Now where shall we begin??

My memories of a Sunday from way back when consist of getting up, A bowl of tinned Grapefruit and a Bacon sandwich, off to Church/Sunday school, home for dinner (1.30pm on the dot) listening out for my dad to come down Cavendish Road, wheeling his wheelbarrow home from the allotment and whistling his head off!!

After dinner and dad had had a nap it was out for a walk. This was some times on the bus to Wollaton Park (One bus ride) or if we were really lucky (And Dad was 'flush') it'd be two bus rides and a visit to Highfields for a walk to the far end of the lake and back, or if my dad was 'real flush' he'd spring for a rowing boat and take us all out for a row.

Other times we would walk down to where the Carlton / Netherfield train line crosses Station Road and turn right towards Colwick woods, all the way we would be educated by what we were seeing , (Blackbirds , Thrushes, Squrrels etc and what tree was what.) We learnt to distinguish Brambles from Belladonna, Cow Parsley from Butter cups, and Ragged Robin from Cranes Bill.

After a mile or so the path continued over a foot bridge to Colwick Road or turned right up through the woods, we (usually) turned right, up the steep path to emerge in Bakersfield not far from the Elwes Arms. Then it was a "Britvic Orange" with a paper straw, that always collapsed befor you'd finished your drink, after that it was a nice easy walk home (Down Greenhill rise) in time for Salmon and Cucumber sandwiches , and then spend a little while pulling all the burrs off of your clothes !!!

Happy days !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were fortunate that my dad had a car even in the mid forties. He worked for the Ministry of Food and needed transport for his work, I think. This meant that we were able to have trips out on summ

Sundays as a Ten year old in mid 50s meant Football at 10 oclock on Bulwell Common Sunday Dinner 1pm Sunday school in the old Church Hall............only occasionally Best clothes and trip to Gran

Now where shall we begin?? My memories of a Sunday from way back when consist of getting up, A bowl of tinned Grapefruit and a Bacon sandwich, off to Church/Sunday school, home for dinner (1.30pm on

The most memorable one involved the Barton Ferry mentioned in the other thread.

We were already living in Long Eaton, and I must have been seven or eight. We must have left home in the late morning - walked to the Barton ferry and were rowed across the river in said ferry! Then we walked to Gotham to visit friends of may parents. Probably had a cup of tea and set off home. When we arrived at the ferry, it was probably about 7:00pm and there was not a sole in sight. We shouted and yelled as best we could - to no avail. I remember being distinctly worried we would be spending the night on the side of the river. However, after about 30 mins. somebody did come out of the "ferry house" (may to visit that bog?) and we were able to get their attention - and were duly transported back across the river. We probably got home around 9:30pm!

I know we were all totally knackered - and the adventure did put a stop to my dad's wild "lets all walk to..." plans - intervention from a VERY tired mother I expect! Looking at the map, my guess is it is at least eight miles EACH WAY! As I said - I was probably 8 years old - but my sister was four or five! I doubt most families would even think of doing such a thing today!

I remember that our Sunday walk with Dad would take place in the morning to let Mam get the dinner in peace.

The baby would be in the pram and it`d be down the Bank (Embankment).

The highlight of the walk would be playing 'roly poly' down the slopes to the sports field.

Simple pleasures, eh?

When we were a bit older we`d be at the Sally Army Sunday School and Dad got a break.

We had no garden and no allotment so I reckon he`d be on shoe cleaning duty or summat.

I remember him whitening our plimsolls and putting them on the coalhouse roof to dry.

The furthest we ever got taken on a bus was either to beeston or extreamly rarly into the BIG city...Nottingham...I can remember once the journey continued and we caught a bus in Nottingham to go somewhere else...seemed to be on the bus for ages ( like a coach trip )..went to this huge packed park and zoo..all oldy worldy castle type walls..wandered around the 'lake' and saw all the caged beasts etc.....Found the 'bl00dy' thing years later on my own...we went to the Arbouretum......

Good 'un Kev!

I also remember trips to the Arboretum, or the Castle and, after we moved to Long Eaton, Wollaton Park (speaking of roly-poly)!

On a few occasions, my dad would take me to Mallory Park - Bartons would run a "special" from Long Eaton when they had races there. These are my earliest memories of going to car races - an interest that has stayed with me to this day! In fact, there are motorcycle races at Mallory Park the weekend I am there, so if the weather is decent I might spend a day there - it will bring back very happy memories!

Strange how you remember some things as you were young but not the full details. I can remember a waterfall and walking behind it, i could have been about 6. Its only last year i came across it again, its at Newstead Abbey.

Newstead Abbey! That was a popular one when we lived in Arnold - the bus dropped you at the gates on Nottingham Road (A60) and I used to dread the walk up to the Abbey! I bet they have shuttle buses these days!

I remember, years later, being very disappointed when I realised the waterfall, and the walk behind it, were all man-made!

Nice topic Ian, would you say that your old man was a bit of a stickler for routine like mine was.

Our family pride and joy was the tandem, no car them days. If the weather was fine, it was out for a ride early sunday morning, dad on the front, me brother on the back and me on a little red seat in the middle, mother stayed at home and prepared dinner, I think she liked us all out the way.

The usual route was Wolly Park, across the Trent, Clifton, Barton, Thrumpton, look at the Gypsum steam engine, Kegworth, A6 to Long Eaton and back along the canal via the canal side pub at Sandiacre.

If we were lucky it would be over to Hucknall to see what was parked on the airfield then off to Annesley Engine sheds. The most gruelling trip was to go and see his brother at Farnsfield, at worse, we had to visit Aunt Fanny there too.

Thing is, we always got home in time for dinner at 1:30, then if it was a nice day, we'd all be off to Wollaton Park, no respite them days, everything was sorted, we always did something, for me, going out with mates was a no go situation, not that I was that bothered, life was never boring at our house.

We'd occasionally take a big trip and a picnic, favoured location was Lincoln, but a lesser one would be Trent Lock, and quite often Crich. That was a good one, B2 outside the door to Ripley, Trent bus from Ripley Market place to Crich, then a hike up to Crich Stand to admire the view, in later years we'd go and see how the Tram Museum was getting along. But we'd have our picnic at Crich and be marched down the road to Wingfield Manor, a quick chat with the farmer and we'd have a guided tour. A pint in the local pub, whatever it was called, a bus to Alfreton then home courtesy of Midland General via Mount Street, bloody exhausting.

We had a neighbour, George Poyser, he was one of the few people on the estate with a car, though they tended to be ancient pre war thingy's. I recall the old man had a trip to Trent Lock planned, we walked out the house and got cornered by George, 'Where are you off to', 'Having a picnic at Trent Lock so Peter can watch the trains'. 'I'll show Peter some trains, get in'. The old man was horrified at having his plans changed, me, it was great, a rare ride in a car and we ended up having a picnic in a field by a river next to the WCML near Tamworth, ecstasy for me, loved it, we even called into a pub on the way home near Kegworth owned by Mrs Mills, she gave us a bash on the joanna, great stuff, incredible days, I think I was lucky having such an enthusiastic dad.

Under carriage lever a bit sticky sir??

Sorry Guv - got it sorted for him! Chucked the missed approaches into the rubbish pile! inthebin.gif

Our walk was usually Sunday evening. Got sent to Sunday School morning and afternoon. No doubt so my folks could be rid of me for a while.

In the evening we would walk from Netherfield alongside the railway yard and through the fields beside the Trent past the weir to Stoke Bardolph where my folks would spend some time and money in the Ferry Boat Inn. I would remain outside with an orange juice and strict instructions not to fall in the river or be abducted by some guy who might offer me a car ride.

Other times it was a ride on the bus to Southwell and drinks at the Saracens Head with similar instructions except no handy river to fall in.

Interesting days.

Firbeck - where did you live in them days?

Trent Lock was a favorite with us kids when we moved to LE. Lots of access routes - especially on a bike! In later years, the Navvy was well known for turning a blind-eye to underage drinkers - so was a popular hangout on summer evenings.

Crossing the railroad bridge to Red Hill was also a popular adventure - if somewhat nerve wracking! All before the power station was built of course!

I do seem to remember there were a number of "beach" type huts on the south side of the river - probably used by devout fishermen. I think they are all gone now.

had the occasional trip to long eaton speedway too...think it was thursday evenings.

If that was in the mid 60's - I was there!

I was a die-hard Long Eaton Archers fan - and missed very few meetings in the 66, 67 and 68 seasons (I think). Yes, it was Thursday nights - so it meant you missed "Top of the Pops" - but it was worth it! Behind the stand was the Pavilion Hotel - which had a "bar" door that opened into the stadium - and was the site of a number of underage "halfs" for me and my friends!

Always sat on the rail in front of the stand - right at the start/finish line!

I do seem to remember there were a number of "beach" type huts on the south side of the river - probably used by devout fishermen. I think they are all gone now.

They were indeed , my mate still owned one (Or had access to one) in about 1990 . I used it the one and only time I ever went night fishing with him .

Speaking of fishing , I can't remember the last time I went Coarse fishing !! bleddy computer getting in the way !!

I used to go to Long Eaton speedway stadium on a Bank holiday when they had all the Stock car racing including demolition derbys

Happy days again!!!!

Oh yes - summer evenings walking over the 'apenny bridge to the Ferry Boat Inn. Would it have been in Wilford?

Sitting outside with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps with a salty blue one at the bottom. Mam and Dad with their glasses of ale.

There was a swing too, if I remember rightly.

And picking buttercups and daisies in the fields running down to the river.

Yep mainly went to long eaton speedway for the stock car racing...yep would have been mid to late 60s...and always missed 'totp' as my parents never turned over from ITV.

Fantastic thread, this is the reason I signed up to this great site, reading all these memories has bought back some of my own, well done Beefsteak

Rog

(under carriage lever stuck sir?) I wouldn't tell the CO that if I were you

Newstead Abbey! That was a popular one when we lived in Arnold - the bus dropped you at the gates on Nottingham Road (A60) and I used to dread the walk up to the Abbey! I bet they have shuttle buses these days!

1.8m each way Eric!

At one time a long time ago the old Trent service to Mansfield and Chesterfield would do a dog leg up the main drive from the A60 at certain times (usually a Sunday). It's still a case of using Shank's Pony these days as far as I am aware. I normally walk in (free of charge) via the bridal way at Papplewick.

Don't thank me so much as thanking Firbeck for giving me the idea in the first place.

Firbeck - where did you live in them days?

Limey??? Firbeck estate of course, though mother liked to think it was described as 'Off Trowell Road', she was/is a bit of a snob and, owning their house, didn't want to be thought of as a council tenant, even though their houses were better than ours, that's what hurt.

Trips to Trent Lock took many forms, there were the saturday tandem trainspotting trips, when, if dad was lucky, the cycle trip along the Erewash canal meant he could get a pint in at the Nav before it closed for the afternoon, then we'd sit next to the canal bridge and watch the trains, followed by a visit to Trent Station for a cup of tea, then home:

scan0007-8.jpg

Sundays were different, we'd take a picnic, go into Nottingham on the bus then catch the train to Trent, walk down towards the river, crash, then watch the trains, I'm sure mother was oblivious to all this scheming, probably not.

As far as the 'railroad' bridge is concerned, I legged it over the other side only once, we wanted to know what was in the turrets on Red Hill tunnel, absolutely nothing. However, we investigated the room at the bottom of the water tower at the junction and found an intact Home Guard base, gas capes and helmets still hung on pegs, how that had survived into the mid 60's was beyond me, yes, we did help ourselves to what was left.

I can't remember the fishermans huts, how did folk get access to them, over to Beefsteak.

To go along with previous comments:

scan0008-6.jpg

Young Firbeck at Crich at Whitsuntide, 1958.

scan0009-7.jpg

My brother and I at the top of the tower at Lincoln Cathedral, August 1958, I bet Health and Safety wouldn't let folk do that now.

Haircuts by the way courtesy of the Regent Street salon, visited under pain of death.

Got it - your mum must have been related to mine!

But what was the connection to the Long Eaton/Sandiacre area? Did your dad have connections there - it just seems unusual that you would venture to Trent Lock rather than Nottingham, The Embankment, or Wollaton Park. I guess I am just surprised that Trent Lock may have been something of a "tourist" destination! I suppose we always simply took it for granted!

Another popular destination when we lived in Arnold was (what we called) Woodthorpe Park - I think its official title is "Woodthorpe Grange Park". I didn't like going there - it typically involved walking one way, bus t'other, but I think I found the place boring - not much for an only boy to do - sometimes having two sisters put a real damper on my exploratory nature!

The Fishermans huts were in a row of about 6 (We accessed them from Barton villiage ) But looking on Goo gle earth they were no where near the railway line which is a lot further up stream towards the motorway , so in hindsite, I don't think these were the ones Limey is on about

Haircuts by the way courtesy of the Regent Street salon, visited under pain of death.

Did you have to sit on the board they put over the chair arms.....weren't they evil back then.