Canning Circus Police Station

So I assume that there's no crime in the surrounding area then! Bloody marvellous!

Press release April 8, 2016

Canning Circus Police Station will close on Sunday 17 April this year as the teams move to their new base - the new Central Police Station at Byron House.

You will not notice any difference in the way the area is policed.

The local Safer Neighbourhood Team, Community Protection Team and the CID Team who are currently based at the Canning Circus building, will still be focused on the area which extends from Canning Circus, through the Lenton, Dunkirk, Radford and Wollaton areas from their new base a few hundred metres away on Maid Marian Way.

In fact the move, which will enhance our partnership with the City Council while reducing our building costs, will aid us in our ambition to improve the service we offer to our local communities, helping us keep Nottingham safe.

Oh thanks, that's really put my mind at rest !

You will not notice any difference in the way the area is policed.

The local Safer Neighbourhood Team, Community Protection Team and the CID Team who are currently based at the Canning Circus building,

I wonder if the 'We've nobody available team' and the 'We're not interested but here's a crime number' teams will join them?

Paddy Tipping has closed the public counter at Bulwell Police Station since last january.

The official reason given is that staff can be better deployed in those areas that really need it, ?

So all is well in Bulwell these days then, with crime not worth mentioning ?

AUSTERITY IS THE REASON !

• Upvote 2

Your have a chance to vote him out on May 5th. Only got in by default on a low turnout last time as most of us were not interested in the idea of a police and crime commissioner. We seemed to manage ok before these guys came on the scene. The only reason I'm voting this time is to tip Tipping out.

• Upvote 1

Great shame this,obviously earmarked as a " potential growth node" by some fast food chain!

An old work colleague of mine,Wade served at this station,same story here I'm afraid..and the crims know how long it takes to respond when some poor soul puts three nines in!!

Very interesting set of pictures.

I saw an old post card of Canning Circus which shows trams climbing up the hill (Derby Road) from town towards the roundabout.

Interesting to see the trolley buses going round in a circle there.

I know that area quite well.

It's certainly dying now - particularly Alfreton Road which just looks in a state of decay.

I remember a chap at Bulwell depot many years ago.

He retired about 1965 & he fondly recalled his first job on NCT.

As a fourteen year old his job was "points lad" at Canning Circus which meant his job was to change the points so the trams went the correct way !

The closure of Canning Circus, Central and various other stations in and around the greater Nottingham area is part of Home Office policy.They want policing to be based on hubs; generally out-of-town sites on low-cost business parks with the public communicating via regional call centres or on line. The Treasury likes the system because it is much cheaper and allows for greater sharing (ie cuts) of resources between neighbouring forces.

Senior officers tend to be very pro for one very good reason: they have to be in the Home Office's good books to look forward to promotion. Paddy Tipping can huff and puff, but so long as the Home Office controls career prospects it will always get what it wants in a nice low profile way.

• Upvote 2

Bamber

I was stationed at Worksop. We did foot patrol from Potter Street. Many times I put my helmet on with pride on the steps of the nick. It made lots of sense as we could ensure the safety of the market, and the security of the shops on the high street. We got acquainted with the shop owners and traders and we were a visible presence on the town centre. They knew us and we knew them. It worked very well, because we were there. It reassured people. This trust was lost later, and it is something which the police, to their credit, are trying to regain, with community policing initiatives.

• Upvote 2