Just been reading the news about the current Baby Show at Olympia. Astounded at the price of designer baby beds, etc.

I spent my early months in a wicker moses basket on a stand. It had been used by my older sister eight years earlier and the same mattress, blankets and sheets were no doubt pressed into service again for me. The same applied to my pram and cot. There was no messing around with cot bumpers which have been declared safe/unsafe more times than most babies have had hot dinners and I also had pillows which are now a definite no no! As to the hot water bottle I snuggled up with, horror of horrors...nowadays, baby must not get too hot!

A good friend of mine experienced a traumatic birth and was put on one side as virtually dead and unrecoverable. Her grandmother, a former suffragette and nurse, picked her up by the ankles, gave her a good whack, smothered her in goose grease and then wrapped her gasping little body in good old brown paper. She was then put to bed in a dresser drawer!

All this took place in 1940 at Shakespeare Villas. Said friend is still here to tell the tale.

Apparently, you can now purchase a four poster crib for the princely sum of £14000!

Come on, Nottstalgians, let's be knowing where your first place of repose was, even if it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

I had a normal size cot  right from the beginning - the same one that my brother had used 7 years earlier.  Don't know for certain but I expect it was the same mattress.  No idea whether I had a pillow or not!  I do remember the cot being in the same room as my parents' bed - I have a memory of waking up in the night crying, and my mum coming across the room to pick me up.

• Upvote 1

Where can you buy one Jill for next time I'm pregnant.:Shock:

I think I slept in a drawer for a while remember hearing a story like that.

Here babies have the best of everything when they're born and laden up with gold chains, rings and earrings.

• Upvote 1

I also had a wooden high chair, another hand me down from my sister! It was plain hard wood, no upholstery whatsoever. It was hinged in the middle and could fold in half to form a low chair on wheels. Trapped my little fingers in it more than once! Saw the identical model in an antiques centre in Matlock a few weeks ago! :blink:

As for play pens, we didn't have one of those. I was just very closely supervised by the maternal eagle eye, entertained and chatted to as she did her daily chores. Probably explains why, by the age of 18 months, people were telling me to be quiet! :mellow:

I had one of those high/low chairs, Jill, and my mum also just carried me around as she did the housework, or so I've been told

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There was no messing around with cot bumpers which have been declared safe/unsafe more times than most babies have had hot dinners and I also had pillows which are now a definite no no! As to the hot water bottle I snuggled up with, horror of horrors...nowadays, baby must not get too hot!

Safe or unsafe back in our day there was no internet or mobile phone distractions, you looked after & watched your babies & kids not the telly. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks to this thread Jill, I'm now driving myself barmy trying to think what my wicker crib was called. Mam didn't call it a Moses basket, but summat else. Darned if it will come to me.

Was it a bassinet, KJ?  According to the news item, a solid gold bassinet is available for well heeled parents to purchase. I don't know how much it costs. As they say, if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it! :blink:

My crib was a big affair with wooden-rodded sides, one of which slid down. Haven't got a picture of it but have a picture of my first means of transport, date 1940 (and katyjay's), a Pedigree perambulator.

Me%20in%20pram_zpsvmtagass.jpg

• Upvote 2

The page number is 12, Jill - wave your cursor over the number at top right. Yes, that's me.

• Upvote 1

I think for the first few weeks of my life, I slept in the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers.

On the floor I might add, not inside !

• Upvote 1

No, it wasn't anything as posh as a bassinet, Jill. It will come to me eventually. Chulla, any idea what that basket, downstairs in the corner, wi' me in it, was called?

For a start it wasn't Aspley, it was Cinder Hill. It was 1940 and houses had blackout, which I assume this was part of. The photo was taken by a neighbour a couple of doors away, so it might have been taken outside his house.  

Edit. Not only can I not remember what it was called , I can't remember it at all.

I had no idea your eldest child was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, Loppy, aka a member of The Grand Order of Bulwellia! I am suitably impressed.

The daughters of a friend of mine sent for a free sample of Tena Lady products which arrived, addressed to her, on her 50th birthday! Cruel! :wacko:

• Upvote 1