In fact. It weighed nearly 600 gr. It was found locally. Its now the truffle season and everywhere you go its truffles truffles and more truffles. Plenty of tourists to enjoy them ( and pay for the privelidge)

Price Euro 3.800 per kg.

DJB that sounds about right, this time of the year is truffle and wild boar season. Fortunately hunting is prohibited in this area but we still hear gun shots every now and then.We live south of asti its 1/2 hr away.

Its the truffle fair soon in Alba . I wonder what the biggest one will be auctioned for. Last year I think it went to China.

DJB just looked on maps because I'd not heard of San Paolo Solbrito. They are near Villanova D'Asti about 3/4 hr away from us. Small world.

Its the truffle fair soon in Alba . I wonder what the biggest one will be auctioned for. Last year I think it went to China.

DJB just looked on maps because I'd not heard of San Paolo Solbrito. They are near Villanova D'Asti about 3/4 hr away from us. Small world.

I thought you must be in the same general area. Sadly (for me) they are moving to the UK in a few weeks and having someone live in their home there. As I'm sure you know, it's almost impossible to sell property in Italy right now. Their home was valued at €2.6 million but they've only had one offer of €700,000 in a year on the market. I'll have to find new friends to stay with in Italy , hint, hint.

You are such knowledgable people, knowing about truffles - I wouldn't recognise one ever. I was going to say originally that it was some old home-made play dough that hadn't been kept In the fridge!! That I DO know about

there are a lot of americans in this area looking for houses with a view. Sounds as though your friends have that sort of house. There is a couple here from Norway that find that sort of house to sell. If you want their email I may be able to get it for you. Its very difficult to sell to Italians they prefer to live in apartments.

Margie, it does look a bit odd but truffles are never pretty to look at. They smell vile and it doesn't give you the courage to taste it but they are delicious shaved onto even a fried egg.

there are a lot of americans in this area looking for houses with a view. Sounds as though your friends have that sort of house. There is a couple here from Norway that find that sort of house to sell. If you want their email I may be able to get it for you. Its very difficult to sell to Italians they prefer to live in apartments.

Yes please. They're stuck paying 4,000 euro a month mortgage and soon another £1200 to rent here as my friend Fraser has a job here. They really do need to sell but not at a loss.