Living in the same place for a long time

My parents moved from a rented house in Netherfield into a brand new house with a mortgage in 1958. Mum passed away in 1988 but Dad was still there until 2013, so 45 years.

Nobody noticed the deliberate mistake. My Dad was in the same house for 55 years, not 45.

No wonder I failed Maths 'O' Level.

• Upvote 2

We have lived in our house for 35 years and it is still "my new house". We extended rather than moving as we could not find anywhere else we liked as well.

My parents lived in Bilborough for 32 years. Mum left Nottingham after dad died. When we had found a suitable flat I called a well known removal firm to book a van. They were good when we moved here from our first house. I was completely disgusted and very angry when they said that they did not do removals for people in Bilborough! We found an excellent local Nottingham firm who did a great job. My mum moved to a second floor housing association flat with a lovely view over fields, just a mile and a half from where we live. She was happy there and made good friends.

Has anyone else heard of a removal firm refusing a booking from a Bilborough household?

My background is from Hyson Green. My parents moved from Hyson Green about 28 years ago to Selston, where they still live. To be honest I dont like Selston. Never have. Still don't. My parents moved there when I joined the army so it was up to them. I was going to be away for long periods of time but I personally would have preferred it if they had stayed in Nottingham itself rather than way out.

#27 Don't know about removal companies but I know many plumbers who won't accept calls there or in Bestwood Est. I can't blame them the kit on the back of the van costs to much these days.

I will go into Bestwood being local my van is known ...........but Bilborough no way.

I have heard it said that on average a person moves eight times in their lifetime. Don't know if it is true, but I just had a count up and I make eight moves for me! That means I average about 81/2 yrs each move?

#29 and #30 Thanks for your replies NewBasfordlad and Catfan. I had realised that Bilborough had gone downhill a bit in the last few years that my parents were there but it is so sad that it has become as bad as you describe. My mum did once mention that the police chased someone through all the back gardens. The criminal and antisocial people who live on the estates you mention are disadvantaging the ordinary honest citizens in the community and reducing the areas that tradespeople can work. Many towns and cities have "difficult" areas but it saddens me to hear this about the estate where I was brought up. I was happy there as a young person and I always felt safe. I had friends who lived in Wollaton and the parents of one of them did look down their nose at me because I came from Bilborough. This never bothered me as it did not impact on friendship.

The shortest time I have lived anywhere was 4 weeks in Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham. This was 4 weeks work I did before I got married. The money was very welcome and I liked it there. Interesting people!

I lived with my parents and two sisters on Carlton hill until I married at 23 .My husband and I then lived not far from my parents ,we were there about nine and a half years,then moved to Burton Joyce,where I still live with my daughter(hubby passed away in 2012)son married and divorced after 3 years ,now living with girlfriend.

Hard to believe Bilborough is not what it used to be. EMEB moved their base there from Wollaton Street while I was working for them In the late 60s. I liked being based out there. More easy accessibility, plenty of parking. Easy drive from Stockhill lane.

Nice fairly recent designed council houses, decent roads. We did quite a lot of sevice calls there. Sorry to hear of the decline. Sign of the times I guess.