What do you think to Like / Dislike button

Heard on the radio today that a social media website is going to have a "dislike" button, whats the point? if you don't like something you don't bother reading it or have I got it wrong? I know there is a like button on here but does it show up anywhere if you "unlike" a post or is that a different thing altogether,looks like more ways to have an argument with someone you are not face to face with.

Rog

Pete if you are reading this post the Dakota has just flown over my office at about 200ft very nice

On Nottstalgia, the "Unlike" button is for someone to change their mind about a post. It simply removes your earlier "Like". It doesn't say you "Dislike" a post.

There is the facility to have a "Dislike" button on here, but Mick has chosen not to have it available.

Appreciate what you are saying CT,just wasn't sure if the unlike button showed up anywhere,what I 'm on about is a "dislike" button, I personally don't think a "dislike" button is a useful tool on a website as it could cause upset to members of that site whether directly or indirectly

Rog

Exactly !

I saw about the proposed "Dislike" button on Facebook, and I think it will be a bad move. It's a licence to be negative and awkward. Some people will think it a big laugh to go round and "Dislike" anything which catches their eye. It's not being constructive or helpful, and some people would be put off from posting anything if they got a thumbs down.

• Upvote 5

A 'like' button is sufficient. If you dislike something just keep yer trap shut! :biggrin:

That's not exactly the case though. Many members don't keep their traps shut, they respond with anything from a tut tut to a full-on rant. Dislike button? No need.

• Upvote 1

That's what makes this forum so interesting TBI, I love reading other people's views. Even though I may disagree with many of them.

A bit introspective for me,spelling, quoting, liking..more Nottm info and memories.seems odd,the other day our members were discussing a subject on the running of this site and were " padlocked" out!! Even though the smooth running of NS is essential.. too much inward scrutiny could cause loss of spontaneity and thus dissuade new and fresh postings.. In a nutshell less BS more NS.

Apparently, the FaceBook 'dislike' button will exist so that you can convey the sentiment of 'how sad' or 'oh dear' to empathise with a bad experience (such as someone's cat has died). Personally I dislike FaceBook in toto so it's not an issue for me. Can anyone empathise with that?

Cannot see the point anyway, if you dislike something then just ignore it............

On some sites, a dislike button or even something, shall we say, more robust, is necessary. I frequent a military site where the conversation can be quite basic. (To say the least)

Its not for Nottstalgia. If someone says something I dont like its perfectly possible to reply in measured terms without becoming abusive or aggressive. In fact its better that way. A dislike button says very little. A sensible reply is often informative for both sides, even if neither actually end up agreeing.