The Useless Bits Of Information Department !

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favourite is Ganesh because I love elephants and I hate the way brainless human idiots hunt them for ivory. Lets have lots more elephants and a lot fewer people! 

When I was a child, my father woke me up one morning, all excited, insisting I come outside and look at something wonderful in the garden. It turned out to be a chocolate tree! Well, I was only tiny a

Errrr, you sure it's ounces and not grams Catfan?   44 oz of Yorkie bar would even stump Carni ! 

Useless information - or things you don't see - or things you haven't seen for ages........

Today I saw a coal man carrying sacks of coal off his lorry and taking them round the back of a house. First time I've seen that actually happening for probably over 40 years.

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton, park outside my house later this week and you'll see it happening again. Park there on Wednesday and you can see the sweep's brush sticking out of the chimney...I always run out to have a look like an overgrown child! The Multi fuel stove will be back in service as soon as the weather gets cold!

As a child, our chimney was swept by a Mr Glover who lived on Chamomile Street, off Berridge Road. He had a tribe of grubby looking children who never seemed to have any shoes, and a harassed looking wife! He transported his brushes and rods on an old pram. Happy days!

When I was a lad the local chimney sweep lived round the corner from us on Deepdene Way. He always went around on a bike, with his dog running beside him. He always pedalled fast, that poor dog running like mad to keep up with him.

Is there any smell worse than a sooty chimney on fire?

grew up with an open fire,just something magic about looking at the flames and the sound of it..........and its the only thing I miss about Village life,where we had a log fire...........my ex still lives there and the Fire still warms me 'cockles' when I visit...........lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure you it wouldn't have stumped my mother, Lizzie! I once threatened to get her a part-time job with Thorntons in a bid to cure her chocolate addiction. On the other hand, I think it may well have bankrupted the company!!

• Upvote 1

M&S used to do these things they sold very close to the checkout,  Little bars.  Italian sounding name wot I cant remember. Some kind of chocolate and hazelnut cream thing that was so gorgeous it was probably illegal and definitely immoral.  I want one.  NOW!!!!

• Upvote 1

Could it be Gianduia or Tronky or Baci Perugina or Kinder Bueno. Cant think of any more. Was it in a wafer or all chocolate. Theres a lot of hazlenuts in this area and most hazlenuts from here are used in confectionary.

When I was a child, my father woke me up one morning, all excited, insisting I come outside and look at something wonderful in the garden. It turned out to be a chocolate tree! Well, I was only tiny at the time.

It was a bare branch, stuck in the ground, with bars of chocolate dangling from the twigs.

Ever the rationalist, I asked why it had no leaves, it being the middle of summer, and how the tree had grown paper wrappers on the chocolate. Slightly exasperated, my father explained that it was a magic tree which could do anything and had just appeared in the middle of the night!

My older sister was too busy stuffing her face with Fry's chocolate cream to make any comment and my mother was trying not to split her sides with laughter.

I've never been a huge chocolate fan but after a day or so, the tree started growing bars of Old Jamaica and Bournville Plain, in red wrappers, much to my mother's delight!. After a couple of weeks, it vanished as mysteriously as it had appeared. Got too expensive, I suspect but it's a lovely memory from a fantastic childhood!

• Upvote 4