• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a few pics in town today. Difficult to get pictures as there were too many people. I shall add a couple more when I have edited them

Here's a few more This guy didn't seem too happy!

The 39 Carlton Trolley bus was always a last resort but much needed many times when I missed my Gedling Bus. No 67/67A? if I remember rightly. The only problem with the 39 was the terminus was a long

This article may cast some light on the braking systems on Nottingham's trolleybuses - http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/5th-june-1936/37/a-new-brake-system-for-trolleybuses

• Upvote 2

That answers that then ! Air brakes but very quiet without the hissing asciated with normal air brakes. The handbrake was the normal mechanical lever & ratchet type.

Master and I were just having a discussion on Trolley buses and then this came up on our notts site.

How many Trolley buses were they----One's that we remember are

40 47 St Ann's Well Road and Wells Road

44 Cowlick Road

39 Carlton

43 45 ?? not sure Trent Bridge

38 Hooton St

was there any more?

Loads. The only ones I have knowingly ridden on was 41. Cinderhill to Trent Bridge via King Street/Queen Street.

Thanks Cliff Ton and The Pianoman forgot the one that went to Trent Bridge. Will look at the other site.

• 3 months later...

I can remember catching the 44 from Bulwell Hall as a kid when I went to school. It used to meet up with the 43 in Bulwell at the marketplace which was an island in those days. There was a system on the wires similar to railway points. It wasn't unknown for the poles to detach from the wires when crossing this system and this would lead to the conductor pulling a long pole from under the bus to reconnect things. Once through the city centre the 44 went to Colwick Road and the 43 went to Trent Bridge. Happy days.

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2016 at 2:39 PM, The Pianoman said:

Now I want to know what brakes trolleybuses had. Did they have an electric system to produce vacuum?

No, they had simple drum brakes similar to other transport of the time.