab during the holidays, had to feed him slivers of raw liver which I had to dangle in front of his face as he was almost blind. Got 6d a week from Chalky White.

I took a box of mothballs over for a gardening friend, on my last trip over there. It's a wonder they weren't confiscated, now I know they are banned.

You must have been the year below me then, I started 1966 but in the third form when we moved from Burton. I remember Mr Garofall. Mr Jacobs was a pipe smoker. I looked after the axolotyl in the biology lab during the holidays, had to feed him slivers of raw liver which I had to dangle in front of his face as he was almost blind. Got 6d a week from Chalky White.

Yes OrphanAnnie, the axolotyl was a fixture in the Biology lab all the time I was there, they must live a long time. Always pitied the poor thing though, stuck in it's little tank with us lot peering in all the time. Had Chalky for Biology too, nice bloke, the majority of teachers I had at Mundella were pretty good.