Back In Time For The Weekend

A new t.v. series starts on Tuesday that sounds as though it will take many of us back and bring to mind things we may have forgotten. See below for details of the first episode

BBC2 - 8 PM TUESDAY FEB 2ND

Back in Time for the Weekend (6 episodes)
Episode 1 - The 50s

Like many modern families, the Ashby Hawkins home is stuffed full of tablets, computers, phones and gadgets to distract them in their spare time. But for one summer, they agreed to give up all their 21st-century technology and travel back in time to discover the radical transformation of our leisure time since 1950.

The family's own home becomes their time machine as they are transported back to a different decade each week. Guided by presenters Giles Coren and social historian Polly Russell, the family's entire experience is underpinned by The Family Expenditure Survey, a government study which ran from the 50s right through to 1999. The survey's detailed spending records give us the best possible clue as to what families were doing with their leisure time across the five decades.

As they enter the 50s, it's goodbye to their flat-screen TV and hello to a piano, some darning and a pipe to keep them amused. It's the era of formality and austerity, as many families bought little more than fags and a spool of thread from week to week.

Dad Rob finds out that he's expected to be handy with a tool kit, while mum Steph, who normally works full time, discovers that it's not her tablet or phone that she misses, but the family's white goods. Without them, she's stuck at home for hours with all the washing, cooking and cleaning expected of a 1950s housewife.

But there are upsides - 16-year-old Daisy gets a chance to learn ballroom dancing courtesy of Angela Rippon, who was a teenager in the 50s, while 12-year-old Seth discovers the joy of the great outdoors, spam fritters included...

• Upvote 2

Sounds interesting.

There have previously been BBC programmes with some similarities:

Turn Back Time - The Family (Edwardian era to 1970s).

Turn Back Time - The High Street (Victorian era to 1970s).

Electric Dreams - modern families coping with tech from 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

I watched this and it was quite interesting though very much like the other back in time programmes. I few things made me think.

1. Women could not go to a pub they said. When I was very small I remember my mum taking me to the Broad Oak in my push chair, with Muriel our next door neighbour and her son who was 3 years older than me. It was a lovely summer evening and we sat outside on the grass.

2. The Singer sewing machine was an electric one. There was a belt and no handle to wind it. In the early 50s our neighbour Muriel had a treadle machine. She used electric ones at Drury and Edwards where she worked and often she got the needle in her fingers.

3. The house was rented but the husband was doing DIY. We lived in a council house. My dad was very good at painting and decorating and he taught me to wallpaper. He did not do any DIY to the house other than putting up curtain rails and the glass shelf in the bathroom. He said it was not our house and so he was not doing improvements. We just took good care of it. We never had a door bell all the time we lived there and I have only just thought about it! People had to knock.

4. The Sunday school brought back memories. There was no Sunday school in Bilborough that I can remember. Sundays were boring. My friends went to Sunday school in Wollaton (Kingswood) and I was on my own so I asked my dad if I could go. He said yes and when we were very young parents took it in turns to take and collect all of us on Sunday afternoon. As we got a bit older we went on our own. When they built St John's Church my mum was totally disgusted that there were no bells, just a recording. My parents never went to Church and the only time I ever went to a service with my parents was grandfather's funeral at Wilford Crematorium. In the programme they said people conformed and went to Church. Not in Bilborough where we lived..

• Upvote 2

Just a reminder that part 2 is on tonight (BBC 2 at 8 pm) about the 60's see below.

The 60s

Back in Time for the Weekend Episode 2 of 6

Like many modern families, the Ashby-Hawkins home is stuffed full of tablets, computers, phones and gadgets to distract them in their spare time. But for one summer, they agreed to give up all their 21st-century technology and travel back in time to discover the radical transformation of our leisure time since 1950.

The family's own home becomes their time machine as they are transported back to a different decade each week. Guided by presenters Giles Coren and social historian Polly Russell, the family's entire experience is underpinned by the Family Expenditure Survey, a government study which ran from the 50s right through to 1999. The survey's detailed spending records give us the best possible clue as to what families were doing with their leisure time across the five decades.

As they enter the 60s, they get first-hand experience of the radical spirit of the age as Giles encourages the family to get rid of their piano in smashing 60s style. With a bit more money to go around, there's more fun to be had - a trip to the seaside, a Dansette record player for Daisy and even their own Mini to enjoy.

Special guests help the decade go with a swing. Sir Trevor Brooking joins dad Rob and son Seth for a game of Subbuteo in the dining room, proving that he's a demon on felt as well as grass. Daisy and mum Steph meet Sandie Shaw to discover how the decade's daring fashions reflected the growing freedoms and confidence enjoyed by young people

The one thing I have noticed about all the BBC programmes like this is that they are most certainly not about working class folk. To live like that in the 60s or 70s you would have to be at least bank manager level.

Apart from that I do like it, sat my 13 year old granddaughter down today and let her watch it.....gobbed smacked was an understatement. We then had half an hour discussing what it was like in New Basford, I am pretty sure she did not believe most of what I told her.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed tonight's programme. I noticed that they blocked out the registration number of the car. Last week in 1960 they got the year wrong for a D registration. Tonight this was the decade when I was just married. I worked full time all the time until our son was born and I only ever had maternity leave. I was never housebound and so tonight this was an eye opener to me.

We did home brewed wine. Lots of fun with friends consuming it at the local wine brewing club meetings!

#15 I agree with you NewBasfordlad that this programme only deals with one set of family circumstances. To include some detail of families in different areas and different income levels would give a better picture of the times. In the 1950s we lived in a council house with bathroom upstairs, gas and electricity and at the same time my husband's family lived in a tied farm cottage in East Anglia with water from a well, outside toilet with cesspit, a coal oven and tilley lamps. His mum had a very hard time. Mains water and electricity was not supplied until he was 13.

• Upvote 1

Just a reminder that the show is on tonight (BBC 2 8pm)

The 80s

Back in Time for the Weekend

Like many modern families, the Ashby-Hawkins home is stuffed full of tablets, computers, phones and gadgets to distract them in their spare time. But for one summer, they agreed to give up all their 21st-century technology and travel back in time to discover the radical transformation of our leisure time since 1950.

The family's own home becomes their time machine as they are transported back to a different decade each week. Guided by presenters Giles Coren and social historian Polly Russell, the family's entire experience is underpinned by the Family Expenditure Survey, a government study which ran from the 1950s right through to 1999. The survey's detailed spending records give us the best possible clue as to what families were doing with their leisure time across the five decades.

The family embrace the 80s, where TV and shopping dominated our leisure time. It is also the decade where technology arrives in our homes in a significant way. Kids Daisy and Seth are thrilled by the new VCR and home computer, and there is even a pager for Steph, who is now a shoulder-padded 80s businesswoman. Dad Rob has got plenty to occupy him - when he is not trying out the kids' CB radio, his home sunbed, or having his highlights done, he is shopping for a Don Johnson makeover with 80s fashion guru Caryn Franklin. But what does the arrival of all this stuff mean for family life?

Just watched this on iplayer. I remember the "changing rooms" programme they showed a short clip of with all the broken pots. That was the one where they did a room for a lady who collected tea pots and set up a hanging shelf. All her collection went on the shelf and when she came in to see the end result the support broke and the whole lot crashed to the floor. Such a shame but she seemed to take it well!

One thing common to all the programmes is a lack of book shelves in the homes of each decade. We had book shelves with books on in the 1950s and have always had them. Not the same ones but books have always been there. My grandparents were the same as I still have books that belonged to them. Granddad had gardening books and I have grandmother's Sunday school prizes.

You can never have too many books and bookshelves. It is something that is sadly lacking in the majority of today's households.

Up until recently, I still had many of my dads Penguin books, and he's been dead over 40 years.

Well, the 90's?! That must have been the most boring and dull decade of the century by the look of it. That snotty little kid was even more obnoxious than in previous episodes too.

• Upvote 2

F2. You are right. When I planned my study I gave myself more shelf space than I would ever need. Huh! I now move books out to make room for new acquisitions.

study%201_zpsaomigul7.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm envious Chulla. Is that TG Hepburn's book, top shelf, right hand side ?

What happened? I posted a reply to #23 and when I came back later it had gone.

So, yes, F2 that is Hepburn's book - you have good eyesight. I met him once at a model railway society annual meeting in Sherwood. I asked if I could buy some of his pictures taken in Basford and Bulwell. He said he did not print them anymore but had spare copies. I bought some. I have also bought pictures from another well-known railway photographer H C Casserley. Come up and see me sometime.

Casserley was good too. Wasn't he Retford based? My favourite local one is Tom Bousted, but I've never seen a complete book of his superb work.