50th anniversary - end of NCT trolleybuses

Hello Katyjay, pleased to meet you here. Arizona I see - was there once or twice - the perfect place to live. I back-packed it through there, slept on a school lawn, woke up happy and moved on, that was 1974. The last of the good years in my opinion.....it was safe and sound - just like those bus - trolley's in Nottingham.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m utterly fed up with hearing about all these ridiculous and mostly historical claims from the sad ‘me too’ brigade of middle-aged/old women who no doubt lapped it up at the time of the ‘offence’.  

Well, now the PM's father is being accused of 'nappropriate' touching.   If I made a list of all the occasions when that has happened to me, I'd be sitting here for a very long time. Since I

Caught that 39 a few times,i was in love with a girl who lived at the Carlton end,.........mind you could say that about the 6,17,18,28,43 and 44 as well.....lol.

Posted Images

Please excuse my ignorance - in America we had trolley-cars - I never heard of a trolley bus - I learn as I go, and really liked the photos posted on this page - as safe as yesterday!

Dave

Hi Tyafans, What America would call trolley-cars are trams in the UK. I think there is also a rather fuzzy distinction in the US between trolley cars, which tend to be operated on interurban routes, and streetcars which are for shorter distance city operations. You'll find a fair amount of abuse on here regarding the re-introduction of trams to Nottingham! The original tram system closed in 1935.

I was born in Albany, New York and raised in Latham, New York. Latham is just ten miles outside of Albany, when it used to be out in the country-side. I'm writing to you from Hiddenhausen, Germany - out in the countryside, and right in the middle of Germany. I moved here in 2002 to be with my partner girl-friend Brigitte. My parents and sister are still living just outside of Albany.

Now, if I might respectly ask - why are you in Arizona of all places? I have the feeling that given the chance, you and I would have a lot to chat about.

Dave

Hello Mr. Ford,

In the golden days - or good old days back home, and well before my time, there were street cars in Albany and another one outside of Albany that ran east to west for about 30 miles. They should have kept them in operation, and ran the roads around them. I'm not exactly sure, but one of two things happened to them (they were electric by the way).....they either dug up the tracks.....but as I remember it, they just paved over them and installed the road system.

Thank you for explaining the differences to me, as what was common place for you and others in England, was a rare thing for us baby boomers in the USA - on the east coast. San Francisco has the remaining Trolley Car these days - junp on and jump off, as you please.

Same day, same trolly, but the other side of the road. There were often floods at the island.

Note my blue and white ford anglia. c.1966.

8634133143_bd2e4e940c_c.jpg

This is the area today, some of the sandstone wall still remains, and the large house was it connected to the pit or Basford hall.

DSCF0795.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

DSCF0797.jpg

• Upvote 2

This is the area today, some of the sandstone wall still remains, and the large house was it connected to the pit or Basford hall.

Seems to be called "The Elms". http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM007797&prevUrl=

Which leads to this explanation of it, probably being the Ostler's House for Basford Hall. http://gohistoric.com/sites/elms-nottingham

TYAFANS, we moved here in '86 to buy and run a motel. We are near the Grand Canyon, hence us picking this little town. Sold the motel just before 9/11, perfect timing, as the tourism industry took a nose dive for a couple of years, as you will know. We are still in the same town we moved to 27 yrs ago, but live out in the sticks.

Thank You Katyjay,

I like honest replies like yours. I was taking care of my grand-mother during that period, we watched 9/11 right after the first plane hit the tower, we caught the second one hit. My gram was in shock, no one had ever attacked our country, long story short, she died because of this event roughly 37 days later - she just willed herself to death....she had enough of life - she was 96. But please don't tell me she had a long life, because before 9/11 she was basically healthy - her walking was a little slow, she ate well and I'd take her out on my car to visit family and friends every week.....her mind was excellent (sharp as a tack) and for a 96 year old country woman....in excellent shape.

Also, you might disagree with this, but the world is still reeling from the effects of 9/11 - it'll never be the same again.

Same day, same trolly, but the other side of the road. There were often floods at the island.

Note my blue and white ford anglia. c.1966.

8634133143_bd2e4e940c_c.jpg

Miners Welfare was further back behind the camera...behind that wall was Fowlers Pond....My main source for tadpoles.

For anyone interested, the Old Bus Photos website today has an extensive gallery of pictures from the last days of Nottingham trolleybuses.

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/wp-content/themes/Old-Bus-Photos/galleries/nottingham_trolleybuses_the_last_years/nottingham_trolleybuses_the_last_years.php

• Upvote 2

I don't know Mick, perhaps someone else knows. Having looked at my original image it dosn't look like it, it has a flat roof, Could it be an electricity sub station or a pumping station of some sort? I cannot go and look as I am somewhat disabled and now live a way away.

Apparently not?

Toll house can be seen centre right.

Also in #94 Traffic can be seen leaving the toll bridge, when did it become a pedestrian only bridge?

wilfordroad_zpsbac327b6.jpg

The original Toll Bridge was closed in 1974; that is the one which traffic was allowed on, and is in the background on BulwellBrian's photos.

That bridge was demolished and replaced by a new bike/pedestrian bridge in 1980.

That second one is now being enlarged and strengthened to take trams.