• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to "bump" this topic, I'm aware only staff can post on it. BUT, it seems some of the complainants of this topic seem to have a problem with reading my first post. We had a problem with OV

Bangs head on table! There is no restriction on quoting, only over quoting. There will be no charge to use nottstalgia We will do all we can to keep the database manageable so that posts can remain

4 days and 69 posts,and only 3 from the Ladies,.........think they know summat men don't.

Here is the answer. It has been explained before many times.

Its not cost, its database size. Eventually we will run out of capacity.

Nottstalgia is unique in that the older posts are the most valuable.

We will allow you to quote 20 lines of a previous post and add "LoL"

We will then start deleting all posts over 5 years old to keep our database down to size.

Text takes up so little space and storage has become so cheap now that I don't understand anyone worrying about it. What takes up space is pictures and we don't host them here. I used to run a forum that had probably 20 or 30 times the traffic here (a couple of thousand active users per day, 2,000 or so messages a day) and it still didn't cost much or take up much space. That was some years ago and storage costs have dropped considerably since then.

#33 I for one think an extra $250 a year on top of Mick`s already very generous payments is something that he should not have to add. All very well talking about the extra cost until one tries to collect. I think it should be VERY WELL DONE MICK.

• Upvote 2

#37 I presume that means you don't think this forum is worth chipping a tenner a year in? I seriously doubt raising a few hundred pounds a year would be a problem. I donate to a number of forums as do many other people. You see forums go beyond being owned by their owner and if run properly start to give their users a sense of ownership. If people want to quote and are prepared to donate to make that possible I don;lt understand why that option isn't on the table.

The current database of 10 years use is about 1gb (gigabyte) in size.

It is possible to switch off the ability to quote at all. but quoting is an important part of a forum, as is multi quoting where appropriate.

It is not quoting that is the problem, its excessive quoting.

• Upvote 1

10GB storage is £2.75 a month. I still don't understand the problem. I'd happily pay £2.75 a month to keep this forum going and have it more usable by being able to quote. When the forum started this may have been a problem but storage costs have dropped so much it really should't be an issue any more.

Bangs head on table!

There is no restriction on quoting, only over quoting.

There will be no charge to use nottstalgia

We will do all we can to keep the database manageable so that posts can remain online for future generations.

• Upvote 6

Charging to use forums drives people away, many new prospective members and probably a few old members will go elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Bangs head on table!

There is no restriction on quoting, only over quoting.

There will be no charge to use nottstalgia

We will do all we can to keep the database manageable so that posts can remain online for future generations.

Bangs head on same table. There ARE restrictions on quoting. This would be considered an overquote and it's nonsense. We don't live in a world of dialup and 20GB hard drives any more. There is NO reason whatsoever to limit quoting. Storage space is NOT an issue these days and I have not suggested charging to use Nottstalgia. I am just pointing out what nonsense it is to try and pretend that cost and storage space are a factor. I'll tell you what Mick. Why don't you ask if people would prefer this forum to be as user friendly as every other forum I and everyone else uses and if people would happily donate a few quid for that to happen. That's NOT charging, it's allowing your membership a say and accepting that they value the site enough to contribute. If anyone is prepared to foot the bill why are you still against it? Give me your paypal Mick and I'll send you the first year's costs, It's £40 for Pete's sake. What's the problem.

Mr. or is it MS? Brenton,The lady?gentleman doth protest too much, has been used as a figure of speech, in various phrasings, to indicate that a person's overly frequent or vehement attempts to convince others of something have ironically helped to convince others that the opposite is true, by making the person look insincere and defensive. He/she certainly PRESUMES too much. You don`t seem to be aware that this forum is entirely owned and paid for by Mick2Me. It is entirely up to him to decide to do with it as he please.

If people want to quote and are prepared to donate to make that possible I don;lt understand why that option isn't on the table.

Quite simple DJ Brenton it is entirely in Mick's domain.

• Upvote 3

Sorry Stan, I thought this was meant to be a community. Obviously this forum is entirely for Mick's benefit and he doesn't value anyone else's opinions. Is that what you're saying Stan becuase I'd hate to think you're right. I think this forum would be more usable if we were allowed to quote more. the only reason ever given why that shouldn't be the case is storage space. I have pointed out that this is not a serious issue these days and if cost is a factor then the members (or at least me) would be happy to help out. Why do you have a problem with that opinion? Are we not allowed them either according to you? And if my posts have somehow convince you of the opposite then I really have no idea how your thinking works. And what exactly am I 'PRESUMING', that we are allowed to discuss things here?

Again entirely Mick`s decision . Of course you are allowed an opinion but you are bound by his rules on his forum. I do not like the decision to exclude my very middle ground political opinions on here,but that is the rule. I suppose you are aware of the difference between democracy and benevolent dictatorship?

So I AM allowed my opinion then. That's very kind of you. I've run and been a member of many forums so of course I understand that forums are benevolent ( one hopes) dictatorships. You seem to be saying, however, that no-one else's opinions can or should be taken into account by the dictator though and I disagree. Forums become communities and should ideally be run in ways that suit the members I believe this forum would be more usable for the members if quoting posed less of a problem. Do you disagree or do you think putting #3 and everyone having to go back 3 pages is somehow better? If you don't disagree then I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I'm just curious as to how, in this day and age, 1 single GB of storage poses a problem. If it is only cost then I really don't see why those who would like quoting to be easier shouldn't be ALLOWED to contribute towards the cost. Whose interest does that go against and who will it be worse for as a result? Of course it's up to Mick. I'm trying to persaude him to my point of view. Feel free to argue against my points but please don't just try and stifle an opinion because you think dictatorships can't accomodate them.

What's so hard to understand? Of course Mick provides that and if he does't care one jot what anyone else thinks then I'm sure he'll say so. Until then I'll make my point and he can either ignore it, argue with it or agree with it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need other people to fight his 'battles' though. The point I keep making is that his reasons given as 'storage space' are ten years out of date. For all we know Mick hasn't re-looked at hosting for years and is being ripped off with only 1GB storage when you can get 10GB for next to nothing. I have no idea other than that complaining about storage space when the site only takes up 1GB after 10 years is frankly odd.

Again I'll ask you as well as Stan. Do you think the forum works better and is more readable when we use #3 or when we quote? That's entirely my point and I'm proposing a solution not just complaining about it. If Mick wants to ignore that opinion then as benevolent dictator that's his right. Why do people seem to think we can't offer opinions though just because it's Mick's site? I'm sure he doesn't.

I'm now typing an example of what we don't want. Situations where someone quotes the previous post in order to reply to it.

When this happens, it means that everything is repeated. Every post that someone makes is copied into the next post, so the whole Nottstalgia database becomes twice as big as it should be, in half the time. And the amount of space it occupies is something which mick2me has to pay for.

The original answer to the question of what is the problem with quoting which DJBrenton has indicated is not a problem. So what is the problem?

I agree with Ayupmeducks (#46) but I cannot see why there is a problem regarding quoting. It's been clearly stated that quoting is acceptable if you'd need to go back to previous pages to find the relevant post. What mick2me is stating is don't quote posts that are on the same page. I can't understand why anyone should have a problem with this. I think it's a good thing that Members should air their views if they disagree with something but we should all accept that mick2me has the final decision and we should all accept this. As this post is #59 it's obvious that some people aren't.

• Upvote 4