Watch out ASPLEH !

I know it's a long shot but,don't you think one of the Aspleh mob will be able to recognise that buses reg number and target the other buses? just a thought

Rog

I may have said this in another thread. If so please forgive, but it seems to me that Aspley was not a bad place in my day back in the sixties.  I dated one or two girls from that neck of the woods.  Had a few service calls up there in my electric board days.  They always seemed like nice enough folks.  It may not be PC for you to answer, but what went wrong?

Aspley,Broxtowe,Strelley,Beechdale,and Bilborough are all sort of merged together and people tend to call it all Aspley,so it gets tagged for all the problems.............each area had a Coop or two.......and a Marsdens or Farrands,and over the years I worked in all of em,from the 60s to the early Os,and they all got rougher with each passing decade............Having said all that there are some really nice people living up there............

• Upvote 3

All the council estates were lovely to live on when I was growing up. Very neat and tidy with dads that worked and mums that stayed home. Don't know about the other estates, but Bells Lane Estate started to decline as my parents and their peers started to pass away. Younger folks came in, who didn't have the same standards as our generation. By the time I left the UK, our old street had speed bumps on it to slow down the boy racers, front gardens were being slabbed over, etc. A lot of welfare folk moved in, and there went the neighbourhood! It was then likened to The Bronx. 

• Upvote 4

That is true regarding decent people. most problems there today are a result of feral youths having no respect for anyone except themselves. They will rob anyone blind without any morals. A great pity really as at one time Aspley was a much sort after area to live.

Parents who breed offspring who turn into feral youths are another problem, they don't give a toss what their offspring get up to.

Again poor parenting at it's worst.

Sadly now a twentyfirst century way of life to many, high unemployment never helped, no opportunities etc etc.

I had many aunts & uncles live in the old Aspley.

• Upvote 2

Spot on Katy..........same with me and the old Bestwood estate.......and nowadays its been made worse by Private Landlords charging exhorbitant rents of up to £150 per week for houses that were meant for the working classes.........what chance have some of these young people got........feel sorry for many of em...............

• Upvote 5

My Grandmother lived on Minver Cresc from when it was built in 1930 until she died in 1980 and there was nothing wrong with it up to that date. I have no real knowledge of it since up until about a year ago, and I have probably said this on here before, when I did a short cut through there, up Aspley Lane, Amersham Rise, Minver Cresc, down Rosslyn Drive and onto Bells Lane and then omm! I darent have stopped even for a couple of minutes 'cos if I had there would have been no wheels on me van! I won't be going around there again!

• Upvote 1

I had family too, who lived in Aspley and I grew up in Bilborough.  Don't know about Aspley now but when I've been to Bilborough in the last few years, there's been a steep decline.  No pride in their houses and gardens, often.  When I see my Mum's garden now, I'm glad she can't see it

Ann I worked at Farrands on Bracebridge drive in the 60s (bet I served you)............then in the 90s at the Coop...........and it was a completely different area...............

Think Scoop were winding up when I joined em Red,...............the only Scoop I remember was at the Coop on Southchurch drive Clifton..........

A lad I grew up with and who now lives in Leics told me a few years ago, that on a business trip to Nottingham,  decided to drive out to look at his old house.  He stopped outside the house to look at it, and was immediately surrounded by a gang of youths maybe 12yrs old. He said he was so scared, he drove straight off.

There are areas like this all over the country.

It is wrong to class all residents of such areas as 'Scum', or 'Chavs'.  Many are doing their best and have little opportunity to get out.  And why should they?

I saw Bestwood Estate. (Where I was raised. the first one, bounded by Southglade, Andover, Gainsford etc,) go from a pleasant and low crime area to one which was portrayed in the Gutter Press as 'Nottingham's Crime and Drug Ridden Bestwood Estate'.  Of course it was nothing of the sort.  It wasn't as nice as it used to be, but my old Mum, my Sister and several other non criminal, non drug taking, hard working relatives lived there throughout.

As usual, the simple descriptions, from the hard of thinking, make the headlines.

What we need are solutions.

The 'Hang Em and Flog Em' brigade have had their chance and failed.

So now what?

Col

• Upvote 3