Pub Next To the Turf Tavern?

I could have this completely wrong, but wasn't the Turf Tavern (still open AFAIK) next to another pub? I always thought it was very unusual to have two pubs next to each other.

We'd often go into the Turf for a 'quick one' on Saturdays if we were out shopping for clothes or records. Always seemed to be a lot of old blokes in there drinking Tenant's Gold Label.

Does anyone recall?

Col

Langtry's South Sherwood Street formally The Peach Tree.

The only pubs in Nottingham next door to each other although The Turf is actually on Parliament Street.

107635601.jpg

During the 60's it was a Shippo's pub I believe, and was normally one of our last ports of call on a Saturday night.

I don't know whether it was just me, but the beer was some of the worst in Nottingham.

Langtry's South Sherwood Street formally The Peach Tree.

The only pubs in Nottingham next door to each other although The Turf is actually on Parliament Street.

The Salutation and the Royal Children? Now, of course, there are loads next door to each other as certain areas are wall to wall pubs/bars.

Thanks Cliff, great pic.

Looking from the left towards the middle is the Don Juan coffee bar. Some great nights in there.

The Salutation and the Royal Children? Now, of course, there are loads next door to each other as certain areas are wall to wall pubs/bars.

There is a road Castle Gate? between The Royal Children & The Salutation

Bars Not what I would consider a traditional public house

Most of these "bars" I wouldn't be seen dead in. noblue

Was'nt there a Pub behind the 'Turf Tavern' on Foreman st called 'News house' or similar name ?......anyway remember being in it when 'Celtic' won the European Cup in 1967,........it used to be frequented by by Post and Nottingham Guardian Reporters........

Re: the Salutation being next to the Royal Kids. I haven't been in either for many years so things may be different behind the frontage, but from the street there appear to be several buildings separating them.

sal3.jpg

no............think that was the Pub...........getting mixed up because of the clientel...........News house is on St.James street ?

That's what I suspected.

Re: the other one on Forman Street. The tiles are distinctive. Could it have been this place under an earlier name ?

That's just the back of the Blue Bell, K which has an Upper Parliament Street address.

• Upvote 1

Thats it Stu.........ta mi-duck..........you'd have been too young to be in there in 67'.................lol.

As I worked in that area (above Queen Street Post Office) in the 70s, lunchtimes were spent mainly in the Blue Bell, but occasionally in the Peach Tree, Turf Tavern, Parliament House (Shippos pub on the corner of Market St), Black Boy, or TitT

On the day of the European Cup draw in 1978, I had a late start so heard the draw on the car radio. Went into the Blue Bell and shouted to my mates that Forest had been drawn against Liverpool. Chaos ensued as journos left their pints and cheese & onion cobs as they ran back to work!

• Upvote 1

Was'nt there a Pub behind the 'Turf Tavern' on Foreman st called 'News house' or similar name ?......anyway remember being in it when 'Celtic' won the European Cup in 1967,........it used to be frequented by by Post and Nottingham Guardian Reporters........

No public house listed as being on Forman Street in Kelly's Directory of 1950

In 1950 there were two News Houses

23 St Jame's Street

123 Canal Street

You can't really call The Blue Bell a pub nowadays. And the journalists, what's left of them at the Evening Post, are now mostly based in Birmingham.

And by the look of it know very little about Nottingham :No1:thumbsdown